Any need to do a fresh install of OSX for new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diesel, Mar 15, 2015.

1. diesel macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting on my new macbook pro to be delivered but was wondering if others just used their new MacBooks out of the box or if anyone would re-install OS X right from the get go to have a fresh install and not the factory install (i've read some stories online about "bad" factory OS X installs causing problems). I'm wondering if there was any harm in doing a fresh yosemite install for a new machine or if it would be a waste of time. Thanks.

2. Devie macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't.

You can if you want to. Won't take that long.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I wouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet... :)

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

There's no harm to be done by doing it, apart from a pretty big waste of time.

5. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I'm actually not sure if the version of Yosemite you can download has Force Touch drivers in it. Anyone checked?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Don't go looking for problems that aren't there. Use your computer normally. And if a problem should arise, address it then.

It makes no sense, that the factory install of the OS on all machines should be redone before using the computer.

8. msregister macrumors member

with my new rMbp, should I just do a restore from my Timemachine backup (from a 4 year old mba, and previously a 4 year old mb), or should I install all the applications from new and copy the files that I need from my previous computer?

9. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

It's fine to do a restore from a Time Machine backup.

Went through few MacBooks and on each of these machines I restored from Time Machine backup, never had any problems.

10. Rhcpcjg macrumors regular

actually i had to do a clean install of yosemite. While doing the initial setup on a 15' rMBP when asked if i wanted to enable file vault, i got a spinning beachball so i waited for about 20 mins and nothing happened so i restarted and had to do the setup again but wasn't asked about filevault, then i kept getting error messages that i didn't have access to some files... so i decided to erase the drive and do a clean install, everything works fine now. only difference is that you need to download the iwork and ilife apps that come preinstalled.

11. 2IS macrumors 68030

I have not read any of these "stories" I mean, i'm sure they probably exist, but how many have you read? And how many macbooks have been sold? Seems like a silly question. Not just for that reason, but even more so because it's being asked preemptively.

Buy the machine, use it. I'd wager that there is a greater than 99% chance there won't be issues that require reinstall. If you do encounter one of your storied issues that is supposedly fixed by a reinstall, worry about it then.

12. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

...although I've read one report already where someone's TM backup gave them UI lag, and a clean reinstall solved it.

13. Tootall67 macrumors member

Tootall67

My "factory install" is working just fine since summer 2012 :) . If someone could clarify the following, i would appreciate it. The Yosemite copy that u can download from the app store, is it always version 10.10 where after u have to download the update 10.10.2 or does the app store always have the version with the latest update ? The reason i'm asking is because i made a usb boot drive with yosemite 10.10 at the time it first came out, is it worth downloading it again and make a new boot drive every time there is a new update to yosemity?

14. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

15. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

This isn't a Windows computer with 30 "bloat" apps installed. Also, if you don't even sign in to the Mac and register your iWork apps to your MAS account (Pages, Numbers, Keynote and I think Garageband) you lose them as free.