Any of you guys shave your own head?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dmr727, Aug 7, 2008.

1. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My hair is thinning rapidly as I get older, and as such I get it cut shorter and shorter. It's to the point now where I walk into a Supercuts (or wherever) and ask for a '1' all the way around.

I was talking to a buddy at work today, and he says I'm nuts to be paying someone to do what should be easy to do on my own. I don't really mind the money or time I spend to get my hair cut, but he's probably right.

Do any of you cut your own hair? Any clipper recommendations? Tips? I'm kind of freaked out about doing this, but it does seem ridiculous to essentially be spending $30 a month on what I could be doing myself.

2. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I have done it, for a perfect shave you're going to need to start with 2 mirrors so you can see both sides of your head. As far as shavers go pick something from a big name and you should be fine.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I shave my girlfriends head before we go out clubbing so her undercut is all neat, lots of bleeding happens if she tries to do it herself but she has a fair few moles that're easy to catch so you may not have the same trouble.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you are just sticking with a simple #1 all the way around, a decent set of clippers shouldn't be a problem.

If you have a bunch of hair and have to do multiple blends and trim the back and, around the ears, it isn't as easy unless you got a bit more flexibility or someone helping.

5. iGav macrumors G3

Yup, for years now.

I have a Scherna with ceramic blades.

You want ceramic blades.

It's the easiest thing in the world, and you don't need mirrors because you're doing it one length all the way over... 10 minute jobs tops.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

i cut my own hair with clippers as well (tho i use a #2, not a #1 - i like to see some hair on my head)

couple of tricks:

- do it in the shower before you take a shower. all the hair will fall into the tub or stall, you can gather it up easily and flush it down the toilet (it will clog up a shower drain quickly) rather than getting hair all over the bathroom

-make passes in all directions. not just front to back, go all over in different directions

- keep a hand mirror and a roll of blue painter's tape handy. why? when you are done cutting your hair, take a 18" length of painter's tape and run it along your back hairline at your neck around to the front of your head and let the ends hit at about the bottoms of your ears. this makes an easy guide to trim up your neckline; i use one hand to hold the painters tape against my head and the other guides the trimmer with no guard on it to trim off all the neckline hair and make a neat, straight trim. use the hand mirror and a wall mirror to check the hairline before you pull the tape off to make sure you did not miss anything.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I recently switched from my 5 year old steel clippers* to new ceramic clippers and I can whole heartly agree. Ceramic is so much better.

*I bought those clippers for £30 and got 5 years worth of use out of them with an average cut once every 4 weeks which is 65 haircuts at the very cheap price of my local hairdress of £3 I made a saving of £165 :cool:

It is very easy and the payback time is very short so it really is a no brainer.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, since I was 26. I'm 41 now. I just use regular Gillette disposables. I do it twice a week. I shave down to the skin though.

9. nplima macrumors 6502a

is there a proper technique for that you would recommend?

10. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

This is some good advice.

I shave with a 1/4" (is that #1?) guide every couple of weeks during spring through fall and let it grow out over the winter. A couple trims here and there and I am good.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've been doing it for a few years, although I'm starting to grow my hair out.

If you want a simple, methodical, sure-fire way to do it well, go from back-to-front or front-to-back (back = from the neck), and then do it again going from left-to-right or right-to-left. You're essentially cutting your hair in a grid, and the chances of missing a spot is quite small.

If you just shave in random directions, your chances of missing a spot increases, and it'll take more time. ;)

I do the same thing, except I let my hair run down the drain. I cut it every 7-10 days, so my hairs are always short. They shouldn't clog up a drain.

But the first time you do it, make sure you pick up the hair and throw it into a bin. Those WILL clog up the pipes.

12. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i have a full head of hair and i just bic'ed it with a razor...

was getting a bit shaggy!

now i look like Mr Clean with a goatee. :D

13. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

48.6 years old, full head of hair and full beard, and I plan on keeping it that way. ;)

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not shaving, per say, but buzzing, yes.

Every 2 weeks I take it down to virtually nothing.

Sort of sympathy for Chemo patients I transport, and my love of the wind in my stubble.

:p

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I use a #3, and get my wife to shave my neck with no guard. Cut it about once a month. Been doing it for about three years. Looks good, feels good. I would never pay someone to have this done, 'cause a pair of clippers is super cheap and last years.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Right on.

My Philips clippers, cost $20, have saved me untold dollars is hair cuts over 3 years.

Damn, I am cheap.

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Say it for the baldies. I use a rechargeable shaver and do it myself in the shower. I just go over and over, rarely missing anywhere, and the wife/children check it. I use the shaver with no guard. You're right - paying someone to do it is ridiculous.

18. dmr727 thread starter macrumors G3

dmr727

Thanks all for the tips! I'll be off today to purchase a clipper with ceramic blades. :)

19. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

even thought i have one of those "cut throat" blades, I have never used it.. too scared!! lol..

i've been shaving my head with clippers for about 12 years now.. (since a very early age may i add... i'm not THAT old :p).. grade 0 - ie, without any attachment..

every 2-3 days...

some of my friends use mach3 on their heads, but i couldn't even think about trying that.. i mean.. what if i cut myself? ;)

clippers all the way mate. save yourself $$ on combs/brushes/gels/wax/mousse/hairdressers... and spend it all on beer ;)

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Plus, a blade means shaving cream, usually.

Another needless expense.

I might go for the cordless in the shower thing in the future though. Thanks for the idea.

As for the hair, I put a plug in the sink, and buzz away.

When finished I gather most of it up and toss it into the toilet. Just rinse the residue after that. No clogs.

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

BBC for 10 years now, Norelco rotary daily, razor in the shower once a week (Saturday or Sunday nights before a trip).

Never razor against the grain. With or oblique to the grain only. Your scalp will thank you.

If only someone made a depilatory for the head, I'd be all over that.