any idea why Apple isn't making an Aluminum unibody iPhone?

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
i'm so sorry if this was briefly covered in many other threads but i figured this deserves its own thread by now.

ALL Apple major products received the Aluminum treatment, form the iPad to the Mac Mini....any idea why is Apple not making an Aluminum unibody iPhone like this?

it seems logical Apple would do this after the success of the iPad, maybe it's not technically possible?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68000
Dec 28, 2009
We don't know if they're making an aluminum iPhone yet. Won't nothing til Sep 12. If they do in fact release an aluminum iPhone, I'm assuming its because of all the people dropping their iPhone 4/4S.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Because cellular radio transmission through metal is very hard. The iPad has a plastic window at the top because of this. The iPhone would need two because of its two cellular antenna. Thus the current rumored 6th generation iPhone design.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Because cellular radio transmission through metal is very hard. The iPad has a plastic window at the top because of this. The iPhone would need two because of its two cellular antenna. Thus the current rumored 6th generation iPhone design.
Pretty much this.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
thanks for the clarification, the above design is not possible i guess.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not possible with the current technology. Maybe someday in the future. As of now, the closest the design has ever come to being on an iPhone is the first generation iPhone.