Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you plan to upgrade to Mavericks?

• Yes

Votes: 78 90.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
In the past with windows machines I've had baaaaad experiences when upgrading my machine to new versions of the OS because the hardware was built to handle the OS version it came with, not the new update. Things like battery life going to hell, trackpads no longer working correctly, random shutdowns, overheating, and general laginess :(

I just purchased my first Mac and have never had an experience upgrading OS X so I'm curious:

Are there any MBA owners planning NOT to upgrade to Mavericks? If so why?

Thank's for your input :)

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Hmmm. I dont see why they wouldnt upgrade. That's one of the reasons I moved away from windows. Nothing seemed to want to work with everything else >.< (i.e. hardware and software). I wonder how well the battery life of the airs will be under mavericks, since it is optimized for low power comsumption

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hmmm. I dont see why they wouldnt upgrade. That's one of the reasons I moved away from windows. Nothing seemed to want to work with everything else >.< (i.e. hardware and software). I wonder how well the battery life of the airs will be under mavericks, since it is optimized for low power comsumption

i resisted lion and ML for a while - lion initially because i ddn't like how they were increasing the "ios" look of the OS and relying more on the app store - but then because of reports of bugginess. i also really loved SL which i still think is the best overall OS of all time....

when i first upgraded i hated the changes to the gestures, but eventually i got used to it. i have had some problems w/ ML not playing nice with my SSD but otherwise i'm happy enough.

i don't like being an "early adopter" so either way i'll hang back and see what people think. definitely planning on upgrading though - no real love keeping me with ML:)

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I really don't understand why folks DON'T upgrade. I've been in the software business long enough to tell you code bases are indifferent to whatever label the marketing department decides to put on them. If you are using an outdated system you are putting yourself in an unfortunate situation. With every new release the code base gets more effective, it is often simplified, debugged, and will run better on the hardware. OS X is amazing in that it does not require any new hardware and the upgrade should just work. And if it does not Apple is kind enough to tell you no. So why would anyone NOT take advantage of this?

I do have to say, Windows was entirely different. It is perhaps because of Microsoft that folks are generally afraid of the perils of updated software. But you have understand, Microsoft was selling you software and PC makers often benefited when the new software no longer worked and you were forced to buy new hardware.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I would wait at least until 10.9.3 released. I prefer functionality and stable over the fresh look and new features.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I really don't understand why folks DON'T upgrade.

Moving from Snow Leopard to Lion or Mountain Lion caused problems for a lot of people. Rosetta was dropped, older hardware wasn't supported.

All it takes is ONE program to not work with the new OS to have someone to stay with what they've got. One good thing about Windows is the lengths they go through to keep older apps working with the newest versions of Windows (Especially in the 3.1 -> 95 and 98 -> XP transitions)

But I'll be updating to Mavericks for the increased battery life alone :)

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
i bought my 2012 Macbook Air when they were still shipping with Lion initially. I upgraded to Mountain Lion the day it went live on the App Store and i had no issues. If anything, it ran better with Mountain Lion than Lion. Plus, Mavericks has so much under the hood type of changes that decreases CPU activity and thus, better battery life so i think i'd be worth upgrading to that. If you're still nervous about, wait until the first update (10.9.1) to fix any potential bugs.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
Moving from Snow Leopard to Lion or Mountain Lion caused problems for a lot of people. Rosetta was dropped, older hardware wasn't supported.

Are you sure about the hardware? In my experience Apple should block the update if it won't work on your machine. Totally agree on the third party software issues. But I really don't think it has anything to do with Apple. In talking to a friend, Rosetta in particular is one of those companies that is not very competent at software in general.

Bach2011

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
I would wait a while until all applications I need fully support a new OS. My previous MBA came with Lion and I upgraded to ML without having any problems afterward. But when re-install ML and change the owner name to my friend, it's a bit painful. I had to have Genius install some software e.g. iPhoto for me.

On Windows side, I never have problems when upgrading. But I always use full version of a new Windows to install though. If existing hardware specification is supported, there is no issue (not like I would install Win 7 on Pentium IV or very old spec). I have purchased only IBM, Lenovo (Thinkpad), and Dell (Optiplex), and they provide very good support on drivers. I would avoid some brands e.g. Sony as it'll be painful to find drivers, especially for laptops (e.g. hotkeys).

