Any Ideas to go along with my Crazy idea? trying to make a film

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NAIBAF, Nov 12, 2008.

1. NAIBAF macrumors newbie

Hey everybody hows it going, ill just put it out there im in need of some script/ideas. Im making a film i've basicly have turned in at least a main topic, that main topic is about this Main character, he is a young, very intelligent, scientistlike and works in a scientist environment, he is also a drug user. So thats the main character. The plan and mood i was going for was maybe a Drama and Suspense.

Ok so ya this guy being a drug user comes up with the idea of making a much better drug then anything out there on the streets. He shares his idea with a couple of buddies at work and they decide to do it so ya they make this awesome drug better then anything out there (any ideas on wat kind of drug, substance, liquid, pill, injection etc...?) So then after making it the group keeps it on the down low and not trying to end up in trouble and all, they also make it during and at their work envirnoment. so then i was thinking this is where the drama kicks in with the main character getting screwed over by his fellow buddy/co-workers by them wanting this drug to expand so they get greedy, for money, etc.... they take away any written or put down knowledge of the creation of the new drug. so they expand with out him, expanding wasent his plan. Main character now goes his own way, him being so damn intelligent comes up with the idea to make a much stronger and better drug then the first but this time all by himself, and when completing it expanding by himself therefore his buddies run out of bussiness cuz theres a much better drug out there now. Hes so damn smart he had all that written knowledge in his mind, hes the smartest one out of the group.

As and ending im still thinking and wondering, i had the ideas of him just expanding and becoming somewhat of a ultimate drug lord or the other idea of where his life just falls apart due to this drug being so strong it starts deteriating(cant spell) his life/ career and his body till where he has a over dose, or and accident.

hmmm im not really too sure if this is a good idea but ya its just out there, and so reading this maybe you get a feel for it, but i am open to any ideas and would really appreciate any replys, opinions also please. Im kinda new to this also so it be great getting any kind of response. . . . Thanks!!!!!;)

2. Mattaut macrumors regular

I think the drug should be similar to acid or some kind of hallucinogenic, then you can make scenes where people are tripping which could be fun. You could do something where the characters don't realize some things they are seeing are not real or the opposite where they think something that is real is not real, this could create drama between characters. It would be cool if you made it so the audience was uncertain about whether some things were real or not real, this could create suspense and drama.

I think it would be better if one of the scientists who betrayed the main character overdosed, if the main character overdoses that might be too predictable.

The drug itself should probably be in pill form, that would be easiest as far as props go.

If I think of more stuff I'll let you know.

3. NAIBAF thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow Thank you very much u just opened my mind up a lil more lol wat do u think can be the unreal? as in some fantasy like, supernatural, trippy like, or a unreal betrayal. .etc?

4. Mattaut macrumors regular

You could do both, in reality a hallucinogenic trip is kinda different for everyone so you could apply that to your movie. You should search for stories people have written about their experiences to give you some ideas. I know erowid.org probably has a lot of stories.

5. NAIBAF thread starter macrumors newbie

6. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

remember to keep story consistent so you bore the crap out of your audience.

Watch the movie requiem for a dream.

you can toy with the idea, of what really drugs and greed does to people and how far people would go to achieve it. Even when people reacha certain point, they want more. If you want a million dollars and you get it, would you then desire 2 million or 3 millions dollars. You know what i mean.

But yeah you got a pretty interesting concept. sounds good.

7. mattw126 macrumors member

mattw126

I like the idea, and I definitely agree that you should watch Requiem for a Dream if you haven't already done so.

Have you read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, aside from being a fantastic and relevant novel, he uses the idea of 'the perect drug' called Soma. From Wikipedia:

"...a popular dream-inducing drug. It provides an easy escape from the hassles of daily life and is employed by the government as a method of control through pleasure. It is ubiquitous and ordinary among the culture of the novel and everyone is shown to use it at some point, in various situations: sex, relaxation, concentration, confidence. It is seemingly a single-chemical combination of many of today's drugs' effects, giving its users the full hedonistic spectrum depending on dosage."

Just my [​IMG], social psychology has always been my favorite element of the psych discipline, it could be interesting to include what effects this drug has on society as a whole. I think having your protagonist being a drug user is a good idea, especially if you can portray the intricacies of addiction like 'Requiem'. I think it will definitely add to the depth and emotional connection of the audience to your character. Hope your writing is going well and you post where you decide to take your story.

8. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

ahh soma from brave new world. i love that book.

9. NAIBAF thread starter macrumors newbie

yup ive seen that movie and i kno how powerfull the movie is and it gives a look of how powerful drugs can become, but once again thank u, i have come up with a few other scenes and i feel im heading in the right direction.

what do u think time wise? as in how long or how short this could all fit into?

10. NAIBAF thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm thanks ill look into it and read never heard of it till now, seems very very interesting.

Exactly i dont just want my character to be some normal drugy i wanted the character to actually be somebody interesting very interesting.

11. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

Um well i think that you can pull off a short film. Cause feature films a tough. Aim for 20-40 minutes, that good time to show the stor and make a point and it won't drag on.