Any Libertarians / Ron Paul supporters here?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VenusianSky, Sep 15, 2012.

1. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I would like to know if there are any Libertarians / Ron Paul supporters here. Libertarian is the middle ground between the two, IMO. I am socially liberal and economically conservative. I believe that the federal government has its place for some laws and regulations, but not everything. Federal government is for protecting the individual liberties that this country was founded on. Federal government is also for the protection of the country from foreign invasion. (It is easy to forget that other people in the world will hate us when a World War has not occurred in over 60 years, but history does repeat). One thing the federal government is bad at is managing money for the entire country. In general, many people are bad at managing money and politicians are no different. Libertarian is about ending the fed and turning control of money to the real public, not some shady federal organization. Libertarian is also about bringing home the troops and protecting are own borders. Libertarian is about allowing state and local governments to have more control of what is socially and economically suitable for those communities, while protecting the individual liberties. It bothers me when misinformed people think Libertarians are anarchist, which I hear a lot.

To me, Libertarian views make the most sense and I just want to know if anyone shares the same view.

2. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I like Ron Paul everything he talks about made perfect sense to me ( well not everything) the legalization of Marijuana talks is a bit too much for me, but when it came to foreign policy i thought he had the right attitude and right mindset, but he got nothing but boos from the naive american voters, because they refuse to face reality when it comes to their policies for example in the middle east, if he had a real shot he would've gotten my vote , unfortunately he doesn't and not many who share his views will have a shot in the near future

3. VenusianSky thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

When I talk to people about supporting Ron Paul, most people just think he is crazy and they look at me strangely for supporting him. It's funny that the most brilliant minds in history, IMO, are often perceived as crazy people. So the question is, who is actually the crazy one? Somebody that fools themself into believing and agreeing with every position of the democrat and republican parties even though deep down they really don't (or what I like to call, an extreme political conformist), or someone that lives by reason and sees both sides of the democrat/republican view? I guess both can either be considered crazy or sane, since what is crazy/sane is simply relative to the individual.

Whoknows87: I like your signature, btw. People tend to make things more complicated than what they need to be.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Who would be better at that?

5. VenusianSky thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

A more transparent system. The current fed is too corrupt and hush hush. With the Internet, the public should be able to know exactly where every federal dollar is going. A website for example, completely open to the public, where we can see where the money is going and how much. First thing though is that we need to get rid of the corrupted system currently in place, by voting out those that want to keep it.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well i will say that Ron Paul did seem like the only sensible Republican Candidate this time around. I might have voted for him had he won the primary.

7. VenusianSky thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

You can vote for anyone. That is the great thing about democracy. Heck, you can write in Bugs Bunny if you wanted to. :)

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I believe that a large part of that was that Paul was never really a serious contender for the nomination. He could play the part as the irascible "truth-teller" because he didn't have to pander to the base. It's much easier to be sensible, if you don't plan on winning.

Hey. So am I. And I'm a member of the Green Party.

9. VenusianSky, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

VenusianSky thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I like Jello Biafra. He is very informed person and the only Green member I know of. I am not very knowledgeable of the Green party's position on many issues, and I don't agree with Jello's views on some things anymore (well his views from many years ago). I did at one time and his views may have changed since. Life will change your views on political matters if you let it, and I think it is fine to accept that change. To accept change is to accept that we evolve.

If Green and Libertarian share similar views, they should team up. :)

10. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Yeah that would probably describe me as well. Middle of the road.

I don't agree with everything Ron Paul says but I like the fact that he isn't afraid to be different from others.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The best part about Ron Paul is that he says what he believes and doesn't pander to the base.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just like I said.

When you don't care about winning, it's a lot easier to tell the unvarnished truth.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think Ron Paul inspired many younger people to think differently and realize there isn't only two sides in politics. You can be socially liberal and fiscally conservative at the same time. At least in theory, I don't think it has ever been practiced. Winning is relative in this case.

I would much rather watch Paul debate Obama than Romney.

14. TSE macrumors 68030

I am a huge Ron Paul fan. I think he is a little bit too idealist at times, but the ideas, enthusiasm, and the fact he never lies and isn't run by whoever gives him money is what makes me adore him so much.

