Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
As the title say's... Im no computer expert and am wondering if any of the new mac mini's are capable 4k video editing machine's? Or if I should be looking elsewhere. Would be using various software's for editing. Need a solid, stable machine that will handle the 4k footage editing with stability and not crash! I have much preferred mini's over the years so I can connect a screen of my choice but it seems the new mac mini's aren't all that upgradable anymore :/ Will intel iris GC handle 4k? Also, any restrictions on 4k output from the mac mini's to 4k screens?

Thanks all for your input... :)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
As the title say's... Im no computer expert and am wondering if any of the new mac mini's are capable 4k video editing machine's? Or if I should be looking elsewhere. Would be using various software's for editing. Need a solid, stable machine that will handle the 4k footage editing with stability and not crash! I have much preferred mini's over the years so I can connect a screen of my choice but it seems the new mac mini's aren't all that upgradable anymore :/ Will intel iris GC handle 4k? Also, any restrictions on 4k output from the mac mini's to 4k screens?

Thanks all for your input... :)

It's Base Iris GPU and not the Iris Pro. The only way to connect a 4k monitor (officially) is thru the HDMI port at only 30hz. I do believe some have been able to connect a 4k to the DP ports but only at 50hz (unofficial). Now whether the CPU can do 4k encoding at a reasonable speed is doubtful. I personally wouldn't plan on a basic consumer grade box to handle 4k video (especially without a quad core CPU). These are meant to bring the casual user to MacOS and now meant to replace a workstation (although the 2012s were on the cusp of that ability).

macuser86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
It's Base Iris GPU and not the Iris Pro. The only way to connect a 4k monitor (officially) is thru the HDMI port at only 30hz. I do believe some have been able to connect a 4k to the DP ports but only at 50hz (unofficial). Now whether the CPU can do 4k encoding at a reasonable speed is doubtful. I personally wouldn't plan on a basic consumer grade box to handle 4k video (especially without a quad core CPU). These are meant to bring the casual user to MacOS and now meant to replace a workstation (although the 2012s were on the cusp of that ability).

Thanks for the post paulrbeers. Noted your thoughts on the matter. Maybe just give the mac mini a pass then for 4k video editing. I guess its either an iMac or mac pro if I want to stay with Apple or go PC. I haven't used a PC in close to a decade, really dont want to go back but Apple's pricing, well, you know.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't claim to be an expert, but if you're really interested in doing 4k editing on a Mac, the model you should be looking at right now is the "new" Mac Pro, or possibly a maxed-out retina iMac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.