Any iPd 1 owners still happy and NOT planning to upgrade to the 3 yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ubele, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ubele macrumors 6502a

There have been threads from people who have the iPad 2 and are skipping the 3, and from people who have the 1 or 2 and are buying the 3, but is anyone happy enough with their 1 that they plan to wait for the 4? I skipped the 1 when it was released, as the iPad didn't interest me, but enough people convinced me of its awesomeness that I decided to get the 2. It was out of stock everywhere, and when AT&T dumped their stock of iPad 1's at low prices, I decided to buy a 64 GB 3G model for $529 rather than wait for the 2's to become readily available. I vowed that, if I liked the 1, I'd upgrade to the 3 if it had a Retina display. Well, I've absolutely loved my 1, and I use it every day. I'm glad I sprang for the 64 GB model, as I download a lot of content. I haven't used the 3G feature, though. iOS 5 was causing my 1 to crash a lot, but 5.1 has pretty much fixed that. Some apps are running more slowly, but it's far from unbearable. Overall, for what I use it for, my 1 is functioning as well as the day I bought it a year ago. So, as much as I'd love to have a 3, I can't justify spending $699 for a 64 GB model, and I'm worried that a 16 or 32 GB model wouldn't be enouigh for me. I'm going to wait and see what people have to say about the current storage capacities, once most apps beef up to high-res file sizes. I'm also budgeting for an iPhone 5 this year, and my 2008 MBP is starting to show its age, and I'm considering upgrading my Mac this year. So I'm going to see if I can hold out for another year and wait for the iPad 4 (or the new 2013 iPad, if you prefer). Anyway, with so many people talking about how unusable their iPad 1 has become, I'm curious as to how many other people find their iPad 1 to be quite usable.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Didn't Apple sell something like 15-18 Million iPad's (first generation), I really doubt the same 15-18 million original iPad owners are going to be upgrading every year.

So I am sure they are still happy with their purchase.

3. tomaseriksson macrumors member

tomaseriksson

I have the first generation iPad (with 3G) and use it daily. I must say that it would be nice to have some more performance but I can't say that my iPad feels irritatingly slow. It would be nice to upgrade (like most here Im a sucker for new shiny apple stuff) but can't justify the cost right now.

Funny how I love my iPad but still wan't to throw it out :)

4. aa521490 macrumors regular

I'm happy with my 1st generation iPad. It's jailbroken and I have the unlimited AT&T data plan :D.

5. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I got a 1st gen 16gb wifi about a month after they came out in Canada as a gift. I really have no need for a new one since it is mostly for web browsing, the only thing I hate is safari crashing when it runs out of memory but I can live with it. Retina screen does sound nice but I will keep my cash until they have a retina MBA or MBP.

6. ghett0tech macrumors member

if i see one more thread about people trying to justify keeping am outdated tablet due to lack of 'wow' of new iPad i'm gonna flip. if you keep waiting to be wowed then you are doing it wrong. the new iPad display is magnificent. end of story...

7. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

or maybe people don't need to be "wowed", maybe they just don't need to spend their money upgrading a luxury.

8. Hellenek macrumors member

Upgrading to 5.1 sorts out most of the crashing incidents.

9. mrholder macrumors regular

5.1 definitely rejuvenated my iPad 1. It has maybe crashed once in the last couple of weeks. I purchased my iPad 1 a year after launch. I may upgrade to the 2 next year and set this one up for my wife to use for light web surfing.
    I don't get the whole "upgrade every year" thing, but I'm not going to knock it either.

10. TheNewEra macrumors newbie

Each to their own. If someone doesn't feel the need to upgrade to the latest iPad from the first generation, it's their choice. No one should crictise them for it.

I personally love the new iPad and I think the new screen is magnificent. If I had the first generation iPad, I would certainly look to upgrade. However I understand that some of the new features may not be as appealing to other people as they are to me. It's all subjective, there's no reason to criticise people over it.

11. below sea level macrumors member

I have a 1st generation iPad. It still does what I need it to do.

I know I'll upgrade one day, but there's no urgency to it.

12. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

I upgraded from the ipad1 to the ipad3.

I was unhappy with the performance of the ipad1 with ios5, but I still used it anyway.

But now that I have used the ipad3, it is painful to go back to the ipad1 to use something as basic as safari. Too slow.

13. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Still use and love mine. Not upgrading this year.

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

I am still very happy with my first generation iPad. I can't really afford to upgrade now or I probably would. I am currently planning on getting next year's model iPad (assuming one is released).
    I bought my iPad with a 3 year accidental damage warranty from Squaretrade, so I thought it should last me 3 years. So far so good.

15. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

My iPad1 will be a hand-me-down gift at some point, whenever I'm able to swing the iPad3 money-wise. I wish my bank account could keep up with my impatience, lol.

