Any insights on Best Buy's sale on rMBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hj123456, Jun 26, 2014.

1. hj123456 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know or have an idea how long this current sale is gonna last? I know late July last year rMBPs were $200 off + $100 student discount for like 2 days so I was waiting for a similar promotion this year. But they're running a sale right now on all Macbooks & I'm not sure if they're gonna lower the price even further or not. I want to wait if there's a certainty that Best Buy will have a special sale, but at the same time I don't wanna risk missing out on a sale altogether. :( If anybody has any idea on their promotion plans, please let me know.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

From what I have noticed, they seem to put them on sale every 2nd or third week for around 60 dollars off(depending on model). If you get the movers coupon from your post office(10% off one item at Best Buy) and couple that with the student discount of 150, plus the current sale makes the current prices hard to beat.

3. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I have the mover's coupon and can get the student discount! I know the current price is awesome but last year's promotion is what's giving me the doubt. If they put it on sale for around $60 every month, you think I can at least wait till 2nd or 3rd week of July?

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I am sure you could. It's hard to predict what pricing will happen. If there is a rMBP refresh, it will cause the current models to go down in pricing. If not, they may be at their lowest point now. You just have to decide. I wouldn't risk a good deal now just to possibly save another 50-75 bucks later on. No guarantees of a better sale coming along.

5. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your advice!

6. AnonDP macrumors member

Unless you absolutely NEED a new macbook now my advice is wait. New rMBP's coming around October time; late 2013 model will see a price drop throughout retail stores. But the late 2014 model will blow this one out the water.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Haswell to Broadwell isn't a huge leap in performance from what I've read and heard. The GPU is even better to be sure but I don't think its on the level of blowing it out of the water.

Waiting 4 to 8 months may be too much for many people. Apple is constrained to releasing the new rMBPs, they have to wait until Intel releases the chipset. They've said late 2014 during the holiday season. Apple in the past has taken a few months after a new chipset release to update their MBP, so a 2015 refresh instead of a 2014 one is not out of the question.

8. AnonDP, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

AnonDP macrumors member

The modifications are more than just broadwell.

Apple will release 12 MBA, BW 13, 15 rMBP between late Sept early November. On track.

9. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to wait for new models, but that's not an option for me because I need a new laptop before I go back to school in late August :/

----------

What you're saying is pretty much similar to what I've been hearing. Yeah, it would be nice to wait & get newer models, especially if there'll be a price drop, but unfortunately I need a new laptop before I go back to school. Plus I don't think those new specs would really matter to me, after all I'm just a student. Anyway, since I can't wait for new models and hope for a price drop, it's really important to me that I get the best possible deal from Best Buy!

10. gtanner00 macrumors member

If you want to wait then I think you would have no problem getting the same price. I think best buy has a policy of matching any other stores price whether it is online or not. Surely there would be another store that you can use to pressure them to honor this policy.

11. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if they'll honor the price matching policy with student discount/mover's coupon though. But thanks for your input!

12. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Have you seen and use the new MBA? Please dont spread lies on something you dont know for sure. :rolleyes:

13. bdspilot macrumors newbie

i tried to use both coupons at 3 best buys and none of them would stack the coupons

14. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's discouraging :(

15. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Was the system not taking them, or were the employee's just refusing to even try to scan them?

16. racer1441 macrumors 68000

It won't blow anything. It will be a minor bump.

Best buying advice. Get this generation's machine from the Apple refurb store.

17. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

What!? Outside of Graphics the Ivy Bridge to Haswell performance bump was small. When are we going to get a decent CPU increase? I think Broadwell has gotta be significant.

18. bdspilot macrumors newbie

Employees would not take. He said the system would take it but they were instructed from cooperate to not take them any more. He said they were going to change the movers discount to not include apple.

PS: this in in Oklahoma and they have laws against selling below cost.

19. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

There must have been enough people combine the two that Best Buy's corporate offices put a stop to it.

20. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Is this confirmed? I'm thinking about trying today.

21. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me know how it goes!

22. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I hate to disappoint but I held off from buying it. However, if sometime throughout the week I do, I'll report back.

23. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks :)

24. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

25. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

My guess is their system still allows the stacking, but management has told the employees to not let it happen. Same thing happens with using the student discount on open boxed Mac's. Their system will accept the discount, but they are not supposed to allow it.