Any Nicki Minaj admirers? (New B.o.B music video)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iBreatheApple, Aug 23, 2012.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

There's no music forum, is there? Haha

Anyway, she is in B.o.B's (rap artist for those who don't know) new video and let's just say... :eek::eek::eek:

Check it. (Explicit lyrics, btw.)

2. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I was a fan when she first got big, but now I feel like she can't even perform her own songs well. She went from rap to more mainstream music.

3. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Nicki Minaj is a disgrace to music, and to human kind as a whole.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm not a fan of hers, but posts like these are stupid. You clearly have nothing of value to add to the discussion, so why post stuff that's just going to piss people off?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. theturtle macrumors 6502a

7. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

She's pretty terrible in every 'song' or video she's in... except for "The Creep", but that's only because of guys from Lonely Island.

8. 725032 Guest

I find her constant twitter rants to be offensive

She once accused uk immigration of being racists... She actually meant spain but still spread her hatred anyway.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I don't know any of her music - but I saw this on Ellen and I gained some respect for her. For those who don't want to watch - these 2 little English girls became You Tube famous by singing one of her songs. They came on Ellen to sing the song and she surprised them. The kids' reaction is awesome - as is hers to them. Very cool.

10. Iscariot, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Scientific American recently ran an article about how pop music has objectively gotten worse since 1955. There are studies that demonstrate the negative impact of exposing yourself to certain subsets of media like reality programming or tabloid-quality "news". I'm not suggesting that Nicki Minaj, the Kardashians and Weekly World News are conclusively making us stupid, but it's certainly not painting a picture of an enlightened and educated culture. With America falling dramatically behind the rest of the world in science and math and a reported 10% of adult Americans thinking the sun revolves around the Earth, it might be a good time to start with some better role models.

Also, have you read any of her lyrics? They're ****ing horrible.

"If I had a dick, I would pull it out and piss on 'em"

Sound like the kind of thing to be "admired?"

(Disclaimer: I don't think that Nicki Minaj has any direct responsibility in the appalling state of American education, but I can understand why someone who writes such utterly trashy and moronic music can be considered a disgrace)

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    "Yes sir I am that b1tch
    F^ck U Silly like the rabbit"

12. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Well good on you :rolleyes:

13. boss.king, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Again, I'm not a fan of hers. She had one or two decent songs back before she got big but her recent music is not for me. That said, as bad as you may think her lyrics are, a certain amount of them can be attributed to the rap culture of boasting. Maybe you have no appreciation for rap, but then why even open this thread, its obviously not going to be about something you like. The post I was replying to before was pretty much trolling. He gave no reasoning for his harsh opinion in a thread that never asked for it in the first place. Surely it would have been easier for him to just not post at all.

I get that a lot of people dislike rap and don't consder it to be music, but some people just need to keep their opinions to themselves.
    /rant

14. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

My wife has a real disliking toward her. They both grew up in Jamaica, NY, but Nicki Minaj is pretty racist towards black women who are darker skinned than her or don't chemically straighten their hair.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

Man, with lyrics like that, I don't see why anyone doesn't see her as a true visionary! :roll eyes:

I've never seen anything about her that I like (like the Super Bowl performance), mostly because of crap like the above. Of course, like many others, I'm not a fan of the boasting rap culture, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I'm sure that a lot of people don't like what I listen to, either, so it's all a matter of personal opinion.

16. puma1552 macrumors 601

She's got a bit too much junk in the trunk, but I'd still plow her a time or two *shrug*

Her music is horrible; what would 2pac and Biggie say today in this world filled with no talent ass clowns? Tupac would wipe his ass with Lil' Wayne and all the rest of 'em.

Lonely Island on the other hand, that's pure comedy gold.

EDIT: In the Ellen video, what's with that guy crying at ~50 second mark like a total fruit? Also those little girls are extremely annoying.

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Yup, found this gem on fb:

Attached Files:

18. zipur macrumors 6502

19. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

I'm not really a Minaj fan, although Super Bass and that one she did with David Guetta (Turn Me On) was ok. Her new song (Starships) sounds like an autotuned mess to me.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

21. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

I've heard the name before but never listened to any of her music. Came into this thread hoping for a link to a video or two. But now I'm just disappointed, or relieved that Chris Morris' has created such a brilliant character for our amusement.

22. iBreatheApple, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I've been to her shows and EVERY show she stops and tells her fans to stay in school, no matter what. She talks about it all the time on twitter too, you'll see her re-tweet peoples tweets of pictures of their degrees, or bragging about their grades on finals.

I've had the opportunity to meet her and she is an awesome person. She is respectful and doesn't think she is better than anyone else, contrary to her lyrics. She comes from theater so when she is 'working' she's 'crazy' and goes all out.

To other posters', I am not a huge fan of the new mainstream music but that's what she's always wanted to do, even over the rap so it doesn't really matter what we think. She promises to stay true though, half of her new album is "old Nicki", but none of them have been singles thus far.

Crazy that others think this as I think that she is really good live. When she first started "singing" (David Guetta's Turn Me On) I was shocked at her level of singing ability as we'd previously only heard her rap.

I really would like to defend her more but I know it's hard to believe given her image. Her lyrics are quite explicit, but she's really not like that. Watch some of her appearances on well-known TV shows, she's very kind and down-to-earth, albeit a bit crazy.

FWIW, that was supposed to just be a comeback song to Lil' Kim constantly hating on her, but it was "well received" so they threw it on the radio. It wasn't supposed to be official.