Any mention of Touch Id sensor for other app/website logins?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I guess it's not a question of if but when this will happen. I think apple would just have to come up with a system/wizard on the phone where you enter the existing password for the app/website you want to access. It then sends the actual password to the A7 and stores it there. Then just accesses it with the touch id sensor whenever it is accessed. I imagine this is how they are tying itunes/apple id to the touch id sensor.

I guess this will be just a beta test for all things future with the sensor.

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Maybe in the future like for bank apps and such. But, it's definitely a good idea for Apple to limit it to their apps first.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I was thinking about this. It'd be nice if it had further uses then at the same time I'm not sure how I feel about it.

4. mykaluk macrumors member

I really hope you can set it specifically to the Messages app. It'd be nice to be able to allow people on my phone but know that there's no way they can read messages without requiring another finger confirmation.

Has apple announced which of their own apps can use the scanner?

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I was surprised that Apple didn't make it so that you can restrict individual apps with a fingerfit lock.

I think I recall Apple saying that no 3rd party apps have access to fingerprint data, maybe that means it won't be usable with other apps at all.

6. mykaluk macrumors member

Yeah, I also recall them specifically saying no third party apps can have access to it but I'm sure they also said 'it isn't just for unlocking the phone, it's build 'deep' inside ios7'.. But they only example they gave was the App Store. Surely 2 uses doesn't consitute 'deep' integration?

7 days till we find out I guess!

7. 617aircav Suspended

Would you be comfortable giving different apps this data?

8. boshii, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm sure when apple integrates iCloud Keychain it will use the TouchID.

For now though, it's only limited to unlock, iTunes and App Store.

Who knows, maybe the jailbreak community will come with a way to open it up some more.

Attached Files:

9. Kurso macrumors 6502

What they said is no app has access to the fingerprint data or sensor. But I fully expect they will have an API where an app can check if the user has validated against the the FP sensor (without direct access to it).

10. mykaluk macrumors member

Most people would call me an idiot but I couldn't really care about companies having my information (obviously not cold callers and stuff) but Apple, Microsoft, the Government etc. I don't care. At the end of the day, my personal feeling is that these gov's hold alot more information and know alot more about us than we'll ever know anyway.

I'd rather get something in return than nothing.

The picture crushes my hope though, thanks for that. ;)

11. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

I think Apple mentioned that no other software would have access to the fingerprint data or sensor. Touch ID is only being used for unlocking the phone and purchasing from the App Store and iTunes Store.