Any iBlason iPhone 6 battery case reviews? Any other battery cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by slipper, Dec 12, 2014.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

2. kkay5 macrumors newbie

I just had an iBlason battery case for my iPhone 6 Plus delivered a few hours ago. So far I really like it. Tomorrow will be the real test when I can try it out and charge my phone. I can never make it through the day without charging my 6 plus.

3. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

A friend just got his, I'm very impressed.

Using my iPhone 6+ as much as I do, I may buy one for mine.

4. kkay5 macrumors newbie

I am going to charge my case and try again, but I just charged my phone up 60% and the power is almost gone from my case. I was expecting to get a full charge out of the phone at least! Hopefully, it was just a fluke or I will return it.

5. kkay5 macrumors newbie

I think I am going to return mine. I can't even get a full phone charge out of my case and when I try to charge the case with my phone in, it's not charging the case! The only way I can get it to charge is to plug the case in seperate and I don't want to keep taking my phone out of the case.

6. MC355 macrumors member

I just ordered one for 6 plus. It got overall good reviews on Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. Hope it works well and I like it

7. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Someone posted one by Supcase somewhere. Looked good. I assume they found it on Amazon

8. technosix macrumors 6502a

A friend has the iBlason and he's getting phenomenal run times. If not for the weight and thickness which makes it feel so bulky, I'd buy one.

I'm going to wait for Mophie not that it'll be that much different, but I've enjoyed the stellar quality and customer support they provide.

9. AlphaGuitarist macrumors regular

I got the 1byOne charging case on Amazon for $40, which appears to be the same exact case as the more expensive Trianium S and Alpatronix versions. It's MFi-certified and is working like a charm so far. I'll see how it holds up in the long run, as I can't really justify spending $120 on a similar capacity Mophie case.

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I just got a Zerolemon 3100mah battery case. It's ability to charge is great, but I don't like how slick it is in the hand. It's a soft touch material, but slides right out of your fingers/palm if you don't hold it tight. I plan to review it soon, though I'm trying to get myself to use it, but again, I hate the total lack of grip combined with the extra weight.

11. AlphaGuitarist macrumors regular

I am still debating on whether I will leave the case on at all times, or only use it when I expect heavy battery consumption. I really miss the form factor of the Tech 21 EVO Mesh case that I was using previously, but I need the extra battery life. As many others have already stated, I really wish Apple gave the iPhone a bigger battery, even at the expense of making it a bit thicker.

12. MC355 macrumors member

13. kkay5 macrumors newbie

I am surprised by all these good reviews of this battery case. Makes me wonder if I just had a bad one. For those that have this case, I would be curious if your case works the same. First, I didn't feel like the case protected my 6 plus well enough. I dropped my phone a couple of times and both times the front part of the case came off and the second time, my phone was scratched in the fall.

The biggest thing for me was when I plugged in the case to charge, the case automatically started charging my phone. The phone would get to 100 and then the case would never charge because it was still charging the phone. If I turned off the case, it would then start charging the case. But it made it so I couldn't plug my phone in at night and have the phone and the case be charged in the morning without intervention.

For those with this case, is yours working differently?

14. Eric5964 macrumors regular

Eric5964

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Yeah. My thinking with the Zerolemon is too keep it around in the case of an extended power outage or some such thing.

16. shawnpuerto macrumors member

I just can't seem to justify the bulk the phone would use... I charge mine all day at work, so even if there were a power outage at home, I dont think I would need one. Good for you for thinking ahead, though!

17. MC355 macrumors member

Out of all the Amazon reviews for the I-basin I did read a few bad ones so maybe there are a few lemons in the bunch?
    Hopefully I don't have a lemon. My just got delivered today. I'll play with mine after work tonight and report my initial impressions here.

I am concerned about the weight and how protective it is. I have little kids so if it falls and damages the phone I may have to return it

18. AlphaGuitarist macrumors regular

I actually removed mine last night and put on a clear Spigen Ultra Hybrid that I got when the iPhone 6 was released. Although it's not as protective as the Tech 21 case I mentioned earlier, I really can't see myself using the battery case on a regular basis after going back to a slim profile case. It's officially been relegated to future use only when heavy battery consumption will be expected.

19. MC355 macrumors member

So got my I-basin in the mail yesterday. Charged the case and phone separately. This morning is my first true use of the battery case and phone together. ( I did charge the phone and case together for a bit and it does seem to charge the phone first which is good. Instructions say it'll charge the phone first then the battery case second )

My first impressions:

- Case does add some weight and heft which is expected but not as bad as I thought. I've had the zero lemon for my note 3 before and the zero lemon was at least twice as heavy.

- case does add a bit height to my iPhone 6 plus but I don't even notice it. So that's a good thing.

