any news of suarik's new app?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmmo20, Aug 13, 2009.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Hey,

A bit over a week ago saurik mentioned that he was working on something to make upgrading a jailbroken iphone easier.

any news on what it is or what progress it's taking? :)

thanks

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

http://www.saurik.com/

Hop on irc and ask him? :)

3. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't want to disturb him :) he sure has loads of work.
    I was just asking because maybe I had missed any news :)

thanks.

4. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

5. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol not really, he says it will take week/s and not just a few hours.

the "check frequently" refers to the few hours.. meaning that since it will take a week or so, we can avoid checking frequently every hour

6. Qanbar macrumors member

Qanbar

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

I been wondering too

been waiting to upgrade 3.0.1 I am just too happy with my currant setup and seen other have glitches. it does say a week not weeks but I have also learned that nobody really means a week when they say a week lol.

Users of 3.0 who are willing to wait for 3.0.1 may wish to wait a while longer. ;P

(saurik is working on something that is going to make the upgrade process a lot simpler for people who are already using jailbroken devices. Note that by "a while" I mean "a week", not "mere hours from now, so check quickly and rapidly" ;P.)

No more details will be given for now.

I did just donate to him and asked about any news if I here anything I will report back. I think we all should donate at least a few bucks to saurik think where we be with out Cydia?

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Or just buy apps through the Cydia Store. He keeps 30%, just like Apple. ;)

9. freething macrumors newbie

It actually says: Note that by "a while" I mean "a week", not "mere hours from now, so check quickly and rapidly"

notice the quotation marks? He's saying not to check quickly and rapidly.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

...what

11. jeepster macrumors newbie

12. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

what does purplera1n have to do with this topic? :)

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Nothing. I don't even think the quote is from Saurik. It's not on his Twitter page. It sounds more like a quote from the kid who wrote purlera1n, which is irrelevant to this thread.

14. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

i think that 3.1 will be out before this patch happens...or will be out shortly after this is out. Which means, people just going to skip it and use 3.1.

If i were Saurik, id hold off till 3.1 comes...or all that work you put into completely the 3.0.1 patch file, will be useless since everyone will be using 3.1

was a great idea though, would be nice if this could be done for 3.1 when it comes out hahaaaa....

not lookin forward to wiping my phone clean. Since i just got it where i want it :)

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I don't think this app of his has anything to do with preserving a JB between OS updates. I think it's just a way to backup your Cydia app data - all of it - so that when you do update and re-jailbreak, you can quickly and easily restore everything. Just my opinion, of course ...

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think you're all got it wrong.
    Its not an app of his or a way to backup files etc... What he said its going to be a patch thru cydia for those of us who dont want to update and rejailbreak for 3.0.1 and instead we can stay with 3.0 and just apply the SMS patch thru cydia.

17. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

that it was i was thinking too, was going to right a app/patch so you can get the SMS fix without starting over.

I believe there are 2 apps that will back up your cydia files...

Pkgbackup and appbackup i believe it is...i have heard mixed comments about it...some say they work for them, others say it doesnt...

honestly with 3.1 coming out soon, its prob better just to wait and see what happens...