Any of you with an Ipad Air 2 and an Iphone 6? Do the 2 gb of RAM make a difference?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chad.petree, Jan 21, 2015.

1. chad.petree macrumors 6502

chad.petree

The way my iphone 6 reloads the apps and the safari tabs is crazy, it's so unreliable, it keeps sending me back to the main screen of the app I was using too, very anoying specially when you are filling formularies, I know the iphone 6 has 1 gb of RAM and the ipad air 2 has 2 gb of ram, I'm really curious to know, do the 2 gb of RAM solve this reloading issue or it has nothing to do with RAM and it's just the way IOS8 works? :confused:

2. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

2GB RAM does NOT fix the tab reloading issue completely. But reduces it by 80% on Air 2.

It may have something to do with the way iOS is designed. Even Safari needs heavy memory optimisations.

3. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

In Safari, maybe a little. Otherwise, I don't really notice a 'deficit' like everyone's saying on my 6 Plus.

4. Watermann macrumors member

Yes, safari with ios8 creates one process by tab, like desktop browsers, but complely useless and counterproductive

I can't imagine how they dared to release ios8 for a5 devices, even with a7+ safari is a little sluggish

5. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I'm not sure you're right to make that statement. There are massive stability implications behind separating tabs into different processes.

6. Watermann macrumors member

Maybe, but only if you are plenty of resources, mobile devices are not pcs

7. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Separating into separate processes does not necessarily increase resource use. More small processes is better than one large one.

8. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

I have the iPhone 6+ and when I have 1 tab open in safari and switch to private mode and open up 1 tab there too. And when I exit private mode that tab reloads -__- and when I go back to private mode the same tab reload again. And vice versa. Annoying

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The whole tab reloading thing is a joke. My 6+ reloads apps too, which is intensely irritating when searching on Amazon and Ebay. Pop out of the app to cross-ref a product in Safari, then come back to the app and it reloads. Then you have to type all the search criteria again and start from the beginning. The iPhone 5 was nowhere near this bad, and the iPhone 4 was better. So those who say it has always been like this are talking BS. Sure tabs and apps have reloaded, but nowhere near as readily as they do on my 6+. I swear nobody at Cupertino actually uses their iPhones for anything much at all! These limitations can be discovered by casual users, let alone 'power users'.

10. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Tabs do reload quite often on my iPad mini 2 but in my opinion it is way better since iOS 8... I just opened 2 tabs in normal browsing, scrolled around on them each, switched to private browsing and opened *3* tabs. Scrolled around a bit on those, switched between them, looked back at tabs in the normal browsing, and not a single tab reloaded. However, after I finished typing this I switched to my other tab in normal browsing and it was fine, but in private browsing 2 out of the 3 tabs reloaded. Strange.