Any of you guys purchase an extended warranty?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Nov 5, 2011.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We got the Apple care plus on my wife's iphone4s, and that covers accidental damage.

In reading various web sites I see there have been folks who have apparently dropped their ipad's with resulting damage.

Have any of you guys purchased a good protection plan? and would it be worth it, VS having apple repair/replace it? ( not sure what apple's repair costs are)

Thank you

2. Sandman1969, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I bought our two at Best Buy and I just added their 2 year Warranty which covers accidental drops.

I wasn't going to get it. Mainly since i Have replaced screens on a couple iPhones and an iPod lately.

Then I saw the procedures for the iPad 2. Much more involved than the iPad 1. You have to heat up the screen to loosen the adhesive. I don't really want to fool with that. The first one was much easier, just slowly pry the screen away from the shell.

Both of our young children use the iPads as well. And we have hardwood floors, so I went ahead and bought the insurance for peace of mind. Now I am not as worried about them using em.

Though, now I am thinking I should have looked at SquareTrade since it is much easier. But something comforting about driving to the store right down the road and getting a replacement.

Speaking of that, anyone use SquareTrade, and anyone had an iPad replaced from breakage/spill? How was the process?

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't have anything, but I have no kids, take very good care of it, and have a case on the back+(not so useful) smart cover on the front. I plan to sell this in a few months. I might get something for the iPad 3, which I plan to purchase as soon as it comes out.

4. tgcken, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

tgcken macrumors member

I bought mine used on craigslist and it had a 2 year applecare, no accidental damage.

I cycle through a lot of tech devices (buy and sell as MC/MB dictates), if I ever were to buy one new I am under the impression that I'm better off taking the risk of it being a dud after a year (of course accidental damage is a different story).

A counter point, however, would be the iphone4 I bought on craigslist. There were only a few weeks left on the warranty at the time and I didn't think much of it. Now I'm having pretty significant home button troubles and by the time I got it to apple I was 55 days out of warranty (3 hours away from my house), to which the genius suggested I just rub some alcohol on it.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

FYI, AppleCare for iPads are only 2 years, so I'm presuming you mean it has a 3 year warranty from someone else vs AppleCare?

6. matelot macrumors regular

Is it available online ?

7. Kbird197 macrumors newbie

I got a 2year warranty with my iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago when I bought it, it covers accidental damage for only £65 for those 2yrs

8. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

The procedures? Or the Screen Part?

Either way yes...

Procedures are here :

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPad_2_Wi-Fi#deviceGuides

The screen and other parts :
    https://www.etechparts.com/

I used etechparts for 3 screens as did a friend, and a guy here that told me about them. Fast service and good prices.

Apple definitely made iPad2 work much more difficult!

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I haven't and don't intend to buy any damage protection. I'll probably buy Applecare for warranty coverage before my year is up but that's it. I keep it in a good case and really don't go out and about with it much. Just around the house and work where it stays in the car.

10. 15danielp macrumors regular

I got the Squaretrade warrentyfor my iPad 2. Two years of accidental insedent coverage. I was an idiot and dropped my iPad 1 in a hot tub. So the piece of mind is worth it for me. Normally I'm not an insurance kind of guy.