Any idea on how to stress test 2016 13" rMBPtb to evaluate 5k performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by analyticsDS, Dec 12, 2016.

1. analyticsDS macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm hoping that my 13" rMBPtb (3 ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 512gb ssd) can drive the LG 27" 5k monitor. My use case is neither light nor heavy. Multiple safari tabs, code editor (atom), Spotify, OneNote, and streaming YouTube videos of podcasts. I know the laptop can drive the LG 5k monitor; I don't know if it can while maintaining performance (no lagging or dropped frames).

I imagine lagging and frame drops would happen if I was building 3d models or video editing. I won't be doing (much) of that (maybe light 4k editing sporadically -- not a major use case), but I won't be just checking my email either. It looks like I'll probably not be ale to get my hands on a 27" 5k monitor until after my return window is elapsed for this computer. Are there any use cases that would test the machine as if I had a 5k screen? I can borrow a friend's 27" 4k monitor if needed. Not sure what to do to see the limits as to when performance drops off when req'd to drive extra pixels.

I imagine this post might sound a bit extreme. I really just want to make sure I perform due diligence since this machine+screen setup will be my daily driver for the next few years! Hoping to have my cake and eat it to: the mobility of the 13" and ability to drive a big 27" 5k screen. If performance is crap then I'll have to move up to the 15".

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Take it down to the Apple Store and plug it into a 5k monitor, I doubt they'll mind.