The iPad1 is still a great tablet and traveling with it is so great. However, its only a 16GB wifi version and I ran into issues with storage just the other day when a very large app tried updating. What the app did was download the new version BEFORE getting rid of the old version. So I had nearly 2GB of 1 game at the same time and I maxed out the storage. After deleting some tv shows the app updated and dropped the old version, freeing up 1GB. I was annoyed as now my iPad lost those shows. I could use some extra space, 16GB is nowhere near enough for this thing.

16. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

I just upgraded from my iPad 1 to the iPad 3. All I can say is WOW...what a difference. My 1 was not bad...it was just very slow. The 3 is fast and beautiful. The retina display is amazing. Sold my 1 for $225 and put the money towards the 3. Glad I did. The upgrade is well worth it in my opinion.

17. penfan82 macrumors regular

Bought mine a year ago with the Verizon fire sale. I went to look at the new one yesterday and yes it's gorgeous but I like many can't justify the money right now considering my laptop is on its last leg and my job is on shaky ground so for right now I will enjoy what 1 does and upgrade at another time obviously the iPad isn't going anywhere I'm sure it'll only get better

18. Alvesang macrumors regular

Alvesang

my wife and I both owned a first-generation iPad. I upgraded mine to the third generation on Friday. Now that I have been fooling around with it for four days, I have to admit I could've stayed with the first generation iPad for another year. Not saying I don't love it, but after all it's not that much of a game changer for me.

enjoying the dictation function anyway. This whole paragraph I didn't have to type once.

19. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I have both, the 1 and the 3 for the moment anyway...planning to pass the 1 down to a family member.

Love love the upgrade. :)

20. mrj412 macrumors regular

I had stopped using my iPad 1 when I got my iPhone 4S a few months ago. When the new iPad was announced I thought about why I had stopped using it and if I needed a new one at all. I found the iPhone display and snappier performance were the reasons, so I got the new iPad and have been using it all weekend.

As for my old iPad, I am giving it to my mother and I know that she will enjoy it. If you don't need or want the new features, than there is no need to upgrade. The original iPad is still a great device.

21. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

19 replies and only one flame - that's pretty good; I expected more. As for you, you completely misunderstood my post. I AM wowed by the new iPad. The only thing it lacks that I expected is 128 GB of RAM on the high-end model, and I understand that's because flash-RAM prices haven't dropped as quickly as they had in the past. I'm guessing you're a young guy. When I was a single guy in my 20s and 30s, with a good job, a cheap apartment, and no responsibilities, I thought nothing of dropping two grand (or more) on a new computer, synthesizer, or guitar. Now I'm a middle-aged guy making a lot more money, but with a wife, step kids, pets, a mortgage, and a retirement to fund. If I added up all the money I spent on cool gadgets I liked but didn't need, and if I'd invested it instead (particularly in Apple stock), I probably could retire now. My point is that $700 or $500, while I can afford it, is no longer an impulse purchase for me. I think a lot of people look at the new iPad, want it (as do I), justify it by convincing themselves that the previous model is "unusable," and buy the new one. If they can afford it and don't need to be spending that money elsewhere, good for them. I can't justify it just yet, because my iPad 1 is still usable, and I was wondering how many other people have come to the same conclusion.

22. irDigital0l Guest

iPhone 4 32 GB (Verizon)
    iPad 1 32 GB (Wi-Fi)

Pretty satisfied with my life right now.

Plus new iPhone coming out later this fall? I'm more excited about that.

I think I will upgrade the iPad every 3 years and iPhone every 2 (because of 2 year contract).

23. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you haven't upgraded to iOS 5.1, do so. It (mostly) fixes the Safari-crashing problem.

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I bought a 64GB WiFi iPad 1. Last year I sold it on eBay shortly after the release of 2 and got a 32GB WiFi 2. It didn't cost me much to upgrade because I sold a 64 and bought a 32. But sure, total cost was still there considering. I haven't analyzed it so I don't know how much I paid between the two for now 2 years of ownership/use. While the screen on the new iPad might be awesome, and a couple other things like the dictation (microphone) button - haven't really heard how well that works - I opted not to upgrade this time.

It really wasn't a huge leap in my opinion. From 1 to 2 introduced the camera, and we use FaceTime/Skype with family a lot. So that is nice. But ours doesn't used so often that I can convince myself to upgrade again. Next year my oldest son may be old enough to really start using it, so I can see myself getting a 4 and keeping the current one kind of thing.

25. CIA macrumors 6502a

I got my folks a 16GB+3G iPad 1 when it came out as a "Happy birthdayanniversarychristmasmothersfathers day" gift. (I like to get all my holidays covered at once.) They didn't even realize what the iPad 2 or the new one had to offer until yesterday when I surprised them with another "Happy birthdayanniversarychristmasmothersfathers day" gift consisting of the new iPad. This time a 32GB Verizon LTE. Now they fight over the new one, even though up to the moment I gave it to them they were talking about how much they love the original and how it's great and what could be better etc etc.... They had never seen much less used the iPad 2.
    I guess if you don't know what you're missing the original iPad is still a great tablet.

Also I got them matching snuggies.