Gary Johnson is a little bit more moderate than Ron Paul, and I really like him also. The only thing I notice is he can give brilliant speeches to small groups and events, but if you watch him speak to large groups (check out the Republican Debates for example), he looks really nervous and stutters. Not a good thing for a politician to have. That doesn't effect the way I view him, however.

I could see the Libertarian platform becoming huge in 20-30 years. Or at least libertarian policies get more incorporated into the Republican Party after the current 50-80 year olds bringing it down die out.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Liberals (like me) have known that for a long time.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You mean like http://usaspending.gov/? Created by the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006, introduced by Senators Coborn, McCain, Carper, and then-Senator Obama?

That would actually be a constructive debate and would be interesting to watch. Obama vs Romney is going to be Romney making up a bunch of lies and Obama beating them all down with the facts.

17. TSE macrumors 68030

Agreed. Obama is a brilliant speaker and debater. Ron Paul is also. Mitt just attacks people and talks a bunch of ********.

Ron Paul vs. Obama debate would be MASSIVE. Probably one of the best debates in American history.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd love to hear what Paul would say about civil rights and the role of the federal vs. state government.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I would vote for Jesse Ventura if he was running.

20. VenusianSky, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

VenusianSky thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Funny I've never heard of that site. The media should be all over that thing 24/7, but I guess people would rather hear about the personal lives of celebrities rather than where there tax dollars are going, and the media only gives the people what they want. Can the system be audited by anyone (such as state governments and media)?

Political candidates all lie, or I should say, make many promises they cannot keep by lying. It is the nature of getting a job by winning over the people's support. Ron Paul seems to be more genuine than other politicians, which I like. Can't say the same about Romney or Obama.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

To be president of the United States you have to appeal across a broad spectrum of people. Ron Paul seems more genuine because he's never had to do that. In order to become POTUS, he'd either have to temper that quality, or he'd have to get used to losing. The political landscape is littered with genuine losers: H.Ross Perot, Ralph Nader, etc. Being genuine is not itself sufficient for holding the highest office in our land.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The media doesn't like to let actual facts get in the way of their sensationalism. Sensationalism = ad revenue.

Stretching the truth and making promises that can't always be fulfilled is inherent of politics. That said, Romney and his campaign have gone WAY beyond that this election, to the point of completely fabricating things that are straight up lies, and trying to repeat them enough that the less intelligent people in this country believe them as the truth. It's a disgusting attempt at a power-grab.

Yes, President Obama is not perfect. Yes, he has not fulfilled all of the promises he made in 2008. And yes, he does stretch the truth sometimes. But I can't point to any instances off the top of my head where he completely and egregiously lied like Romney & Ryan have done literally hundreds of times over the course of this campaign.

I would hope that most people currently supporting Ron Paul would evaluate both candidates, realize how devastating a Romney presidency would be to the general population of this country, and vote for President Obama in November. You might not agree with the President on every issue, but you can bet that you agree with him on many more issues than you do with Romney (if you can even figure out where he stands on those issues this week).

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

not personally, but there's some overlap. I'm fairly keen on personal liberty, though I'm by no stretch of the term conservative, fiscally socially or anyhow. To me the free market is just a somewhat less direct method of systematic social inequality and I feel it enslaves us as much as any direct restriction upon personal freedom.

I just don't buy trickle down, nor the argument for gold over fiat or any of the other fiscal tenants that conservative libertarians go by these days.

two principles govern my views on politics: mill's harm principle as applied to what should/should not be legal and the simple observation that we are stronger when as a species we work together, any political system in my mind should just be a best-effort defined system to maximise those two with as little suffering as possible, to ensure the greatest approximation of a utopia as possible.

Currently we seem to suck at this, I'm deeply disappointed by the ******** that seems to be passed off as a system that works in anyones favour but those who hold all the cards. It makes me angry.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Two fine principles to live by ... and to compel one's government to embrace as well.

25. VenusianSky thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I agree and that is also why I like Ron Paul. Not only is he genuine, he is very knowledgeable and I agree with more of his positions than the other candidates. He also seems quite wise, which comes with age.