Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rick Friele

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Henderson, NV
Anyone here use kismac? Do you use a GPS device in conjunction with it? Looking into a cheap USB GPS device that will work with kismac.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
i have kismac, but i dont have a gps device, even I was thinking of buying one. i looked at the ones from Garmin.you can check it out. but kismac wdnt work in passive mode with AE, so eventually i decided against it..

Rick Friele

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Henderson, NV
abhishekit said:
i have kismac, but i dont have a gps device, even I was thinking of buying one. i looked at the ones from Garmin.you can check it out. but kismac wdnt work in passive mode with AE, so eventually i decided against it..
I just have the basic airport card (B).

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
Does anyone know if Kismac will work with the built-in airport stuff on the PB's? I loaded it, and the driver that I understood to be the correct one, but it won't even see my wifi network at home, let alone any others in the area. It also seems to have affected Macstumbler, as that used to see my network, but now neither will. Any suggestions?

Rick Friele

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Henderson, NV
Stevp1 said:
Does anyone know if Kismac will work with the built-in airport stuff on the PB's? I loaded it, and the driver that I understood to be the correct one, but it won't even see my wifi network at home, let alone any others in the area. It also seems to have affected Macstumbler, as that used to see my network, but now neither will. Any suggestions?
It will work with the Apple Extreme cards, but only in Active mode. If you want to run in Passive mode you need either an external card or a regular Airport card. As far as conflicting with MacStumbler I am not sure. I prefer kismac over MacStumbler. It sees my network as <hidden ssid>. MacStumbler can't see hidden networks from what I understand unless that has changed in a newer version.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Rick Friele said:
I prefer kismac over MacStumbler. It sees my network as <hidden ssid>. MacStumbler can't see hidden networks from what I understand unless that has changed in a newer version.

Do you use kismac with a card in your powerbook? If so what card? and can you run your AE whilst running the card in passive mode?

Rick Friele

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Henderson, NV
aswitcher said:
Do you use kismac with a card in your powerbook? If so what card? and can you run your AE whilst running the card in passive mode?
I have an iBook with a regular airport (not extreme) card. Basically kismac unloads Apple's airport driver and loads their own. I can't use my airport while it's in passive mode. I don't really need to anyway because I am just driving around anyway. To load the default driver back I just log out and back in.

Still looking for some people who use kismac with a GPS device.

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
any reason why when im using KisMac i never pick up any packets? Its bothering me. Just seing if you guys had this problem as well...

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
If you are using an Airport Extreme card, you must use Active mode, which means you won't be able to pick up packets.

The original Airport cards can be used in passive mode, which means they are in promiscuous mode, and can capture packets.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
tomf87 said:
If you are using an Airport Extreme card, you must use Active mode, which means you won't be able to pick up packets.

The original Airport cards can be used in passive mode, which means they are in promiscuous mode, and can capture packets.

Is this because there is no software support in KisMac, or a fundamental difference in the design of the AE card?

Tyler
Earendil - AE User...

xalex1

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2004
Airport

Same here, i got PB with airport extreme, and cant see anythig at home, It might be because ther isnt any networks around. , whats the diffrenece between passive mode and active mode ? O and what is the gps used for here ? Is there any other program that will work with airport extreme ?

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
I tried it once to see how hard it was to break into a network with a WEP key. I was pleased to find that it wasn't easy enough for anyone to bother to break into my network. I know it could be done, but it's very unlikely that, for the trouble, someone wouldn't opt for one of the nearby open networks.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Titaniumducky, were you able to crack the WEP encryption? If so what software did you use to crack it? OR does anyone know of any programs that run in OSX?

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
Koodauw said:
Titaniumducky, were you able to crack the WEP encryption? If so what software did you use to crack it? OR does anyone know of any programs that run in OSX?

I tried using kisMAC. I collected a bunch of packets, saved them, and had it run the cracker. However, I failed for a while due to kisMAC crashing. Then I got it working but found out it would take a ridiculously long amount of time. That was why I decided no one would be likely to bother to break into my network when other networks of the same speed exist nearby and are open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.