Any interest in trying to get a group tour inside Apple HQ?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
At the request of Katie and theonenonlyjoey on page four of this thread -- they seem to think that if we rallied enough people from MR, we could try to get Apple to arrange for us to get a tour of the inside.

So I guess, I'm now asking for realistic interest in arranging such a trip.

Something to note, the Company Store is only open Mon-Fri 10am-5:30 pm... so I guess it only makes sense to have a tour of HQ within that timeframe allowing for a "souvenir" stop. Other than that, if I am really going to call and ask Apple for this tour, then it would help to get an official count of the heads (or er, Mac heads) going as well as possible dates. Can't very well ask for a tour w/ out the number of people in mind and a date, eh? ;)

Since only one person has listed a specified date (and she is lovely, and she is from outta town, and she... well, ok you all get the idea) the date I will bring to the attention of Apple when I call tomorrow will be Thursday, August 4, 2005. I will post the results of the call tomorrow. Just called and was redirected... "I'm sorry, we don't do tours here. CLICK." Sorry guys, unless somebody actually knows someone who can get us connected, the tour is a no-go.

Tentative List
Thanks... so far the tentative count is:
1.devilot76
2.katie ta achoo +1*
3.katie's dad
3.theonenonlyjoey
4.applemacdude
5.Merf +1
6.Merf's cousin
7.Zach*
8.Ed_H
9.Vniow
10.Xtremehkr*

*= outta town so possible dates will be needed to further plan
So I'll assume that the people who are (relatively) locals can make it on "any" day, for now...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
I figured that most MRers are too far... but I also figured that there would be some people who just happen to be visiting sometime this summer or whatnot. Even some people who live locally, like me, I still haven't been in the HQ. Just that lovely Company Store. :p

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I would go depending on when it is and how much advance notice, as it would have to be planned around a vacation out to SF or something.

But it definitely sounds like a cool idea! :D

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
XIII said:
For whats its worth, as a pessimist, I don't think they'll even give you a tour... :p
I wouldn't be surprised... but it can't hurt to ask. And it can't hurt to ask w/ some more details. :D

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I've been trying to talk my wife into an early January "vacation" to the SF area for couple of years now. She could do the Wharf and Lombard Street, and I'll do MWSF, Sony Metreon, and The Apple Company Store. Seems like a perfect plan to me... ;)

Maybe if you tried to pursue a date either immediately before or after MWSF (doesn't Apple pretty much shut down the campus PR machine during the Expo?), you might find a few more MacRumors participants are in the Bay area.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
SpaceMagic said:
Especially cos they HATE rumor sites
Well, I wouldn't say I'm from a rumor site... geeze, gimme some credit! :p We're all just a happy family.

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Well they've let all the WWDC attendees in in the past, so maybe you've got a chance.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I would really love to go. But first I have to check with my parents and see if we are indeed going to SF this summer. If we are, count me in, but only if everyone decides it is possible for them to go during the summer.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Thanks... so far the tentative count is:
1.devilot76
2.katie ta achoo*
3.theonenonlyjoey
4.applemacdude
5.joepunk*

*= outta town so possible dates will be needed to further plan
So I'll assume that the people who are (relatively) locals can make it on "any" day, for now...

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
*raises hand*
mememememememe!

also,don't ignore my dad, He'd probably come too!

*off to google for cheap hotel reservations*

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
me too.

a few of us IRC-ites have been thinking about getting together sometime, despite the fact that one lives in CA, one lives in MD, one lives in NY, one (MEEEEE) lives in CT, and one lives in GA...

but we're just crazy like that.

anyway, mark me down.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
So it looks like one person on the list has PM'd me saying that he/she is looking at the week of August 3rd... just to throw that out there.

::edit:: And please note people, this is in no way a guarantee that a tour would even happen! This is just me gauging interest and gathering data with which I would go groveling to Apple HQ. :p

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
devilot76 said:
So it looks like one person on the list has PM'd me saying that he/she is looking at the week of August 3rd... just to throw that out there.

::edit:: And please note people, this is in no way a guarantee that a tour would even happen! This is just me gauging interest and gathering data with which I would go groveling to Apple HQ. :p

Make it 2!! i want to go!! im about 45 min east of Cupertino! :)

Ed

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Hm, I work until 2:00 usually, it'll take about one and a half hours to get down there (I'm in Marin) so I probably couldn't make it until like 3:30 or so if they would even let us in unless I could get off work for any reason. So put me on as a maybe, if its later in the day.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
I'll about 90% sure that I'll be down in cupertino/surrounding area on friday the fifth.

Now, I just need to find my student ID for cheap caltrain tickets!

...will they say that it's not a real HS (or they can't validate it) because it's in texas? If so, that gets a BOO and I'll call my principal's house on my cell, to get me some cheap tickets.

Does the student discount apply to professors, too? My dad is a professor of neurobahoology.... If we can both get cheap tickets.. then AWW YA.
It should work, right? I got my WSJ subscription on the cheap through him....

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Aww I'd love to go but it's too far :(

Wonder if there's anything interesting to see at HollyHill? :p