Any of you have a Uconnect car system with your iphones/IOS devices?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I was planning on getting a 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit or a 2016 Challenger Scat Pac, but according to Uconnect's latest press release they still will not offer Car Play on there 2016 8.4 Software on the Uconnect systems, only "Siri Eyes Free" This is very disappointing and i would have put money on it that they would have included Car Play with this next version of the Uconnect Software.

Anyway...I am fully aware that FCA"s Uconnect is probably the best built in car stereo/entertainment system out there, but how does it interact with iOS devices? Does it have iPod functionality? Does it have to be done through bluetooth? Stuff like that i am curious about..

Any experiences appreciated.

Thanks

2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

So this is NOT answering your question and I apologize for that but did want to throw this in...I just installed the Pioneer CarPlay system in my car (NEX4000) and I get all the functionality currently available. Plus it works great with the backup camera and bluetooth. One option *could* be to save a little money, get a base model car, and then 3rd party install a system like the NEX. That gives you more functionality that what the OEM offers.

Again, maybe you have thought of this so feel free to ignore this comment.

3. Shockwave78 thread starter macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Thanks, I have actually been using pioneer radios for years and actually upgrade every two years to the latest model. The latest NEX81000 I was about to upgrade to but then decided it was time to trade my truck I. For something else.

I would still say the Uconnect system without CarPlay still is much better that the NEX8000/8100 series.

For one the screen is much larger on the connect systems and no glare, NEX8100 is like looking in a mirror in daylight.

Secondly, on most of these new cars with infotainment systems you cannot put a aftermarket radio in anyways. They come standard now and are tied into the vehicles PCM and are actually required for the car to function correctly! I don't agree with that at all but it is the way the industry went.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, Check out AVIC411 for your pioneer radio tweaks and hacks ;) great stuff on that site, been going there for years here

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

LOL - you sure have waaay more experience with Pioneer. I am just so happy to be able to use Carplay. Thanks for the heads up on AVIC411 and good luck with the new truck.