Any laptop locks that can't be beaten with cardboard, paper clip, etc.?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Empr, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Empr macrumors member

So, it seems kensington locks, etc. can be unlocked quite easily with simple tools. Have they fixed this yet? Are there any locks that are reliable?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does a hacksaw count as a simple tool? Most locks can be defeated with one.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I made my own.
    http://micronetsoftware.com/blog/2009/02/07/homemade-laptop-lock/

I don't use it any more since security ended up not being much of an issue. Instead I have 16 1-foot sections of 1" square aluminum tubing bolted together to act like a giant heatsink. It keeps my CPU 10C cooler than just sitting on a desk.

4. Carlm90 macrumors newbie

Bury it underground, put a tonne of concrete on it and I'm pretty sure it will be safe until you want to use it next. :D

5. Empr thread starter macrumors member

Judging from the replies, I will take that as a no...

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

There is nothing reliable that uses the lock slot, because the slot itself is a big weakness. The only reliable lock would be something like the display sands they have at BestBuy that have a big metal bar over top. That's what I was trying to replicate with my design.

A regular cable lock might be better than nothing, but it would be better just to not leave your computer unattended if you can avoid it.

7. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

There are locks with tighter security, but it's easier eliminating the need for the stupid lock. It's more likely that somebody will spill coffee on my computer than steal it, particularly because I don't leave it out of view. I do often leave other things unattended and have never had anything stolen. If you are using a laptop in a high-crime area, I suggest not leaving that laptop alone in this area. A lock will not stop somebody from vandalizing it.