Any jumped to a SGS2 and regretted it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dj9928, Sep 16, 2011.

1. dj9928, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

dj9928 macrumors member

I got rid of my 3GS in August after listening to the hype surrounding the Galaxy S2, it was the same price as an iPhone 4 but a more modern device. I am very disappointed with it.

First thing the hit me was the bright screen, but then if I turned screen brightness up full on my old 3GS it was the same difference, I really didn't see what all the fuss was regarding the screen.

Next thing I noticed was just how weak the WiFi was, I literally had to be standing beside the router to get a full signal and a web search revealed loads of complaints about this.

Then we went onto the camera 8MP WOW, but it reality it was OK, I have taken photos on par with my 3GS, it also has 1080p HD recording which will chew your memory at a disastrous rate, 10 secs = 100mb

I'm a music fan and iTunes love it or hate it was a fantastic system, getting my iTune playlists onto the phone was a disaster but got it on with iSyncr only to discover the SGS2 doesn't read AAC files, well it will read them but all meta tags are unknown. There are work arounds that half solve the problem but in the end I had to convert all my music to MP3, then comes listening to music, disaster, at full volume its about half that of an iPhone meaning you can clearly hear ambient noise, I tried various work arounds non of which really worked.

Then onto battery life, My 3GS could easily last a day and a half, 2 days on Airplane mode. This has to be put on Airplane mode just to get through the day.

A month after getting it I said enough was enough and went to sell it, While both the SGS2 and iPhone 4 are the same price retail for resale the SGS2 = same price as a new 3GS or a poor condition iPhone 4, I put it on Gumtree not 1 phone call, Put it on eBay my 3 week old 32GB SGS2 went for the same price as a new 32GB iPhone 3GS or an old used scratched iPhone 4 and in the end I had a none paying bidder.

So it looks like I am totally stuck with this phone, I am hoping maybe the price of the iPhone 4 drops after the 5 is released but in my opinion the SGS2 is vastly over rated.

2. lilo777 macrumors 603

It looks like you should avoid iPhone 5 at all costs. It'll have the same camera resolution as SGSII and therefore you'll have the same problems with memory. Actually, it'll be worse because with SGSII you can swap flash cards and with iPhone - you can't. As far as WiFi performance is concerned, Samsung is just being more honest about the way they show the bars. Here is what Anandtech had to say about it:

"There’s something deceptive about this however, and it’s that although Samsung has chosen to go the usual compressed-dynamic-range route with cellular bars, the WLAN bars seem to be more linearized. Thus where I’m used to seeing every other smartphone show max (until you’re right about to fall off), the SGS2 actually doesn’t lie to me and shows fewer bars. Until I ran around and looked at RSSI in dBm, I suspected SGS2 had WLAN sensitivity issues where there don’t appear to be any. One small thing I did notice is that SGS2 (and BCM4330) seems to only connect at long guard interval (eg 65 Mbps maximum for single stream, 20 MHz channels), where SGS1 and BCM4329 connected at 72 Mbps short guard interval."

The actual performance of SGSII is pretty good and better than that of iPhone 4:

[​IMG]

And here is another chart that might help you understand how much better SGSII is compared to iPhone 4:

[​IMG]

Source.

3. note235 macrumors 6502a

ill buy your phone if your willing to sell

on the other hand which carrier was it?
    and ive heard immense praises about it, i handled on today and all i can say is the screen is amazing
    colors are more vivid and brighter than either iphones though ip4 beats in ppi, still the screen is AMAzing (sprint btw)

4. dj9928 thread starter macrumors member

Camera doesn't really bother me, I only use it for posting pics to Twitter/Facebook nothing major, As for WiFi it never loses connection so you may be right.

The big let down for me is the music side of things, I was thinking about getting an iPod Touch but then this would involve having 2 devices which would be stupid.

----------

Its the global unlocked version with the 1 button on front.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side !

Do you not have a friend, family member or colleague who may want to buy it off you.

There are high street shops in the Uk that will buy the phone but they will not give you full market price for it !

