Any Iphone 5 Come Dead on Arrival? Mine did

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adeedew, Sep 21, 2012.

1. adeedew macrumors regular

Mine (64gb Black) came dead on arrival out of the Fed Ex box today, or a major hardware issue. I preordered via Verizon at 12:01am on preorder day as a new Verizon customer, coming from 7 years at ATT.
    The camera would not open from shutter image, nothing or video function. When it did open briefly the screen would pixelate and freeze, never seen anything like it on an iPhone, and i've owned every single version. Complete nightmare. Went to apple ( as Verizon sold-out of course) to be told they don't swap Verizon bought phones (Topanga Mall Conoga Park CA). 2+ hour long story short, Had to re-buy a new one (literally the last black one they had and getting run around on that, i couldn't even make this up so i won't bother to list details, you won't believe me) and have to return to Verizon the pre ordered arrived via Fed Ex dead one. Barely an apology let alone at first offered to give me a refurbished 5?!! On street date nonetheless. As an iPhone customer since the first gen and upgrade to each new on release date this has been a crap experience so far.

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about that. We always think "it can't happen to us". Then it does. I'm sure you'll get a perfect replacement. Sorry you had to deal with that.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Sorry to hear you got a bad apple! I think everyone had a headache about something to some degree today... I know I did.

4. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

Yup, cancelled my apple.com order, went to the AT&T store and picked up a black 32gb phone. It worked fine, brought it home and tried to sync it. It rebooted and had a bunch of lines of code at the top of the screen. I called Apple and the first level tech told me this is totally normal and it's due to the taxing load on the Apple servers. I politely told her I disagreed, it is not normal, and escalated to a level 2. Nothing we tried allowed us to restore the phone. Luckily, AT&T allowed me to swap the phone at the store for another. Second phone is working great!

5. adeedew thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! Made me feel better already. Bad apple is perfectly put! Yes the replacement is great so far. Love it. The long screen is throwing me a bit, wish it was a hair wider but dig it. Insanely light. Feels fake!

6. bobright macrumors 601

I had an awful day, but because of my 4s and eBay seller problems but it was all because of the 5 bah :eek:

Having me some beers and finally playing with the 5

Good luck OP