Any news of third party thunderbolt displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RoboCop001, Oct 9, 2011.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hey everyone

I've been looking around for news of third party thunderbolt displays, but haven't found any.

Just wondering if anyone else has.

Unless Apple gives us a matte display option I'll be looking to get something along the lines of a display that uses the same or better panel than the one in the Apple Thunderbolt Display. I need one that's matte, colour accurate and witn IPS for a great viewing angle with some ports on the back. Basically the ATD with a matte screen.

2. JayMBP macrumors regular

Unless other manufacturer starts to adopt Thunderbolt, I doubt we would ever see another TB monitor except from Apple.

Basically having a TB monitor=Apple only. And considering that MDP-->DP works fine on MBP, why make an expensive early adoption and limit your potential market?

3. fabrini macrumors newbie

fabrini

Because TB displays = 2 large screen monitors jacked into a MBP.

4. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

And I really like the docking station functionality as well.

I suppose if it came down to it I could get some sort of actual Thunderbolt docking station that has a couple of Thunderbolt ports or at least a mini DisplayPort port on it and just grab a MDP or HDMI monitor. I think I've seen a couple out there.

When I come home it would be awesome to turn my MBP into some kind of super awesome work station :D

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

As Intel is rolling it out in their motherboards and chipsets in 2012, I expect we will see other displays with Thunderbolt, but I am not sure they will be as feature-complete as the Apple Thunderbolt Display (I could see them omitting FireWire and Ethernet, though they would likely have USB 3).

6. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the Thunderbolt roll out next year.

That's good news, I can probably wait until then.

I suppose if they had USB 3 and no FireWire would be fine since USB 3 is faster than FW 800. This LaCie hard disk supports USB 3. I don't mind being without an Ethernet port in it though.

Come on Apple, release a matte screen option please. Please!