Any major advantage of Apple TV over an Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dmk1974, Oct 11, 2013.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I am looking to add one or the other to one of my TV's. Obviously the Xbox 360 is a gaming machine as well, but the intent for this particular TV would be to use it as a media device.

I'm seeing the 4GB Xbox 360 Slim units for about $100 (with controller..which I would give to my kids for one of the other Xboxes). I have a universal remote for this particular TV which I will program.

Aside from AirPlay capability of course, are there any other main benefits of the AppleTV that I should consider? A primary benefit for me with the Xbox is the Xfinity app and the Amazon Prime Video app.

Thanks!

2. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

Another option:
    Get a blu-ray player with all the options including Amazon Prime, and an AppleTV. You can pick up an extra controller.

That way you're covered on all fronts, and it can be done under $200.

3. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I've already got an older blu-ray on that TV, but it doesn't have all the web stuff.

The main app for me is the Xfinity app. I don't have actual Comcast cable boxes, but have TiVo Premiere 4's so no on-demand. And of course in our small Chicago metro area, no TiVo Xfinity on-demand yet.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

ATV plays iTunes content. If you don't care about that, Airplay, or the small efficient footprint, then get the Xbox.

I can't comment on Xfinity though, no idea what that is.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

There are a few options such as a Blu Ray Player or Roku that stream most services out there. But if you want to play games, then the game console is still going to be your best bet. But if you want iTunes content, then you need to go with the ATV since the other boxes don't steam iTune services. I need both Amazon on Demand and iTunes so I use a Sony Blu Ray player and Apple TV.

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

Don't u have to pay to use Xbox live or whatever is called ?

7. morphineseason macrumors regular

Yep. With the 360 you need to be a Xbox Live Gold subscriber (~$60 a year) on top of all of your other subscriptions (Netflix, Hulu, etc.). With Apple TV you just need the subscriptions to the respective services.

For me, the big advantages of Apple TV are the low power consumption, instant on access, and complete silence of the box. It's also WAY faster to get to each app than it is on the 360. It take a good 20-30 seconds to even get the 360 powered on and at the home screen. Then you have to fumble your way through the tacky interface, which takes even longer, and hope that the app doesn't require an update or download or else you'll be waiting even longer for that to complete.

If you're really looking for a gaming + media streaming solution though, I'd recommend springing for a PS3. At least with that, you won't need an extra subscription on top of your others, and you'll have a built in blu ray player. Their newest hardware revision is also much smaller and more power efficient compared to the current 360 hardware.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

But with Xbox you do get access to more services. And you can find the yearly subscription much cheaper if you look for a sale.

The Xbox 360 is slower to startup and is louder. Although in general the apps have a much better interface on the Xbox. For example, the WatchESPN app on the Xbox let's you do split screen and let's you browse content while you are watching a live stream. This is really useful on Saturdays when you are watching college football.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you buy movies and TV digitally from Apple, Apple TV fits right in. You can buy them from the iTunes store and play them on a computer, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. Having two ATVs is part of what pushed me toward buying all my movies from iTunes (not to mention discs have stopped piling up, at least new ones).

You do need a $60 annual Xbox Live Gold membership to access most of anything Internet-related on Xbox. As of right now I don't know of any major apps Xbox has that Apple doesn't. They both have Netflix, ESPN, HBO. You can find a $10 remote to use when watching TV stuff on Xbox, and you have the simplistic ATV remote and app options for controlling ATV.

I would say ATV has a big advantage over Xbox because of how integrated it is with all the other Apple stuff. The AirPlay feature is great for many uses, and new apps seem to be coming monthly or bi-monthly.

The only advantage I see from the Xbox is if you already own that system and want to play DVDs (not BDs) on it. But even then it's iffy. It's a great game system, but kinda lousy on being a media center. Does anybody know anyone who buys movies and TV shows from Microsoft? I buy them from iTunes, and I'm sure I could find some who do so from Amazon.

10. neilmacd macrumors 6502

For me it's down to this..

Power consumption (Netflix HD):

Xbox 360 S (2012) = 65w
    Apple TV 3 (Tweaked 2013) = 0.85w

I know it only adds up to a few £/$ a year, but it's a few more quid in my pocket and not the piss taking energy company's.

So that, and the noise, and the start up time.

And the fact that I, personally, have an Apple friendly setup.

11. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks for the replies!

Power consumption definitely is a big difference. But for the Xbox, I don't leave it on all the time...only when using. Per month or year, it's not that much extra cost.

If AppleTV had an Xfinity On Demand app or let me AirPlay the video from my iPad Xfinity app to the AppleTV, then I'd really have no use for the Xbox in my bedroom.

12. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

I have both and use my appletv more then the xbox360 for all the other stuff
    (Hulu and netflix)

but with the new XBOX ONE coming out we will see how that works and changes.

XBOX ON!!!!

cant wait for this!!!!

13. mellofello macrumors 65816

I have both and stream to the apple tv because my 360 sounds like a jet engine. Very disrupting when watching a movie. If I had to choose one or the other then the 360 wins hands down.

I use a app called vuse on my imac to "aquire" content. It will auto detect my 360 and stream avi, and mpeg hd files. It will also stream to apple but needs to reencode which can take hours.

14. brentsg macrumors 68040

The current model Xbox 360 should be quiet, so that isn't likely to be an issue with units that are currently for sale.

15. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Xbox360, if your streaming your own stuff you dont need a subscription of any kind. But your laptop needs to be running PS3 Media Server or some other sort of variant. Also the XBOX360 is limited in media files it supports...

So your looking at power consumption for the xbox + your laptop/pc.

ATV, once it jailbroken you can use 1channel and other addons to basically stream non downloaded content. The ATV2 for me has paid itself off just in watching tv shows from streaming websites in EXCELLENT quality without even having to download anything.

Overall the XBOX360 is a nice machine (have one, and use it) but for streaming content and watching it ATV beats it hands down.

16. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

It really depends on what you want or what you are trying to do.

17. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

biggest benefit, you don't have to pay apple $$$ a year to access your content on apple TV , to use an xbox 360 for almost anything you have to buy Xbox Live.

Worst paywall on the planet, and yet consumers bought into it...just proves to me how stupid people can be.

Xbox live is basically charging you to access netflix, facebook, and other "features" that your either already paying for, or are freely available, so Microsoft gets a slice of revenue and you effectively pay again to access stuff your already paying to access, its like a different bank charging you rent on top of the mortgage you have with its competitor.

Get a PS3 if you want a free to use media streamer, an Apple TV if everything you own is in iTunes..