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I wouldn't see why anyone won't update, they always come out with fixes, so if theres a common problem it'll get fixed.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I really don't understand why folks DON'T upgrade. I've been in the software business long enough to tell you code bases are indifferent to whatever label the marketing department decides to put on them. If you are using an outdated system you are putting yourself in an unfortunate situation. With every new release the code base gets more effective, it is often simplified, debugged, and will run better on the hardware. OS X is amazing in that it does not require any new hardware and the upgrade should just work. And if it does not Apple is kind enough to tell you no. So why would anyone NOT take advantage of this?

I do have to say, Windows was entirely different. It is perhaps because of Microsoft that folks are generally afraid of the perils of updated software. But you have understand, Microsoft was selling you software and PC makers often benefited when the new software no longer worked and you were forced to buy new hardware.

i feel like i just gave a pretty good reason... do you not remember the problems people had initially w/ lion?

unless of course you are talking about people who never upgrade and then yes - i'm right there with you.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Not sure

I was totally turned off by the WWDC keynote. Presenters cracking wise on inventory on sale in Apple stores. Made me wonder what they were trying to prove. Not at all necessary to discredit people who contributed much to Apple and are no longer with the company. Very poor form IMHO.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I was totally turned off by the WWDC keynote. Presenters cracking wise on inventory on sale in Apple stores. Made me wonder what they were trying to prove. Not at all necessary to discredit people who contributed much to Apple and are no longer with the company. Very poor form IMHO.

what are you talking about specifically?

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Jony Ive was the consummate professional. He was the high point. The others left me shaking my head.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Updates are always welcome. It's always about the new features, right?

I have to disagree with anyone who says that they have trouble upgrading Windows. I for one have never had issues. When I did it I just moved over the stuff I wanted to keep onto an external drive and got a fresh install. Even when Windows 8 Consumer Preview was out I chose the upgrade option on my Windows XP, Pentium 4 machine and it kept everything. No issues.

My dad's MacBook Air could probably do well with the upgrade. It's a 2010 model I believe and for some odd reason it kernel panics far too often, much worse than Windows ME on cheap hardware. Haven't tried reinstalling 10.6, but if the update is compatible I'm sure it will be just fine. I don't know what my dad did to it, but it's not normal.

*Just to point something out, don't upgrade a Windows machine if you don't know what you're doing. I'm not saying it's difficult, but it's easy to screw it up.*

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
I will not be updating on day 1. I did this with my 15" pro when lion was launched, and my wireless printer stopped working for about 10 days while I waited on an update.

I am hopeful that the number of DP's and even beta ios releases are a sign that apple wants to work out as many kinks as it can. Who knows, maybe 10.9.1 will be fantastic. Either way, I'll wait a few days before upgrading. There isn't any new feature that I am dying to have so bad that it can't wait.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
This will be something I decide when Mavericks is released.

If it is gonna solve the auto-sleep issue during usage, and also give me full AC compatibility... I'm bumping to Mavs right away.

Hopefully I can run full screen apps on my external monitor and use other apps on my mac simultaneously as well, with Mavs.

If Mavs enable these points said above, I'll upgrade instantaneously.

If not, I'll probably wait for feedback.

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
The topic asked for MacBook Air owners not any other laptop/desktop.

I have a macbook air... see the sig

I wanted hawell ultrabook.. My options were Sony Pro 13, Acer S7 and 13 Macbook air.

Sony pro- I brought one wifi didnt work so I returned it
Acer S7- acer doesn't have i5/256gb/8gb configs out and battery life was pretty low compared top the macbook air but has a IPS 1080p.. I decided battery life was more important

Macbook air- has lower res but higher battery life, better gpu and the spec I wanted (i5/256gb/8gb)

I installed windows 8 and wiped osx

Last edited:

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I have a macbook air... see the sig

I wanted hawell ultrabook.. My options were Sony Pro 13, Acer S7 and 13 Macbook air.

Sony pro- I brought one wifi didnt work so I returned it
Acer S7- acer doesn't have i5/256gb/8gb configs out and battery life was pretty low compared top the macbook air but has a IPS 1080p.. I decided battery life was more important

Macbook air- has lower res but higher battery life, better gpu and the spec I wanted (i5/256gb/8gb)

I installed windows 8 and wiped osx
It would have been nice if you previously stated in your original comment that you meant MacBook Air rather than computer.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.