Any iPhone 5 owners upgrading to the 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iKnowMr.Jobs, Sep 16, 2013.

1. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Just curious if anyone with an iphone 5 is going to buy an iPhone 5S soon. To me, theres a bigger difference between the 5 and 5S than there was between the 4 and 4S. I got a 4 around launch and didn't upgrade to the 4S because i wasn't at all impressed with Siri and i was satisfied with the camera on the 4 i had.
    I'm on the fence on upgrading. I've been using iOS 7 on my 5 for quite a while now and haven't experienced any sort of slow down in the slightest bit so i would't be upgrading for speed. The camera fascinates me, particularly burst mode. As for Touch ID, i've lived without it for years now and quite honestly, i could live without it for one more year if i don't upgrade but it still looks neat to me. If i do upgrade, i won't be on Friday. I don't have the proper funds to do so at the moment because i've had some unexpected expenses come up recently but if i did, i'd sell my existing 5 and buy and unlocked 5s without violating my contract.

But tell me, are you upgrading? why or why not?

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The 4 was a snail compared to the 4S when I upgraded. I couldn't have imagined sticking with the 4 for another year for how slow it was.

I'll wait to see how much faster the 5S will be over the 5. If it's as big a difference as the 4S over 4 was, then I will pull the trigger.

3. Gincoma, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Gincoma macrumors 6502

I am I will be on my computer 11:50pm on Thursday ordering the 5s waiting for 12 o clock :D.
    Does anyone know how soon Ill get it or if ill receive one. I have this impression about apple that it may take few weeks to receive it. I say this cause this is my first time ordering an iPhone coming fromandroid about a month ago
    Also im upgrading simply for the 64 bit architecture of the phone it makes it basically "future-proof" for the foreseeable future

4. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

The thing that many iPhone 5 users want - a larger screen (possibly 4.5-4.7") - is not there in the 5S. There are rumours that Apple will implement this in 6. If I upgrade now, I'll find myself upgrading next year.

I'll use the cash to buy the iPad 5.

5. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Im upgrading, but more for economic reasons than anything else really. I traded a note 2 my iphone 5 off contract a couple of months ago and will be selling it to pay for the new one (new contract). Basically will be upgrading phones for free (maybe even get paid a little back) depending on the price I sell my current phone at. Doesn't really make sense to hold on to this phone with a contract upgrade that is just sitting there

6. wxman2003 Suspended

I probably will. Will probably go to the Verizon site instead of Apple to order. Verizon is also taking orders at 1201 PDT.

7. TreyCox macrumors regular

Yeah I'm going to give my dad my iPhone 5 since his 4 is super slow. I'll go to the Verizon website and upgrade at 3:01 EST.

8. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

How many of these "5 upgrading to 5S" threads will I see in a day? Way too many.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'm not, it's just not worth the cash outlay for me. I'm absolutely in love with the Touch ID and the promise it holds but it's simply not enough justification for the money it would take to upgrade. (similar for the M7) That said, if you have the cash I believe it's a worthy upgrade. For my economic bracket it's not worth it.

10. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yup. I can do it for upgrade prices, so why not?

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

12. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I am. Only because I have recently run out of space on my 16gb 5. So this is the perfect time to add a line and git er dun.

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Same. I like new toys.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

What difference does it make?

I've preordered every iPhone since the 3GS and had originally planned on doing the same with the 5s but am getting closer and closer to convincing myself to wait a bit. I'm also having a bit of trouble selling off the 5.

15. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

People like having their thoughts justified. No clue why. It's a phone. Get it or don't.

----------

If you have upgrade, you can trade it. Comes out pretty much even.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm not planning on it... nothing but touch ID, M7, A7, and improved camera. That's not much. I did upgrade from the 4 to the 4s, and I saw very little difference. I think this is a comparable upgrade.

17. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

The forum would be cluttered with redundant threads that have, more or less, the same content. That's the difference it would make.

18. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

Me! I have multiple lines so I upgrade every year.

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Not any worse than it has always been. That's what moderators are for. Comments like the one you made just make you look like a jerk.

20. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Not only that but the question itself is horrifically stupid. Of course people are upgrading from the 5 to 5s... Like really? "Anyone gonna buy this new phone? Anyone going to get gold? ". No, nobody on the planet is. Oh well, this is what you get when mods don't do anything about it. They leave every thread open and never tell anyone to search. We get a thousand "should I get gold?" And "anyone buying an iPhone " threads all day :)

----------

That's what mods are for? Exactly. Where are the mods? Show me one thread they closed that has been repeated 20 times today? His post is accurate. Not douchey at all.

21. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Couldn't have said it better myself. The worst ones are "Am I the only one that likes the 5C?" or any thread about him or her being the only one to have that opinion.

22. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Absolutely.

The performance bump, the massive changes to the camera/photo system (who among us doesn't use their phone to take lots of photos/vids?), and, so much, the fingerprint scanner -- no longer will I have to fiddle with swipe-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-ok to get into my phone (not to mention itunes/appstore authorizations).

So much in the way of quality of life enhancements, it's a no brainer for me.

23. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Lol right. Bizzare

24. Imory macrumors 6502a

I definitely wouldn't call the camera a massive upgrade. It's not same obvious gap as it were between the 4 and the 4S. But it'll be interesting to see the actual differences once Anandtech get their hands on it.

25. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

No they don't.