Any of you just keeping your iPhone until it dies?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phonefanman, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Phonefanman Suspended

It's amazing an iPhone will run 3 times longer than its upgrade cycle.

People trade in their old iPhone it gets shipped off to some 3rd world country to be sold and used for years.

You fork over $600 to $900 for the latest greatest iPhone to have a better camera, little faster processor, etc etc. But for day to day use you realize wow my old iPhone does everything I need and still has lots of life left in it.

You think they will ever design a phone that shuts down after so many years? Just to force you into upgrade. Or does apple design the phones to last way longer so they can resell them to the less fortunate somewhere else in the world?

I say we be the less fortunate ones and run that puppy until it stops working. This will push apple into making a phone you won't want to live without. Instead of these iPhone 6 owners upgrading to the iPhone 6s on release day.

I didn't see the point in upgrading me likes my iPhone 6... iPhone 7 me will want though...i like skipping a generation or two...economical and gives you a serious upgrade when it happens and plus you get a lot of mileage out of your phone this way...

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I still use my 5S. Wi-Fi reliability is rubbish, cellular signal & 3G is abysmal, and battery life has completely gone down the pan. Unfortunately my hand is forced into getting a replacement, so I'll wait for the iP7 to come out and probably get a 6S on the cheap.

I hate buying new stuff, and much rather run stuff into the ground before upgrading. I only replaced my iPhone 4 because it was unusable on iOS 7.

Conversely, there's nothing wrong with people buying the newest model every year. It's their money, and they're entitled to spend it how they want to.

TL;DR: each to their own.

3. Phonefanman thread starter Suspended

I know people can spend their money how they want. I'm just saying it's amazing how long an iPhone will last compared to how often people upgrade. Just wondering if these phones are designed to last for so long.

I know it depends on the user, how often you use your phone, what you use the phone for and all of that. An iPhone would last my grandma 8 years the way she uses it.

Me on the other hand I use the hell out of this thing. Make videos text them to many friends on regular bases. Phone gets used nonstop at work. Texting, calling, internet searching, apps etc etc.. This thing takes a beating.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2016 ---
    I know people can spend their money how they want. I'm just saying it's amazing how long an iPhone will last compared to how often people upgrade. Just wondering if these phones are designed to last for so long.

I know it depends on the user, how often you use your phone, what you use the phone for and all of that. An iPhone would last my grandma 8 years the way she uses it.

Me on the other hand I use the hell out of this thing. Make videos text them to many friends on regular bases. Phone gets used nonstop at work. Texting, calling, internet searching, apps etc etc.. This thing takes a beating

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Ideally, an iPhone would be discarded only until battery is dead and/or key components are totally unusable.

However, Apple recently only focuses on producing "disposable" iPhone. So devices on user hand may eventually become not useable just after one or two years. Then, user would be forced to buy new device after then.

I have an iPhone 4 at hand, iOS 7.1.2. It is still useable although it is also very slow, due to iOS 7. This iPhone is 3 years old and apart from degrading battery, nothing is wrong so.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You sound preachy and dogmatic.

That aside, an argument could be made that folks who upgrade every year make more of an impact than you or I, since we'll we upgrading not matter what (b/c the latest iPhone will always trump a 3 or 4 year old model and, as you said, our phones have died).

Those who choose to shell out $700-$1000 annually should be the most difficult to please since they have phones which are still viable. Therefore, they should insist more on major updates and enhancements and vote with their (or their parents') dollars.

7. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

When I was younger I used to think like you, I want my purchases to last forever. As I got older, I realized that money is less valuable than experiencing new technology and enjoying it.

I missed on a lot of technology and trends because I refused to upgrade or buy items for their retail price until they got phased out (like the iPod).

I will not upgrade on novelty items like speed "bumps" and force touch.

8. Skika macrumors 68030

When it dies you have to buy a whole new phone, cant sell the old one. Or you can sell smart and put a little extra for the new one every year or two. At the end you arent saving money

9. I7guy macrumors G5

My iphone 4 is six years old and runs fine; although it's used as an iPod.

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Utter nonsense from start to finish. And the iPhone 4 is six years old, get your facts straight.

11. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

There's not that much difference money-wise between using your phone for one or two years and selling it, or using it until it dies and has almost no value anymore. It's almost the same amount of $ per year.

If that holds true for you it's just a matter of either being sentimental about it or wanting the newest features.

12. nnoble macrumors regular

13. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Alright. I admit the entire comment starts and ends from nowhere. However, did I mention this iPhone bought from day 1? I didn't mention even a bit about this right? So where is your proof to claim my comment is wrong in this point?

14. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

My iPhone 4 only has 16GB storage. I can barely store a lot of songs, lossless. So i just lock it in a drawer.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

I do t know what "a lot" is. 16 Gb is more songs in mp3 format than I can listen to in a year. I don't load lossless songs on my Idevices.

16. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

Well I have to use my iphone 4 at the moment as a back up phone, for the time being (just for a week or two) it's a bit slow but yes thankfully it still works as it does). Wacked my sim in it changed my apple ID and restored most of the stuff from backup (32 gig phone)

It is amazing how lastable these can be especially when you need it when unexpected something happens like in my case :p

17. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Different preference then. I admit I barely distinguish the difference between lossless and iTunes Store format, apart from volume.
    Anyway. This is another story.

18. Casfin macrumors regular

Still using my release day iphone 5. Battery was replaced so it's 'ok', lightning port a little fussy when charging, but it gets me where I need to go.

Getting a new Note 7 this fall. Giving the iphone to my daughter.

19. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I always tell myself that I'm going to keep my phone for a couple of years, but then I always give in :( I've owned every single iPhone except the 4S..... sorry I'm weak when a shiny new toy is available :p

20. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Same here ;)

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This pretty much describes me. I start out planning on this exactly. Then after a year, new devices look tempting, I realize I can get $$$ for my old device (that won't exist if I keep it another year), and ... I'll upgrade. I've done better than my past tho, kept phones for 1.5 years the last 2 phones I've had. Seriously going to try for 2+ years with my iPhone 6s+ (but like the biblical saying, spirit is willing but flesh is weak). :)

22. I7guy macrumors G5

This is terrible...my original plan was to buy the 7s; but can't hold out...must get iPhone 7.

23. makinao macrumors regular

My 2012 carrier-locked iPhone 4s is running 9.3.2, slow but tolerable. Battery life has always been limited, and it needs a power bank to get through the day when cellular data is on. 3g gets slow when other devices are tethered to it. The 16gb is always full, and I have to be frugal with its contents. But it is very reliable, and have it set up exactly how I want it.

I finally decided to upgrade to an SE yesterday when I got a generous bonus at work, I yearned for LTE, and the 4s was left off the iOS 10 list. But I'm keeping my 4s as a backup until all my contacts start communicating with me on my new number (I had to get a new sim because my late 1990s mini-sim cut down to micro-sim could not be cut down to nano-size anymore).

24. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

My wife also went from a sluggish but reliable 4(S) to an SE and has been very pleased. I was pleased that we got the 64GB version for only $50.

25. 2457248, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

2457248 Suspended

i bought a second hand ip5 in oct-14, i'm a light user: maps, messaging, safari, some social apps, mail, sport tracking, music. i don't like 3d games on mobile phone, if i occasionally download a game, is arcade/2d stuff, so i'm not fond of graphics. i don't even use LTE, i have it in 3g, which is already fast enough for loading websites.
    the only thing lacking is a better camera, also a bigger screen could be more practical.
    battery health is over 90% after 800 cycles (coconutbattery), it's amazing how well it holds over time.
    for the 300€ i paid for is, it's serving me well. i intend on keeping it until it lasts (previously i had a 3gs, that aged quicker). i will consider wisely whether updating to ios10 or not, i fear it might get slower with the renewed GUI.

I don't NEED all the new stuff, they're cool, they're maybe convenient, but the price for a new top smartphone is just too high.
    After all, i'd be doing the exact same things also with a newer phone.

edit: 16gb storage are always full, i could use some more, but more would just delay the periodical cleanups.
    when photos occupy too much space i delete everything and start back from zero (i sync with dropbox and move to my pc so i don't lose anything).
    i keep normally 4-5gb of music, which is what i listen more frequently plus new releases, no need for more, if i need to listen to a song at any cost, i stream it.