- I came from a Thule Atmos X3 case which had a nice grip to the case. The I-blazon unfortunately is a bit slippery in the back. Not horrible but more slippery than I'd prefer. Hopefully it's from being new and get less slippery with use

- can't comment on battery life yet but I'm sure it'll charge my phone at least 1.5 times from dead if not more based on simple math. Battery case is 4700 mah in size

- overall construction of the case is very good. I am very impressed. Seems substantial. Doesn't feel cheap in the hand at all.

I'll update this as I use the case more and more.

20. kkay5 macrumors newbie

Please do update as you use the case more. When I plugged my case in, it would charge the phone first too, but when the phone was at 100%, it wouldn't switch to charging the case unless I held the button down to turn the case off. I would be very interested to know how your case works!!

21. ihonda macrumors 68000

Got my ZeroLemon case in today. Charging it now I'll report back.

22. MC355 macrumors member

Ok I definitely will. Haven't charged the phone and case together yet. Guess now would be a good time!

But the weight difference after an afternoon of use is not an issue anymore. In fact I don't even notice the weight difference anymore. Which is a good thing.

Today I got my iPhone 6 plus down to 35% battery and turned on my I-blasonbattery case. Took 2 hrs to charge till full but I was still using phone while it was charging. When phone was fully charged I still had 50% power left on battery case. So at that rate I'm thinking I should be able to charge the 6 plus about 1.5 -1.75 full charges. That's pretty damn good.

23. MC355 macrumors member

I think you may have had a bad one. I plugged in my phone last night with the case together to charge both. Case had about 50% charge left and phone had about 85% left. Anyways. It charged my phone first and then it fully charged my case. When I woke up both phone and case are at 100% charged. I didn't have to mess with it or push any buttons.

Before I bought it I read a lot of Amazon reviews and seems like out of the 82 reviews or so, around 5-10 were very bad. Those I think got the bad not working cases. Unfortunately you may have gotten a bad case too.

For me this case is great. Does exactly what it's supposed to Isn't very heavy at all (I don't even notice anymore. Guess I'm already used to it after one days use). And the battery life on the case is way more than mophie is offering for the 6 plus. Overall I've very happy with this purchase.

24. ihonda macrumors 68000

ZeroLemon 3100mAh

I have been using this case for around 3 days now with no hiccups so I feel I can post a proper review.

This is one of a few battery cases I have for the 6 that I am reviewing and I think its one of my favorite..

ZL managed to cram almost 2x the battery of the iPhone 6 into a pretty durable case that can survive a drop or two. The case itself has a nice matte finish so it adds some nice grip to the phone. ZL has a small logo on the back which is screen printed on. I believe the logo will wipe away with some alcohol swabs if you are looking for an unbranded look, but being its so minimal I decided to not bother removing it.

ZL makes 2 different models for whatever reason and this is the bigger cap of the 2. Included in the nice looking box you get a headphone extension cable (you will need this if you plan to use the Beats by Dre w/ the angled plug, some instructions and also a warranty card. I have never had to use a warranty from ZL in the past but from what I understand its a pretty pain free process!!!!!

I started my test by letting my phone completely die down and shutting off, I then applied the ZL case which I let charge overnight. Once I held the button down on the back of the ZL case 4 LEDs lit up and begin to charge the phone. It look roughly 1h 40min to go from a dead iPhone to 100% using this case, and in the process I dropped from 4 LEDs to 2 LEDs leaving some good juice left on the case. I then shut the case off (if you don't shut it off it will continue to provide power to the phone like a power source would). I then charged the case again to get 4 LEDs so that I was starting with a 100% charged phone and a 100% charge ZL case.

I then used my phone as a normally would and once I reached 10% warning I fired up the case by holding the button down again. I continued to use the phone normally this time letting the case just stay on as I used the phone. I was able to pull just over 3 days total out of the phone and ZL compared to just 1 day without the ZL.

Obviously everyones results will vary based on personal usage of phone and what all options you have as far as power saving measures.

A few important things I would like to point out..

1) It does add noticeable weight and bulk to the phone but thats to be expected so you can't knock any points off for that.
    2) It does add protection to the phone as I did drop it at work on accident :p
    3) The phone does seem to get a little warm being wrapped in the ZL when your doing a lot of stuff on the phone, but nothing too hot.
    4) If you are a music listener this case also helps the speakers shoot directly towards you so music sounds louder.
    5) ApplePay STILL works with this case, there is another one I tested recently that would not allow ApplePay to work for whatever reason.

All in all this case is totally worth the $50. Why pay $100 for a Morphie when its pretty much the same thing minus color options. I saw previous reviews bagged a little bit on the color. To me black is fine because this isn't a daily case for me, rather a case that I will opt to use when I know I will either be heavy heavy on the phone (like recording videos at family events or concerts) or when traveling to downtown where signal quality is an issue which causes your phone to drain quicker.

25. MC355 macrumors member

Great review on the Zerolemon. I don't believe they have one available for the 6 plus. Or I'd have to check it out.

My experience with them was in the note 3 and LG G3. Loved the battery life. Hated how big and bulky it was. Maybe it's different on the iPhone.

Anyways great write up!