Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
(note to moderators: this is about the Apple band swap program, not an attempt to swap bands with other members here)

I'm thinking of swapping my ML for a Modern Buckle band. I like the ML, but it's really shiny and the smooth area at the end scratches easily.

I know the Modern Buckle bands aren't shipping with watches yet, so I wondered if any of you had tried to set up a swap for one.

It seems like we cannot swap for bands that cost less, just ones for same or greater value. Can anyone confirm this that has tried it?

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Enquired about how it works on day one but no one at Apple had any idea really.

skar316

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
I was able to get it done earlier this week. Went to the store and they didn't know anything about it. Started an online chat who after a lot of waiting determined that being that they are on the technical side of things needed to initiate a phone call with the watch sales department. I was then transferred to three different people where I finally ended up with someone who completed it for me. I am swapping the classic buckle for the milanese loop 42mm. The loop shows June delivery date and is still processing. I was told to just leave the email for the return label alone until I receive the milanese loop and then I can send the classic buckle back.

jeek

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Last week I asked to swap out my classic buckle for the SS link. I should have it sometime this month, probably in 2 weeks if I had to guess, but the order is still processing. It was easy, took about 5 minutes.

Basically how it works is that Apple will ship out the new band and charge you for it, as if you bought the band. The package will come with return packaging that you place the old band into. Once Apple receives the old band, they credit you the retail price of the band so that you end up paying the difference of the two bands. I'd imagine if you swapped a similar priced band for another one you would just be refunded.

Aaplfanboy

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
What if I wanted to trade my modern buckel for the less expensive leather loop? I wonder If they will refund me the full price of the MB or do an even trade.

watchwatcher

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
Swap

Phoned in and put through an order to swap out my band for another at the same price point. Received an email with shipping label info on the same day. Later cancelled the swap when it seems I initially misunderstood and that Apple needed the old band shipped back within 14 days of receipt of the shipping label and that I was looking at 4+ weeks before the new strap would be shipped. Not ideal to have a strapless watch for 2+ weeks. Had a rep be specific to me that the swap of the old band would have to be within 14 days and that there wasn't any flexibility with that to account for delayed shipment of the new band. Seemed strange that they wouldn't extend the return window to account for supply issues and am now reading in this thread that they might be extending it for some people?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Phoned in and put through an order to swap out my band for another at the same price point. Received an email with shipping label info on the same day. Later cancelled the swap when it seems I initially misunderstood and that Apple needed the old band shipped back within 14 days of receipt of the shipping label and that I was looking at 4+ weeks before the new strap would be shipped. Not ideal to have a strapless watch for 2+ weeks. Had a rep be specific to me that the swap of the old band would have to be within 14 days and that there wasn't any flexibility with that to account for delayed shipment of the new band. Seemed strange that they wouldn't extend the return window to account for supply issues and am now reading in this thread that they might be extending it for some people?

That is so weird. Why would they expect you to return the band you have before the new band comes?

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
That is so weird. Why would they expect you to return the band you have before the new band comes?

Ive got a swap booked with them. Originally they wanted my band back in 14 days. I said they couldnt have it until I had my replacement.

They agreed and said i should give the old band to the courier at the same time they deliver the new one - old for new.

No idea when that will happen.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Ive got a swap booked with them. Originally they wanted my band back in 14 days. I said they couldnt have it until I had my replacement.

They agreed and said i should give the old band to the courier at the same time they deliver the new one - old for new.

No idea when that will happen.

Yeah. That's exactly what I would've told them.

Which band are you swapping for?

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
What if I wanted to trade my modern buckel for the less expensive leather loop? I wonder If they will refund me the full price of the MB or do an even trade.

Considering that those bands are not interchangeable I doubt they would allow it. The Modern Buckle is 38mm only, while the Leather Loop is 42mm only.

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Yeah. That's exactly what I would've told them.

Which band are you swapping for?

Milanese for Traditional Buckle - I've got hairy arms and its like being waxed !
That said, it seems to have got better since I arranged the swap, so Im considering just keeping the Traditional Buckle as well - cashflow permitting.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Milanese for Traditional Buckle - I've got hairy arms and its like being waxed !
That said, it seems to have got better since I arranged the swap, so Im considering just keeping the Traditional Buckle as well - cashflow permitting.

My son has a Classic Buckle watch coming today for his birthday present. I didn't really pay much attention to them in the store when I tried on watches. I'm not even sure if I tried one on.

I will have to check his out today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.