Any of you guys buy an iPad just for fun?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MusicEnthusiast, Jun 8, 2012.

1. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

This is probably a no-brainer for many of you, although some people bought the iPad for a true mobile computing machine for work, school, etc. I'm wondering if you guys bought one even if you could justify not having one! Technology has gone crazy recently, and in new and highly innovative ways. I'm sure you techies had you interested in the iPad when it came out!

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

You'd be surprised at how many fall into this category. I know I do and I own an iPad 2 and a 3. I also own Android Tablets and will no doubt pickup a Windows 8 Tablet and an iPad 4 if it has nice changes over the iPad 3.

You can never have enough toys. :)

3. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Wouldn't surprise me if a massive percentage of Ipads are just used for the internet. :D

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Oh DEFINITELY for me. I've even gotten used to typing on the keyboard. I just wish it had arrow keys. It slows me down when I have to fix typing errors. Also add free apps. I have yet to pay for a game and I have no intentions of breaking with tradition. :D

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You're right. I have never had a desire to use my iPad as a replacement for any of my laptops. For me it's ideal as a ultra portable web browser.

I use it primarily for web browsing only. I have fewer apps on it than my iPhone.

Nor do I take it out of the house. I have both an 11" & 13" MBA to choose from when I'm out & about. While I've tried a few iPad keyboards, it's just so much of a compromise compared to a good MBA. Yet to be fair, I've used a Mac laptop for so long, nothing else is even close.

6. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Nearly all iPads fall into this category. You're seeing a weird and unusual selection of use scenarios on this forum because it's full of people who are techie and have decided to talk about that.

7. biohead macrumors 6502

I bought a 2nd hand iPad 1 about 8 months ago without any specific reason... but it was one of my best buys!

Quickly decided that it was too slow for severe use, but I could see it's purpose so sold it and bought the 2. Couldn't be happier.

And it's main use? Internet browsing mainly :p

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I bought mine back in May 2010 to replace my laptop that just died. I had an iMac so for me it was to be my mobile, on the go, lounging on the couch device.

I have had a ton of fun with it though!!

9. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I bought mine just for fun. I have had had all 3 because I could. I use my iMac at work and iPhone/MBA at hone

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I picked mine up for fun. :). However, I've actually started loading PDF's on it for a class I'm taking.

11. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Mine was just fun, reading and videos mainly. But after using it I found it to be useful for many things.

One thing I have found very useful is storing pdf documents. I keep instruction manuals for just about everything I own that has a manual. Household appliances, power equipment, tech equipment, software, it is all with me whenever I need it.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

No "real" reason to justify my iPad, nor my wife's nor my daughters. Got them for the fun and convenience of surfing / reading mail / gaming from the comfort of the couch.

13. AmyK macrumors member

I bought mine for fun... and it's still fun!

I'm hoping to use it a little more productively when school starts back up in the fall, it would be nice to not have to take my laptop.

14. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I totally hear you about the arrow keys. I hate not having them.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

check out swipe selection, if your ipad is jailbroken :)

16. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Technically speaking, I have no "real" need/use for an iPad however I just wanted to have one. I'm fine with my iPhone 4/MBP combo as I can do just about anything with both however, the addition of the iPad has given me a lot more portability/usability now. Seems odd that I'd plunk down almost $900 for a nice-to-have but, so far, I'm loving it and couldn't imagine not having one now. I guess I'm more of the mindset of buy something and then you'll find a use for it. So far, that's held up to be quite true :D

17. jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

I bought it for fun, I can sit in the living room, watch TV and play on my iPad at the same time. I do have work related apps installed such as Citrix, VPN, Cisco stuff since I work for a company that provides hosting and support but rarely use it, I have a hard time navigating server screens and it's easier to get up and go to my laptop.

18. barachus macrumors regular

i bought it for fun, but you have just given me a great new use for it, thanks :D

19. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

Also purely for fun. I have a mini that I use for any semi-serious home computing and an iPhone that gives me connectivity outside the home. The iPad (wifi only) has been game and web-browsing toy that I carry around the house.

I'll be taking it on vacation in two weeks to watch some movies while traveling and staying somewhat in touch from the hotel room.

Even without using it for productive purposes, I still think that it's totally cost-justified. Rationalizing?..., perhaps.

20. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I bought mine for fun and for short trips where I won't need a laptop.

21. rexboe macrumors regular

rexboe

I have the ipad for fun didnt need it but really like it.

22. chokem macrumors 6502

Count me in. I bought it to browse, games and as a nice folio for my pictures. Screen's amazing.

23. sko580 macrumors newbie

I got my iPad (3rd gen) after coming from Android. My daily tools is the Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Xoom, and the MacBook Pro. I got the iPad after attending a class at work and we were discussing technologies being used in our field of work. One of the instructors was speaking highly of iOS that I decided to get one to figure what the hype was.

I have to admit, the screen and the slim design is awesome (especially coming from the Motorola Xoom). I am trying to use this on a daily basis and so far I miss some of the workflow that I was use to with Android, specially the file/folder system. I also miss being able to plug the device onto a computer and show up as an external device where I can drag and drop files on the fly. Someone before mentioned it before, but arrow keys would be nice. Editing text was a bit painful.

Nonetheless, I have used it to read technical manuals, write notes with the stylus, and draw on photos for planning purposes. For personal or recreational purposes, I am enjoying the device for emails, Netflix, and Internet browsing (a lot). I really can't say I am going keep it or not. I am going to give it another 2 weeks. The one thing I enjoy and found convenient is the built in Verizon LTE connection.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I would say about 80-90% of the time I spend on my iPad is on fun activities, and that I would have bought the iPad just for that alone. However, the 10-20% where I do use my iPad for work-related stuff makes quite a significant difference in my daily routine. I now can get meaningful work done during my commute time, and when I need to get in touch with clients and colleagues overseas, I don't get stuck in the office waiting for them to come to work, I can take my iPad with me and communicate with them from wherever I happen to be. Plus, even the fun activities are often enhanced in such a way that it feels inadequate to call them "just" for fun. After years of not really reading any books, now I read about 2-3 books a month. Being able to look up facts on Wikipedia anytime something strikes my curiousity is also "for fun," but the amount of extra information and enjoyment I get from that is more than "just" fun. So basically, there's nothing "just" about the iPad. It's just insanely great, whether I'm using it for fun or for work.

25. Limecraft macrumors newbie

Yes and no

I convinced myself that i needed it:D despite the fact that i don't. However, it is in fact very useful during summertime (boat trips etc.) but it is mostly used for fun/web browsing.