6. ElCidRo macrumors regular

When the iPhone 4 launched, I was a bit underwhelmed (lolwut?) so I chose to try an Android device. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S.
    I was immediately disappointed. It was a lot of tiny things that bothered me, for example the gallery, it would take time to load the thumbnails - on my 3GS it was instant on my 3000 picture gallery.
    The way the scroll worked - it didn't have the natural momentum feel of the iPhone, you made a small flick and the page would jump like crazy and keeeeeeeep going. :confused: I'm surprised that only Apple got this right. I saw the Windows 8 presentation, and the same stupid issue, the scroll speed is HUUUUGE.
    The pinch-to-zoom was awful as well, if you made a very very small pinch to zoom it wouldn't register like on the iPhone, it had like a lower-limit and if you surpassed it, it would register, same for the scroll. And the scroll speed really makes reading a web-page a nightmare.

Those days they kept touting benchmarks numbers and all that, but the phone felt so sluggish, even compared to my 3GS (I don't even know about iPhone 4). I kept looking for a fix, and I was amazed that all the owners would tweak and install all kinds of firmwares/roms etc etc... root your device, one click lagfix, new rom, new launcher (because Samsung's kind of sucks), task killers (are you kidding me?).
    To keep an Android in working order seemed like a full-time job. Hell I work less at my office, and I get paid for it pretty good :)

So I switched back to iPhone. But to the 3GS, because I used my upgrade on the SGS (i have 1 year contract over here).
    So I will no longer be fooled by the Android hype, there is A LOOOOOOT of dirt swept under the carpet, trust me. And all the little inconveniences will drive you mad if you used an iPhone for a few months before.

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

@OP I was in the same situation as you

I jumped shipped to Samsung Galaxy S2 last month after all the hype and the beastly specs. But in real world use this beastly specs are less important. It needs 1.2ghz specs just to run Android OS smoothly... Even though iPhone 4 runs at 800mhz, it is smooth. I was thrilled when I got it that it runs Flash very smoothly, but in reality that was a battery hog, so I limited myself using it. While the screen is vivid (I love the deep blacks), the resolution is poorly low. On an iPhone 4 or iPod touch 4 I can go to websites and view and read everything on portrait mode without having to zoom it. Unfortunately because of the S2's low res screen this cannot be achieved. Also, I noticed that when the background is white on the S2 and you tilt it on an angle it turns negative (blue). (This is how I see it ->) iPhone users enjoy the features out of the box. Android users tweak and tweak to improve the battery life! :D:D I was there too :rolleyes:

In real world, battery life matters to me. The Galaxy S2 only gives me about 4+ hours of use of straight web browsing... which isn't good enough.

----------

BTW I find Android fans to be so defensive... when new Android phones comes out (which is about every month) people will say "ooh ooh iPhone killer!"... seriously if that was the case iPhone should have been killed so many times since Samsung and HTC seems to keep spamming products.

Now I may sound like a hardcore Apple fanboy to some of you, but I don't care. I have tried what Android has to offer... and currently S2 is dubbed as the best Android phone. That phone hasn't convinced me that Android is better than iOS products and I won't ever get in to Android hype again.

8. dj9928, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

dj9928 thread starter macrumors member

Well believe me the SGS2 still has these little annoyances even with a Dual core processor, gallery slow to open, home screen lag etc.

----------

Android isn't a better OS, Apple have got iOS spot on in my opinion. I think I am just gonna have to admit I bought a turkey and take a big loss on this and buy a 3GS,

The thing I really do not get is the hype around this phone, Its like "Ok am I missing something here" I just don't get it.

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

That was another thing too. Resale value of Android is too low compared to the iPhone. After about 2 weeks of having it I listed it online to sell and was getting low interest. I thought I'll be stuck with it (I hated the thought) but luckily someone bought it.

What is the reason why you wouldn't want an iPhone 5?

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

So, in your estimation, the SGS2 doesn't even measure up to an old 3GS? Wow.

11. mxsweb macrumors newbie

From 3G, iP4 to SGS to BB.

