Any of you posters Engineers? Wanna throw a soon-to-graduate a bone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Essenar, May 8, 2014.

1. Essenar macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
    I'm in my senior year as an engineer and I'm about to graduate this June. I'll be done done in late July though (Stupid general education class I forgot about). I'm currently throwing out job applications in double digits just trying to get whatever I can.

I do my best to make each application "personal" to the job because I know recycled cover letters and generic qualifications is a good way to get dismissed. I know all about "cooking" my resume to match each position but it's a tiring and lengthy process. I'd really like to at least have a solid offer for something before June so I can at least KNOW I'll have something.

My brother in law graduated from the California POST (police officer training) last May and he still hasn't found a job. I know times are hard but I didn't go to school for something that has trouble finding a job (the BA degrees, art, etc).

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you engineers have maybe a word you can throw in with a paid internship or maybe some leads you can throw my way. I'm Environmental Engineering in a program that tends to focus on mechanics versus structural/civil. I did take statics and mechanics but not to the extent a civil engineer does. I'm familiar and experienced with AutoCAD, MATLAB, Inventor, SolidWorks, Pro-E, Python and pretty solid at Excel (Numerical analysis, standard deviations, functions, plots). Ideally I'd like to lean toward the sustainable civil/structural development route in a drafting capacity but I can also work with FEMAP.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just figured maybe there's an engineer here who knows of something, thanks!

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I'm an engineer, in software.

Reading your post, my thoughts were:
    1. Took way too long to get to "I'm Environmental Engineering".
    2. Your current location is...?
    3. Can you relocate or not?

I mention these not because I have an open position, or even know of one, but because anyone who does will want to know those, at minimum.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I was in your shoes not too long ago...my focus was automotive and I applied to hundreds of positions at different companies (literally, I'm still getting rejection letters :rolleyes: ). I finally landed a job w/ a great company roughly 2 months after graduation. My advise, persevere and don't let the stress get to you. Job searching is literally a job within itself!

Out of curiosity, have you taken the FE? Not that its mandatory, but that kind of stuff can also look good on a resume...coming right out of school is the best time to take it too.

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Good idea.

I am an engineer myself. I also run my own business now.

Well, you need to personalize it to each position. Sorry, but most companies, large and small don't even look at generic applications.

Not only that, just drilling out applications wont get you anywhere.

Also look at small local companies, and actually just go down there to the office or their location.

That speaks volumes.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not to waste the money you spent on college but you might have to bite the bullet and take a meaningless job for a while. Don't expect to just find that perfect job out of the gate. This is not to say your education is a waste, but will you sit on the couch for 6 months waiting for something or actually earn a paycheck in the meantime.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Send a resume to Apple. I hear they are big on environmental engineering.

7. Essenar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm studying for the EIT right now, I'm pretty confident I'll get it, mostly because all my friends who graduated before me that took it recently passed it and I've actually studied more of the EIT: Environmental specialty questions than they have. Our program doesn't require environmental chemistry, water treatment, solid waste treatment and the EIT for Environmental has those questions. I'm pretty solid at thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer and I heard the questions don't get too in depth.

In terms of relocation: I am absolutely willing to relocate to major metro hubs. I'd be willing to move to SF or bay area in California, Seattle, Portland, Pittsburgh (Maybe not Philly), definitely New York, Toronto or even Boston. I know it'd be easy to land a job out in the country or in Indiana or something. A few of my friends have rushed into those offers but they look very defeated about leaving California.

I understand what you're saying MacNut but it's not a question of there not being jobs that I can perform, it's a question of having experience. And taking a "meaningless job" will not give me the experience I need to stay in my field. That'd be the equivalent of being an MD that hasn't done residency yet who gives up on being a doctor after he already graduated.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll keep making each cover letter personal and going for personal touches on every job.

8. Dontazemebro, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I have a computer science degree but I haven't been working in my craft in ages. You say you're an environmental engineer. If you you don't mind relocating and willing to work long hours, at least 5am to 9pm maybe weekends, maybe not. Sometimes 12 hr shifts for 2 weeks straight then 7 days off. And or 24 hrs nonstop (these happen rarely) ........ Then there are plenty of employment opportunities in the Oilfield. I'm an engineer at a hydraulic fracturing company (one of the many Oilfield service companies) . Mostly on site correspondence with the company man and data collection. A lot of it is OJT so no specific training is really necessary.

All said & done, it's really long hrs, and can take you away from your family for weeks. Though the payoff is good. Starting salary is no less than a hundred thousand a year. But where you hit em is the bonuses. It can easily match your yearly salary.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

That has been known to work out.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I didn't say give up, I said find something in the mean time. You might not find a engineering job for a year. What will you do in the meantime?

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989