Any more word of 1.92Ghz PBs?

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
I wonder if the DeyStar "hacks" will be official when Apple officially makes a 1.92Ghz PB :rolleyes:
 

caveman_uk

Guest
Feb 17, 2003
2,390
1
Hitchin, Herts, UK
My understanding is that it's no so much of a 'hack' as swapping the processor in the powerbook. I'm not commenting on Daystar here but I'm sure Apple would have loved to have speedbumped the last powerbook revisions (which I think will be the last PPC powerbooks) - there must have been pretty good reasons why Apple didn't.
 

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
2,383
0
VA
It's cool that Daystar is considering offering this upgrade, but I would be even more impressed if they could put in a better graphics chip along with it.
 

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
895
0
Bay of Fundy
as far as I know it is, but you have to do it through the OpenFirmware I think, and it is really not a good idea. the chances of overheating are very high in such a small, confined area. it is easier to overclock your GPU, there is a utility that allows you to change the clock speed and memory speed in real-time, but again the over-heating dangers, and the reduction of battery life are not really worth it
 

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
1,093
0
kwajo.com said:
as far as I know it is, but you have to do it through the OpenFirmware I think, and it is really not a good idea. the chances of overheating are very high in such a small, confined area. it is easier to overclock your GPU, there is a utility that allows you to change the clock speed and memory speed in real-time, but again the over-heating dangers, and the reduction of battery life are not really worth it
Cool thanks. I've never been a big fan of overclocking in general (did it once on an old box of mine with mixed results) and won't dare experiment with my own laptop.
 

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
392
73
I would think all that trouble going to the intrepid 2 chipset Apple
must have been trying to go 7448, but failed or held up for one reason or
another. The only other benefit of the intrepid 2 is lower power ddr2 memory,
seems a silly waste of resource just for that. Maybe there is one more ppc pb
rev in the works?

My guess is if there are intel ibooks at MWSF, they'll up the powerbooks
to 1.92 GHz to keep them selling until intel pb's. Maybe this is why they
held off putting 7448's in pb's in the first place?

My call for MWSF is intel ibooks and mini's w/90nm pentium-m's (NOT yonah) and
special edition G4 powerbooks @ 1.92GHz with SATA HDD's in black aluminum,
and 12" powerbook getting 7447a @ 1.67 Ghz.
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,720
2,757
Sod off
My guess is that Apple is currently pouring resources into the upcoming Intel Powerbook, and thus has either delayed or cancelled any further PB G4 speedbumps.

Daystar's upgrade may be using a CPU that Apple can't get in quantity, or it may be an overclock (I doubt that).
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,167
2
I don't know about you but I love the warm feeling I get from a combusting 1.92GHz PowerBook on my lap.
It makes me feel all warm and tingly.

well, not so much tingly as on fire.
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,720
2,757
Sod off
katie ta achoo said:
I don't know about you but I love the warm feeling I get from a combusting 1.92GHz PowerBook on my lap.
It makes me feel all warm and tingly.

well, not so much tingly as on fire.
Just be glad you haven't got quite as much of yourself exposed to the burning hazard of the Powerbook as we men do.
 

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
2,395
2
Moorestown, NJ
katie ta achoo said:
I don't know about you but I love the warm feeling I get from a combusting 1.92GHz PowerBook on my lap.
It makes me feel all warm and tingly.

well, not so much tingly as on fire.
by the sound of it though, that heat from the fire would be perfect rather than your wrist warmers ;)
 

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
9,167
2
Lord Blackadder said:
Just be glad you haven't got quite as much of yourself exposed to the burning hazard of the Powerbook as we men do.
and women win again!!

let's see.. that's
women: 2 points
men: 0



but, seriously, does anyone need a slightly faster PB?
SLIGHTLY FASTER!11!@~!!!
*shrug*
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,720
2,757
Sod off
katie ta achoo said:
but, seriously, does anyone need a slightly faster PB?
SLIGHTLY FASTER!11!@~!!!
*shrug*
We'll find out if Daystar sells a lot of upgrades, won't we? ;)

But if the Intel PBs are truly set to arrive in January it will be a short-lived product.
 

revisionA

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
283
0
Lord Blackadder said:
We'll find out if Daystar sells a lot of upgrades, won't we? ;)

But if the Intel PBs are truly set to arrive in January it will be a short-lived product.
Thanks, two cats worth of heat is enough!

I think you;ll find that g5 powerbooks and intel powerbooks are both hard to pin down despite rumors, though one will appear eventually.

$
 

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
1,598
2
Gold Coast, Australia
revisionA said:
Thanks, two cats worth of heat is enough!

I think you;ll find that g5 powerbooks and intel powerbooks are both hard to pin down despite rumors, though one will appear eventually.

$
Also, I expect at least a 7300 or a X700 in the Intel PB.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Lord Blackadder said:
We'll find out if Daystar sells a lot of upgrades, won't we? ;)

But if the Intel PBs are truly set to arrive in January it will be a short-lived product.
I heard Yonah chips are only set to ship on the 1st, doesn't that leave Apple with only days to crank up their assembly line? :confused:
 

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
357
5
generik said:
I heard Yonah chips are only set to ship on the 1st, doesn't that leave Apple with only days to crank up their assembly line? :confused:
Apple has had engineering samples for God knows how long, and I'm sure they have production chips in their hands as we speak. The ship date is just once the chip is made available to the public. Computer manufacturers get these things months in advance.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
MacTruck said:
generik

Not picking on you but I am not getting your sig. Why do you have it and what are you trying to say with it?
Yeah, it is funny. Partly because I didn't know about the lines issue until I read about it, and the more I read about it the more pissed off I got with Apple :eek:
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.