Any MacRumors Members who do not celebrate any holiday?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maestro55, Dec 23, 2007.

1. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

To provide a bit of background, I wasn't raised religious, my family celebrated Christmas when I was a kid and then when I was a teenager my dad who was rather agnostic decided he really like Paganism and he married my stepmom who is Wiccan so we did Yule; however, I was never religious and have considered myself an Atheist and so this is my second year in which I haven't celebrated anything. It always freaks people out as if there is something seriously wrong with me. Sure the gifts would be nice, but I find it hard to celebrate a religious holiday just to get gifts. I have to wonder, is there anyone else here who doesn't celebrate anything this time of the year?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't celebrate Xmas really... except as a national holiday in the UK and as a break from work. And it's nice to cluster a lot of social events around it but I don't buy Xmas presents, nor do I encourage people to give them to me. This Xmas, like many others before it, I spend by myself... and this one will be spent here on MR. :)

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I haven't celebrated anything, much less an arbitrary day at any time of the year, in decades.

4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm Jewish but I don't really celebrate Hannukah or Christmas either. Just a nice time of year to relax :D

5. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Nope. None at all. Last year my girlfriend bought me some XMas presents, even though i told her I wasnt going to celebrate the holiday. Then I felt kind of bad about it so I was going to do XMas this year... but we broke up, so... No pagan holidays for me! Yay!

I was always against celebrating the holidays because they all have pretty questionable (to say the least) backgrounds. Now Im sort of wavering a bit. Not because my opinions have changed, but because I figure it doesnt really make a difference and if the person/people you care about wants to celebrate something, what does it really hurt? Although... Halloween still really creeps me out, so I wont be changing my ways regarding that one anytime soon.

Or people who actually know and understand what the holidays stand for and dont want to be a part of them. And no, Im not one.

7. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Christmas, I don't believe, really has a background anymore. For Americans it's just a annual time to come together and exchange gifts. Christmas has largely become a Christain-based event with a mostly secular execution. There are many families I know that celebrate only the tree and the togetherness.

Holidays are what you make them.

QQ

8. stomer macrumors 6502a

I really couldn't care less about Christmas, holidays or any other arbitrary date change event.
    But, I join the ride and participate in the Christmas traditions, not out of any personal desire, but because it's easier than pissing off my family.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well we weren't brought up in a religious environment but we go through the Christmas rigmarole. It's less about religion and more and family these days so I don't see why people get in a huff over it.

10. mpw Guest

See you here then.

I'm sure on my first Christmas as a member on MR you and I were both on the forums on Christmas day.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That rings a bell. Ho ho. :D

I'm settled in for the next three days here, watching everyone unwrap their Apple goodies and cleaning up the tinsel. Got some other bits and bobs to do here as well.

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I celebrate with family and friends, thats pretty much all that matters to me, not really that interested in people telling me why they don't and why I shouldn't because I've 'forgotten whats its really about'.

Fair enough if you don't, but don't tell me why I shouldn't as well.

13. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Exactly. It was a festival period here in the UK long before this country became Christian anyway. It's as much a cultural holiday as it is a symbolic religious occasion.

Be merry everyone! It's the only time us Brits are allowed to be.

14. mpw Guest

Wow, such minor difference to how we're spending the holidays :D

15. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

And is now rapidly being overtaken by foreigners :(
    PC Brigade :eek:

16. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I wasn't brought up religiously but like most families, we celebrate Christmas; although I feel the background information on why it's on Dec 25th a little lackluster ;)

17. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Would you get away with smiling at people in the street on any other day? No, you'd get mugged. :D

18. mpw Guest

:confused: What is? Christmas? the UK?

19. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I don't think anyone is getting in a huff about Christmas and 'believers' each to their own.

My, my husband and my side of my family are athiests (my mum sounds agnostic, rather than Athiest) but we do celebrate Christmas. We have 3 Children and they get excited for it. We have left it up to them whether they choose to believe in god or not though as my family always did the "I don't believe in god" thing so I just stemmed from what I was taught from them.

We also believe this time of the year is for family, friends and the importance in spending time together. I don't give gifts to my friends as most of them have the same it's for the children thing going on also, which is nice.

20. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I don't want to smile at people, or them to smile at me, talk to me, offer me some chewing gum or ask me what the time is.
    I want them to leave me alone and mind their own business.
    My life is like sitting on the tube 24/7 :)

21. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Why do American's call it "Holiday" and not "Christmas". In England, "holiday" would usually be associated with one [vacation] in the summer. We don't use the word vacation, a holiday is a period of time off work usually with no religious festival, "Easter", "Christmas" etc

22. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Yeah, I played Secret Santa at work, sent of a couple presents, received a couple and that's it.

If I could stay with my Grandparents for a meal that would be fine, but besides that I really can't feel the Christmas spirit.

At Christmas I always get excited about the upcoming New Year parties.

23. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Easter and Christmas aren't religious?
    :confused:

24. mpw Guest

American English is often a more simple, literal version of English.

"It's the little differences. A lot of the same **** we got here, they got there, but there they're a little different..."