Any ideas on how to deal with itchy under the skin?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steve knight, Mar 18, 2018.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I tore some muscles in my arm after I fell and it has been itching off and on. but last night it started with a vengeance intense inching that so far nothing has helped. I have this pot infused ointment that has been great for my itches not it does not help. I can rub it and it helps but it does not last. I have had horrible itching for skin grafts an d such but this is horrible.

2. comk4ver macrumors newbie

Corn starch? Baby powder?

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Typically itching is the result of increased blood flow to an area, which involves inflammatory process- COX and Histamine. First suggestion would be using a cool compress. Secondly, have you tried an NSAID like ibuprofen or an antihistamine like Benadryl (or less drowsy options like Zyrtec or Allegra)?

The itching can also be due to the activation of sensory receptors due to the healing of the tissue. There are a couple other possible prescription options that might be considered if it’s really that bad.

Always talk to your doctor/pharmacist before taking any new medications.

4. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I have a little general itchiness on and off, seems like it follows other seasonal allergy periods (not mine, just in general in terms of when ...).

I have a couple of scars, with a little extra tissue, and they in particular itch, when I get a few random itchy bits in other places (my doc friend said scar tissue = something about density/histamine build up). Anyway, a Zyrtec on demand just knocks it right out (while anything OTC topical does little to nothing).

I also get pretty much no side effects, doesn't make me drowsy, it's now OTC and available in several cheap, generic/store brands.

5. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

its under my skin so nothing on top works. looking some more it is most likely nerve damage. if the pain was not bad enough the itch is far worse.
    benadryl may have helped last night but it puts me to sleep. I have not tried anything else it only started last night. after I tore the muscles i kept re injuring it because my body tends to jump when I bump something or trip then I would jerk my arm hurting it again. one time I tore some more muscle. I hate that popping sensation I have had it way too many times. I tired a ice pack this morning that did not help. I am taking melocicam for the inflammation as tylenol was killing my stomach taking it so much. I am debating on going to urgent care and the hours it will take. well if there was something they could give me I was not sure. I can try ibuprofen too. the less I use it the more it will ache and now itch. so fo course at night it gets worse.

6. balzac1 macrumors newbie

My answer is the same as the previous person, but i do have a prescription for other meds e,g, Atarax 10. C’est merveilleux!!!

7. balzac1 macrumors newbie

8. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have a skin graft that can really itch even with the skin pretty much having no feeling at all. but this is so much worse so intense . was not sure if there was something that would hep so wanted ask before wasting 50.00 and hours at urgent care. though this may work as a email or voice chat verses another live visit.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

If you’re talking meloxicam DO NOT take ibuprofen, they are both NSAIDS therefore are redundant and can increase negative side effects. (This is why you should always talk to your medical providers :) )

I would actually think the meloxicam would be more harsh on the stomach than Tylenol, but to each his own.

Benadryl is a first generation antihistamine so the drug can cross into your brain, which makes you tired. Allegra and Zyrtec are second generation, meaning they don’t really cross into the brain, therefore far less risk of sedation but working just as well in the periphery. Again, talk to your docs/pharmacists before doing this.

It might be worth going to urgent care if it’s really bothering you that much.

10. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I was told it would be less harsh and i don't get heartburn taking it. but it is only once a day verses every 4 hours so that may be most of it. see if can get a chat with a doctor verses going into urgent care they already took X-rays and such.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Honestly, I think Tylenol is a pretty useless drug with the exception of being an antipyretic. But yes, the once a day dosing of meloxicam is very convenient.

Your doctor should have some sort of an on-call service for the weekends who might be able to help. The other consideration I had was perhaps gabapentin aka neurontin which is used to “quiet” the nerves a bit. It’s not a narcotic and well tolerated. But that’s an Rx.

I presume the itching is just located to the affected muscle area? Is the muscle still swollen?

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

I've found Tylenol to be a better general pain reliever than Ibuprofen, but found the opposite when it comes to fever. I've got some old injuries like DT's that itch like made from time to time. Once is near the rear or my neck and I've been lightly scratching at it for a few days now. Comes and goes. I take a Benadryl (generic from Costco, queue Goldy....) and it quiets it down for 5-6 hours. You can snap the tablet in half and take roughly 12.5 mg. I found the topical cream useless as well as the spray which is a sticky mess. An old doctor I had a very long time ago suggested Lotramin, which did work, but it didn't seem like a sound solution and probably a bad idea long term.

I don't take Zyrtec except for in season allergies. It messes with my sleep.

13. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I called and the doc recommended Zyrtec or Allegra during the day and the Benadryl at night since it puts me to sleep.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Zyrtec and Allegra are both great both drugs
    effective and generally no significant difference in side effects. Zyrtec in a small number of people is more sedating than Allegra but usually it’s not a problem. Don’t use Claritin.

In this case I’d probably go with Zyrtec for some technical reasons (making it more effective in skin tissues), plus it’s usually cheaper and works slightly faster. If you go with Allegra, just make sure you don’t drink juice 1hr before/2hrs after as it can mess with the absorption. Either one should be fine though.

Let us know how it works. Keep in mind it may take a few days to build up its full effectiveness.

Best of luck! Hope you feel better.

15. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

For the record, Benadryl didn't help me much and the overall impact was negative because of the [expected] sedating effect. Zytrec, is effective and for me, no such issues, I mean, I can take one, itching disappears, I go to bed at a regular hour, get up the next day, totally perky, normal day, no "hangover".

FTR, I've used generic brands, totally the same (it's basically 10mg of Cetirizine). Someone, like CVS, had a BYGO, plus a card discount, I got like 100 tablets for < $10.

16. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Trying the Zyrtec now but I think the itching has had increased it itches so bad it hurts. I rather have the pain then the itching.

17. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

the only thing so far that knocks some f the top off it is this cannabis ointment. it is one of the few things that works for my regular itches. and Benadryl hydrocortisone never help externally.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It might take a little bit to get its full effect but you should make an appointment to be seen by your doctor just in case things do not improve.

19. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

it would help if I would stop re hurting my arm. I have had this jump reaction when I bump something unseen or such. since I hurt my arm it has caused me to jerk that arm and hurt it over and over. the first day I did it when I opened the fridge I hit my foot with the door and I flung my arm backwards and I hurt it worse then when I had the first injury. I have done it several times to lesser degrees since it happened. the last time about two weeks after I had used my arm too high too much and the next day it was popping and hurting more then I did the jump thing again and tore a smaller muscle in a different part of my arm. so it has got multiple injuries itching now.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Have you seen an orthopedic or sports medicine doc about this? Might get you a better treatment than a regular GP. Have any of your providers suggested immobilization?

21. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

no had not even thought about going up the ladder. but immobilization would have been horrible it hurt or ached far more when I was not using it. sleeping was hard because it would ache and when I was on the bus not moving it would sit there and throb. it is working better now. as long as I dont stretch it out much or use it too high.

22. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

penicillin helped soldiers in my unit a few time.........................wait, wrong itching. tried smoking instead of the ointment? hope you recover soon

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Any better today?

25. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

well after looking closer i guess the itch is actually a rash. maybe from all the icy hot I used? just red blotches.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2018 ---
    the arm is doing well the itch I found is a red rash. not sure if much can be done about it. I washed my arm a couple times and testing a few things to help the itch. long sleeves makes it worse of course.