Any ideas on how to force my iPhone to charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mossme89, Jun 15, 2012.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I recently bought a portable 1900mah battery pack for my iPhone 4 but having a bit of an issue with it, or rather my phone. When I plug it in, my iPhone recognizes it, but shows a charged icon. Not the lightening bolt, but the plug icon, which means that it's plugged in but not charging. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it to charge? This is happening when my phone has even 40% or less. Occasionally it works, but for some reason it only charges for a couple minutes.

When plugged into my MacBook or the wall, the iPhone charges fine. It's just with this thing I'm having issues.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I assume your phone is NOT at 100% when you are testing this?

3. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Course not. Right now it's at 51% and showing the already charged icon. Yet if I take it out and plug my phone directly into the wall (through a USB charger) it charges fine.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The battery pack isn't kicking out enough juice

5. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm... I was on iOS 6 trying it. Strangely, after downgrading to iOS 5, the juice pack seems to be working fine. Any ideas of what can cause this?

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sometimes it doesn't play well with third party devices. With some third party devices for me, it will charge for a little and then say "accessory not supported"

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Is it possible that iOS6 just doesn't show the charging icon? Have you tried to just keep it plugged in for 10-15 minutes, unplugging it, and seeing if the battery percentage indicator has gone up?

8. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I was wrong. The only difference between iOS 5 and 6 is that iOS 5 charges for about a minute before changing to the charged icon. Then again, iOS 6 charged for about 45 seconds so basically the same thing.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

So, effectviely, it doesn't charge properly with iOS5 OR 6?

10. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Has it ever worked right? Are you able to try it on another device (maybe non-idevice)? I just got a zaggsparq and it works wonderfully, so I am baffled. Most of the modern batteries are basically designed with idevices in mind.

12. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's specifically made for iDevices, with the port and all. It was only $5 on Amazon, but still, it got great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035R2QS4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Ah, one of those... can;t really comment on that one. The ones I have used (and currently use) are basically batteries with USB ports built in. Hence, you still use an official apple cable, if you choose. My gut is telling me that it's the "accessory" issue. Have you gotten a popup message regarding an incompatible accessory?

14. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, I haven't. Just a charged icon. Strangely, it works on my dad's iPhone 4, which is weird considering it doesn't work on mine.