Any MBA 2018 owners swapping to the new MBA 2019 with the ?new keyboard

Kraizelburg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Hi all, I bought my 2018 MBA base model around Jan which I haven't had any problem with, but now that apple plans to realease a new model with improved keyboard I feel like a little stupid.

I was wondering whether it's worth selling it and getting the new one or not?

Opinions are welcome :)

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
There will be always some improvements or new things in new models, so even you buy possible upcoming 2019 version, something better is coming in the future. There is no end to this. Besides no one knows what or if anything is coming this year. This current model is already completely renewed last fall, so I don't expect them to do any dramatic changes to chassis which means they cannot change keyboard very much. There is no room for longer stroke keyboards in the current chassis unless you put in smaller battery. Sure they could do that since possible new cpu consume less power in light load but then again it probably has higher TDP than the current one - meaning that it will draw much more power under high load causing less battery run time, so combine that with possible smaller battery and you will have a lot of unhappy customers. Personally I don't see that happening but I've know to be a bad fortune teller, so you never know. :D

Also you realize Apple offers 4 year warranty for the current Air 2018 models, so that should give some piece of mind. Sure I'd hate to send mine to service but still better than nothing and probably you may get 4th gen keyboard so maybe it will be better.

Kraizelburg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
There will be always some improvements or new things in new models, so even you buy possible upcoming 2019 version, something better is coming in the future. There is no end to this. Besides no one knows what or if anything is coming this year. This current model is already completely renewed last fall, so I don't expect them to do any dramatic changes to chassis which means they cannot change keyboard very much. There is no room for longer stroke keyboards in the current chassis unless you put in smaller battery. Sure they could do that since possible new cpu consume less power in light load but then again it probably has higher TDP than the current one - meaning that it will draw much more power under high load causing less battery run time, so combine that with possible smaller battery and you will have a lot of unhappy customers. Personally I don't see that happening but I've know to be a bad fortune teller, so you never know. :D

Also you realize Apple offers 4 year warranty for the current Air 2018 models, so that should give some piece of mind. Sure I'd hate to send mine to service but still better than nothing and probably you may get 4th gen keyboard so maybe it will be better.
t
I know but according to some rumours, Apple will finally get rid of butterfly design in favour of traditional scissor mechanism. And this is a big improvement in my opinion.

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
Honestly you could write a book about rumors that never materialized. Personally I think it is impossible to get longer stroke scissor keyboard in the current chassis. Sure they can make scissor keyboard with as short key stroke as in current one but that unlikely change anything as the problem likely is from the short stroke and very little "play" it offer when it comes to debris that gets there eventually…

I like a lot of current keyboards how it feels to type. Now that I have gotten used to short stroke keyboards in my other devices, I prefer one always vs. traditional keyboards. Of course longevity worries a bit but as said, 4 year extra warranty for it gives peace of mind.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
wh
Hi all, I bought my 2018 MBA base model around Jan which I haven't had any problem with, but now that apple plans to realease a new model with improved keyboard I feel like a little stupid.

I was wondering whether it's worth selling it and getting the new one or not?

Opinions are welcome :)
Why exactly do you feel stupid? You bought your computer in January. You bought what was available at the time. How does that make you stupid? You have a good computer. Use it, enjoy it, wear it out, and then sell it on eBay and buy another one. Whatever Air is coming in a few months won't do anything different than the Air you own. It computes, that's it. Move on and enjoy life.

Reactions: Ghost31

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
t
I know but according to some rumours, Apple will finally get rid of butterfly design in favour of traditional scissor mechanism. And this is a big improvement in my opinion.
Let's be careful here. It has potential to be a big improvement. Until people use it and we know for a fact how it works, it could be the same or (less likely) worse than the current keyboard offering.

BLBL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2018
So today they released updated Air. Did it get anything else than true tone display (but still no P3??) (and maybe updated butterfly 4th gen keyboard)? Looks pretty much the same as before. Not even updated CPU? Was the price also reduced a bit?

Also looks like Pro models all come with Touch Bar and lowest model price is close to what non TB was. Really makes me think if I should return my Air 2018 to get new updated Pro with TB.

omelet1978

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
So today they released updated Air. Did it get anything else than true tone display (but still no P3??) (and maybe updated butterfly 4th gen keyboard)? Looks pretty much the same as before. Not even updated CPU? Was the price also reduced a bit?

Also looks like Pro models all come with Touch Bar and lowest model price is close to what non TB was. Really makes me think if I should return my Air 2018 to get new updated Pro with TB.
Basically Apple cleaned up their Macbook lineup by getting rid of the 12 in Macbook and dropping the price of the base 13 in MacBook Air. Other than True Tone it’s pretty much the same. As for getting the Pro over the Air, I bought the MacBook Air bc of the lightweight form factor over the MacBook Pro and the fact that I really did not need the extra power. I also after researching it decided the touchbar was not a reason to go to the Pro since from multiple reviews the regular function keys are just as if not even more practical on day to day usage.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
this is the same keyboard as in the 2019 MBP, right? If so don't think there is a big difference between the 2018/19
I was under the impression apple was going to put some "totally new" keyboard into the new MBA??

Kraizelburg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
this is the same keyboard as in the 2019 MBP, right? If so don't think there is a big difference between the 2018/19
I was under the impression apple was going to put some "totally new" keyboard into the new MBA??
According to Ming Chi Kuo the new MBA will have scissors mechanism instead of butterfly.
My guess is that the recent MBA 2019 is just apple trying to get rid of stock before they can push a new model.

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
According to Ming Chi Kuo the new MBA will have scissors mechanism instead of butterfly.
My guess is that the recent MBA 2019 is just apple trying to get rid of stock before they can push a new model.
Im confused because apple website says "The latest-generation MacBook Air keyboard features our butterfly mechanism — providing four times more key stability than a traditional scissor mechanism, along with greater comfort and responsiveness. And individual LED-backlit keys with an ambient light sensor help you type in low-light environments." there's no way they'd fit a scissor into the air.......