Any iOS gamers noticing poorer performance on iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, Oct 19, 2011.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

This is aimed at iPhone 4 users.

Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2, and FIFA 12 are ones I've noticed suffering from reduced frame rates compared to when they ran on iOS 4.

Hopefully the apps are updated and it's just a compatibility issue with the new OS.

Anyone else noticing reduced game performance on iPhone 4 with iOS 5?

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Didnt have a single problem with my iPhone 4 on iOS5 (played real racing 2 and Fifa 11 to compare)

3. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Overall my phone feels slower and I installed as a new profile so I'm quite disappointed by the drop in performance.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Been using iOS 5 since Beta 1, with installing 4.3.3, 4.3.4, and 4.3.5 as they've become available. Haven't seen any noticeable change in performance other than a slight decrease in battery drain, which was fixed in the later betas and GM. I will say however that 4.3.3 still had the best battery life.

I played Infinity Blade for hours on end when I was traveling on a business trip. Didn't see any difference with iOS 5 compared to 4.3.3.

5. kingantman macrumors newbie

yup - fifa 12 runs like a dog on ios5

upgraded the ios on my ipad 1 and now Fifa 12 runs like a dog - unplayable!

really annoying - so it's only 6.99 or whatever, but how can the Ios upgrade nobble it so badly?

6. HimOffTheTelly macrumors newbie

Since iOS 5 some games have been affected performance-wise. Gangstar is a typical example. As soon as you get in a car the frame rate crashes. It was perfect before.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

My 3GS now suffers on games it never had problems with before. Maybe developers just need to update games for iOS5? iOS5 and iTunes 10.5 have both been buggier than any previous updates for me though so I wouldn't doubt it's a problem on Apples end.

8. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Infinity Blade has easily dropped a few fps since iOS 5 on the iPhone 4.

On iOS 4, if you held in the fast-forward button on cut scenes, they skipped by very smoothly, no missed frames, now it stutters when fast forwarded. Also, when you picked up coins, the counter on the top right would increase smoothly (in terms of watching the numbers go up), but now they go up in increments and it just looks (and sounds, since the sound also breaks up now) pretty shoddy.

Add to that the dropped frame rate, especially against larger enemies, and there's definitely some optimising needing done for iOS 5 games on the 4.

9. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I'm having the exact same issue here with the 4S.