I was waiting to upgrade my iP3G last year to the iP4 but the Samsung Galaxy S was having lots of hype around here. So I finally putted my hands on an iP4 but wanted still to go to the dark side so I sold it and bought the SGS. The specs a pretty much the same but boy was that a bad idea.

Once you used the iPhone for a while, there will never be any other phone that can bring you the same easy usability, apps and battery life.

I managed to get a BB Bold 9780 with also a 5mpx cam. Was that an error too.

Personally I hate the forfactor of the iP4, I prefer the old 3G design. But the internals are all for the iPhone 4.

I miss my iPhone 4 :(

12. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

People are missing one of the main things here, personal opinion.

Personally I think the SGS2 is a better phone than the iPhone 4 after having used both because it suits my needs. But for others of course it won't as they may prefer iOS as well as other reasons tying them to the iPhone.

13. randomhkkid macrumors member

Switched and never looked back

The galaxy s2 is great. I just got bored of iOS and decided i wanted something new. Here in the Uk it was actually cheaper than an iPhone 4 on contract. The battery lasts just as long on as on the iPhone and browsing the web is definitely a step up. This thing literally screams and the inclusion of flash is more helpful than i imagined it would be. It's not like i'm against apple i've had 3 iPod Touches and an iPhone as well as that i'm writing this on a mac. But to me this is just a better phone.

14. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

The iPhone has the best battery bar none. This is the biggest reason I have one, along with the multitude of apps. All high end Android phones have rubbish battery life.

15. ElCidRo macrumors regular

In my estimation the old 3GS is way better than SGS.

16. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

The SGS2 is great, but i didnt find it as good as my iPhone4.

Even though I had the SGS2 for free, I had sold it in just over a week, largely paying off my iPhone 5 in the process :D

17. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

3 year old 3GS is better than 2011 SG2

You do not know smartphones.

18. dj9928 thread starter macrumors member

It depends what you want a phone for, for me its all about music, measure the 2 of them up, a 3GS will kill the SGS2, I don't give a damn if the phone has X-Ray vision and can launch missiles, music is the most important thing for me, everything else comes second.

19. ahbdesign macrumors member

For music, it's gotta be the iPhone! I'm sure a lot of people (including android peeps) would agree that the iPhone is the best music phone available right now!. Music is one of the biggest reasons why I've stuck with the iPhone.

20. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Stopped reading there.

21. mosec macrumors newbie

I also jumped ship and bought myself an sg2. I kept it for two weeks before going back to my iPhone 4. I wanted to try something new and fresh. It was my first android and i thought sgs2 was the best choice. Don't get me wrong it's a great phone but in my opinion simply not as good as iPhone 4. Especially if you want good battery life. I'm waiting for iPhone 5 now

22. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Crazy how many of you bought Android devices without even trying them out first in a store, etc. Don't ever buy into hype and/or specs. You need to try them out in a store, research forums, etc. While I feel bad some of you had bad Android experiences, I do also think you were victims to taking a chance on a phone you knew little about beyond specs and hype.

Samsung Infuse 4G has a 4.5" screen and yet it still renders inferior text compared to the iPhone 4 because the screen isn't as crisp. Despite having a full inch more to display words, the text heavy sites still look like crap compared to the much smaller iPhone 4 screen.

Don't ever buy a cell phone until you have had a chance to play with one in a store. End of story.

Lastly, if I were to ever go Android, I'd probably get the Nexus Prime. Only way to avoid missing out on the latest Android OS.

23. Itxdjx macrumors member

SGSII imo is a better phone, and i think if you get a ipod touch it would be heaven best of both worlds i personally hate having music on my phone since it takes so much memory and the ip4 not having expandable memory. makes it tough especially with those pictures. I dont know about you all but my ip4 def lags here and there especially on the camera roll just takes a little long. but thats attribute to my 16 GB being pretty full.

I dont know why people swear they never had there iphones lag. get off the iCoolade.

Honestly i think they are both on par with one another, they are dif os, so some have strengths where the other dosent. I wouldnt put one over the other. BOTH great phone just wish it was stock android on the s2.

24. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

Try an iPod...you will be amazed!

25. dj9928 thread starter macrumors member

No point in carrying around 2 items,