Any idea why the new airport is on clearance on apple.com?

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Eraserhead- The refurbs are different from clearance items.

Peace- ahhhhh... ok ... Is the only difference between rev 1 and 2 the gigabit ethernet? So if ur purely using wireless, it doesn't matter, right?

Thanks

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Eraserhead- The refurbs are different from clearance items.

Peace- ahhhhh... ok ... Is the only difference between rev 1 and 2 the gigabit ethernet? So if ur purely using wireless, it doesn't matter, right?

Thanks
Other than the gigabit ethernet there's no difference that I know of.At least none that couldn't be resolved with a firmware update on the older model.

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
Other than the gigabit ethernet there's no difference that I know of.At least none that couldn't be resolved with a firmware update on the older model.
Apparently the network backplane hardware on Rev 1 is limited to 100 Mbps, so even if you have good enough conditions to be able to establish a 100+ Mbps real-throughput wireless connection, the router won't be able to handle it. Probably not a big deal in the near term or for most people who don't have gigabit anyway.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
If I have a cable modem hooked into the router...I want to do wireless printing and hard drive... will rev 1 or 2 make a difference?

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Apparently the network backplane hardware on Rev 1 is limited to 100 Mbps, so even if you have good enough conditions to be able to establish a 100+ Mbps real-throughput wireless connection, the router won't be able to handle it. Probably not a big deal in the near term or for most people who don't have gigabit anyway.
when I can get real-throughput of 100Mbps via wireless that's when I'll buy a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.