Any Home Button issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trlyka, Oct 15, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I noticed I had to click the home button several times today to get the phone to react :confused:

My Mom reported the same today. I have the 32G and she has the 16G iPhone 5.

Could that be software related? Or just hardware? I also noticed my Home button seems more clicky or noisy. It's not the softer sound of my 4.

Perhaps I am not picking and maybe I shouldn't expect the same feel of the Home button as my 4, but it doesn't feel as solid as I would expect.

2. Paddict macrumors newbie

Starting happening with my 4 recently, i found that they slowed the clicking recognize time and now u have to press longer and slower then b4

3. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The iPhone 4's home button is known to have defect and if you bought in in the first few months chances are your home button will die within a year. The 4S allegedly improved the design and in my personal experience, the home button of my 4S bought last November is still perfect.

According to iFixit Apple has further improved the home button for the 5.

4. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Is your iPhone naked?

Chances are its sweat/oil from your face/fingers.

Give it a good clean with alcohol and a compressed air can.

5. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

My 3GS and 4 are not being used. I have had the 5 for less then a week.

I did not have any issues with my 4. It was recently replaced in May due to a bad battery. As a matter of fact, it worked better then my 5 IMO. I do know that over time, if you don't keep your phone clean, the home button needs to be cleaned from inside. That isn't the case for my 5. It's not old enough to be dirty and I am careful with my phone.

----------

Yeah, a lot of people have this issue. See what I discovered when I was at the Apple store. See thread here

6. jedblanks macrumors newbie

My wife had this issue, and then it fixed itself as we arrived at the Apple Store. Couldn't demonstrate it to the rep.

They changed the home button pad anyway. Apparently something new they can do on the iPhone 5. Took 10 min. Works like new.

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I find that the home button on the 5 has a different feel than the 4, definetily more of a hard click than a soft push. But it works just fine. If your having to press it multiple times to get it to work I'd take it in and have it looked at.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

9. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Press and hold the lock button until "slide to power off" comes up and then quickly let go of the lock button and press and hold home button until it goes away. That calibrates the home button.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

good to know. Seems like that is one of the first things to go as the phones age.

11. jedblanks macrumors newbie

Well they said they replaced it. Could have rubbed their ----s on it for all i know.

She did say it felt more "clicky"....whatever that means.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

It's hardware related. I bought my iPhone 5 and it was doing this. I brought it back to the apple store, they swapped it out for a new one....no more problems.

----------

I was told they can't do repairs in store...they will only replace the phone.

13. michaelmac3 macrumors member

My 5 has major home button issues. It didn't the first week after I got it (9/28) but it slowly started not working right. At first it was a couple times where I would have to double click it, but now it's totally F'd. It can be anywhere from working 50% of the time, to 25% of the time, to me being able to click it 20+ times before it finally responds.

AT&T told me I cannot return defective iPhones to them, regardless of my 30 days. Told me I must call Apple and get an exchange. Closest Apple store is ~2 hrs away unfortunately. Hope they even have some in stock to send me. Might keep it, might eBay it and try a red s3. Who knows.

14. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I called Apple and told them I had issues getting the phone to react with the Home button. She was quick to offer a replacement. They are sending me a new one in a couple of days. I should have it by Monday. I could have gone into an Apple store, but since they can't tell me ahead of time if they have the phone in stock, I opted for them to ship it to me. No sense in wasting time. If they didn't replace it, the issue would be hovering over me and who knows what else may go wrong. I wasn't happy with the way the Home button was acting anyway, so better to get it done and replace it.

----------

Call Apple (800-MY APPLE 692-7753) and they will replace it. They will also put a hold on your credit card for the retail price, but as long as you send yours back, they release the hold.