Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Any of you thinking of switching to or already have switched to a new Macbook Air.

Just curious as to your general thoughts, as I'm considering doing that.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Be interesting to see what kinds of response this gets in the iPad subforum, but there are many threads about this in the MacBook Air subforum.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I considered it when the air came out...then I thought to myself why would I want an air when a macbook pro does more and is better, and the only thing it isn't is quite as thin and I sold my macbook pro with SSD to get the ipad and was glad I did...that made me realise the air wasn't for me and if I wanted a full OS I would get a white macbook (an not put an SSD in it because I was not that impressed with the SSD even though I had the OWC mecrury extreme for what I do I don't care if it happens in a half second or a quarter second)

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I had a friend who did this, he sold his 64GB wifi+3G iPad for just about what he paid for it, and got the MBA with that money. He seems to love his macbook air, but he did say one time that he missed several of his go to iPad apps that he enjoyed....

I was at the Apple store this past weekend, and the new MBA's are sweet. But I still can't wait to get my iPad!

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I've got the Air as an addition. Both devices have a place for me. The iPad is hander to open on the go and has the killer battery life, the Air is light enough to carry in addition to the iPad, and has more power and flexibility .

I don't get anywhere near the 7 hours battery life from the Air mind, but I do consistently get approx 9 hours out of the iPad. The iPad is also a dream for giving presentations.

It's just a shame the Air doesn't have a built in 3G sim card tray

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I think the Air and the iPad just can't be compared, I own a 13" MBP and I have no issues with the size carrying it every day, but the iPad is just so much easier to use for 80% of the tasks I do, and It's lighter and you have to worry less about it than about a Laptop

swirlybee

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
I'm gonna be buying an MBA pretty soon and I will be keeping my iPad. They serve 2 different purposes.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Those of us who have 13 inch MBA, no way that we are going to replace it. Because 13 inch MBA is a lot bigger than iPad.

If you own 11 inch, then it is another story.

I passed on 11 inch MBA because it only had 5 hours of battery life. Hopefully, apple will fix this with next update. I have 13 inch MBA and iPad right now. I am not going to sell my ipad, but I won't be upgrading to iPad 2 or iPad 3. I will be using this iPad for a long time with my MBA.

AppleGoddess

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
I did, bought the 11.6 sold my iPad, missed itso much returned the MacBook and bought me a iPad, .

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
It will be interesting to see what people are going to do about iPad 2..
If you already own MBA and iPad, then it is very less likely you will be buying iPad 2. I know for sure that I am skipping iPad 2 or even iPad 3.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Any of you thinking of switching to or already have switched to a new Macbook Air.

Just curious as to your general thoughts, as I'm considering doing that.
I sold my iPad 64gb 3G 4 weeks ago on eBay. I purchased a 13" MBA Ultimate. I sold my MBA on eBay last week for more than I paid for it. I've realized the MBA is still "just" a computer. It was no fun, not like the iPad. I mostly miss the apps, I still have them though. So now I patiently wait it out for the iPad 2.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The MacBook Air and iPad are aimed for different markets. There are clearly differences in the capabilities of both devices.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
It will be interesting to see what people are going to do about iPad 2..
If you already own MBA and iPad, then it is very less likely you will be buying iPad 2. I know for sure that I am skipping iPad 2 or even iPad 3.

Based on what? You often paint with a broad brush when you make statements. I had an iPad but bought the 11 inch Air as a companion. There are many things that the iPad can do but sometimes I need the Air. Try running Photoshop or Aperture on an iPad. Oh wait. You can't. Or if you for some dreadful reason need Flash. Again the iPad falls short (not knocking the lack of Flash on the iPad. I hate Flash but sometimes it's needed.) For some, the Air will fit quite comfortably and have a home along side an iPad. The Air/iPad combo may not be for many but some will surely find that both fit the bill based on usage.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I seriously thought about it, in the end I concluded that I wanted both but only needed one so I stuck to the iPad. But there are a few times when I feel like as good as the iPad is it would be nice to have something so thin and light that runs full OSX and a keyboard/trackpad.

rezatayebi

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
EddyP said:
I have an iPad and a 17" MBP. Two different tools/toys with different uses IMO.

Same here. Use the 17" MBP to get my 3D design work done, use the iPad for everything else.

miamijim

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2010
I have a 20" 2007 Intel Alluminium iMac with Dual screen. (24" HD)

I have the 32gb Wi Fi iPad.

And I fully intend to buy an 11.5" MBA before next April. (Just for DJ'ing)

This I believe will complete my setup perfectly.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have both, 2 different devices. My ipad fits the bill 90% of the time when I need instant on and all day battery life. For those few times I need a full keyboard AND I'm near a power plug I may bring my macbook air, although lately I've been fiddling with the apple bluetooth keyboard on my ipad.

Although I can say the ipad has almost replaced my laptop, it hasn't quite replaced it and I've seen the need to keep both devices.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I have both and the number one problem I have with the iPad is that it overlaps too much with my iPhone. All of the key apps I use on the iOS platform are available for both devices, so it began to make less and less sense to carry my iPad around (much less get a separate data plan for it). When the new 11" MBA came out, I quickly realized that what I really wanted was something that was light/easily portable and full featured. I spent all this time looking for iOS apps that would turn the iPad into a full fledged computer when really all I needed was in fact a full fledged computer.

That said, I'm still hanging onto the iPad in part because I don't need the money that badly to have to sell it, but I use it a lot less and don't really miss it when it's not with me. I have no doubt about the potential of this form factor and I'm sure we'll see great advances in the next few years, but the current limitations are too much to keep it from being a big toy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.