Any Issues with the Corsair 256GB SSD on the mid-09 uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tolive, Aug 11, 2009.

1. tolive macrumors member

From reviews, it looks like the Corsair 256GB SSD is not bad except the random write speed.

Anybody is using this SSD on the mid-09 uMBP? any issues? I'm considering a SSD for my mid-09 15" 2.53GHz uMBP, but it seems that several members have reported issues for using OCZ SSDs on mid-09 uMBP.

2. Demthios macrumors member

if you are looking for a 256gb SSD look at the Intel's. They are running cheaper and are the quickly making their way to the top of the line.

3. tolive thread starter macrumors member

I do, strongly prefer Intel's SSD, but does Intel have any 250/256GB SSD? I can only find the X-25M 160GB.

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

That's the largest they come in, which is plenty, and the speed is AWESOME, I'd rather have a smaller amount of space and higher performance than more space and crappy performance. Random reads/writes are one of the most important things a drive needs to be good at.

5. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I have to carry all of my media with me - internally - at all times. I have to have both. ;)

So for now, I'll opt for space.

6. Demthios macrumors member

Soot Yes your right I don't know what I was thinking:rolleyes: they only have the 160gb, next year they will have the 300-320. My bad.

7. CTechKid macrumors regular

Keep in mind that the P256 from Corsair isn't open to user upgradable firmware and will never be. Their new Extreme Series is, but they cap out at 128 GB.

8. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I recall reading that when you upgrade the firmware on an SSD, you lose all of your data on the drive.

9. tolive thread starter macrumors member

Thanks CTechkid!
    So the firmware in the Corsair P256 is not user upgradable? or it's just not as convenient as the Intel ones?

10. CTechKid macrumors regular

The P256 from Corsair is not firmware upgradeable at all, so it won't be able to do any of the garbage collection most Gen2 and Gen3 SSD are gearing up to do now.

Good news though, apparently Corsair will be releasing an X256 in the near future. The entire X series is Indilinx controlled and welcomes firmware updates.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=42312&vpn=CMFSSD-256D1&manufacture=Corsair

11. tolive thread starter macrumors member

Well, I guess that I'd better wait for another 2-3 weeks for the 2nd Gen. Intel X-25M, looks like the Intel one is the current best choice.

12. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Oh crap! I just ordered the P256 from Amazon. What type/amount of pain I am looking forward to? Is not having upgradeable firmware a big deal? What other issues are known about this SSD?

If it doesn't work in my June 09 MBP with 1.7 and if Apple never gets around to fixing the issue - I might end up putting in my HP laptop but apart from that is this a good SSD or am I better off returning it and buying different 256Gb one? (Absolutely need 250Gb+).

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Good for you, I sure can't - at least without paying $700 for a gen. 1.:mad:

14. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

Just got this drive and installed it on new MBP.

The firmware is upgraded so it has TRIM (I am using it in bootcamp). I do not know if it has GC tho....

It is upgradeable firmware tho...but you have to wipe the drive and is very problematic. the current drives come with firmware updates of about december or so.