Any one else notice how slow Safari is on Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by echo44, Jul 26, 2012.

1. echo44 macrumors 6502

Upgarded all my macs last night and it seems Safari is much slower
    to load pages than before? Compared to canary chrome it seems at least 3x slower?

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Safari is ridiculously quick on my 2010 iMac i3. I have a 50mb connection but its faster than it was in Lion. (even though it was no slouch)

3. echo44 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am running it on a 2.7/16GB MBP retina with a
    high speed connection and it crawls compared to canary?
    Much slower than before the upgrade?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I upgraded to 6.0 on Lion (haven't moved to ML yet)
    And it is noticeably quicker for me

5. akdj, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I've noticed incredibly quick response in Safari since ML upgrade. I've done each...Leopard to SL to Lion, and updated a half dozen Macs yesterday (2-2011 iMacs, 1-2010 iMac, 2-2011 Airs and a single 2010 Air) to Mountain Lion. All have exhibited as quick or quicker Safari performance.

Chrome is quick as well. I'm very happy across the board so far...especially noticed improvement (off thread) in iTunes and large libraries.

What types of Macs did you update? Age and configuration? Were they older?

J

6. Pardus macrumors member

Pardus

super slow

my safari hangs on page loads constantly. sometimes fast sometimes not. My other browsers have no problems since upgrading. I have a 2010 mac pro with 32gb of ram... should be able to handle a web sites.

7. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I have no idea what you guys did to your machines. Safari in Mountain Lion is ridiculously faster than it was before. Like, it's not even comparable. It's so much better.

8. zzLZHzz macrumors 6502

tried it on my iMac just now. i would say it is faster than before but i would still stick to chrome for now.

9. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Is it possible the optimization in Safari was due to the 'newer' core 'i' series processors (with on board GPUs)?

Just curious...one Mac I haven't upgraded yet is my Mac Pro (still using Snow Leopard in fact) from 2009, Nahalem (sp?) I think processor.

Curious why the power of your Mac Pro Pardus isn't seeing the increased performance I am on significantly less powerful machines from 2011. One of mine--my daily driver, a late 2011 17" MBP 2.5/16GB RAM, I just updated. Literally finished an hour ago...it's Flat FLYIN'!!!

Just curious as to why some are seeing this and some EXACTLY the opposite.

J

10. zzLZHzz macrumors 6502

that might be possible. i will know when i upgrade to ML on my C2D MBP. an aging CPU

11. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I've got a late 2007, C2D and my wife was commenting this morning "Wow! What'd you do to the computer? Safari's really fast..."

For my wife to notice a difference is a big deal... :D

Coachingguy

12. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

This. I am very happy with Safari at the moment.

13. hooneyrob macrumors member

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro - Safari was quick before Mountain Lion but I've noticed a real speed improvement since the upgrade.

14. todddixon macrumors newbie

Safari Flies

No doubt that safari is much quicker. Bang! Pages are loaded! Did some random testing by booting from lion and mountain lion systems then visiting uncached pages from various sites. Much different. Love it.

15. canuckle macrumors regular

I had to go out while the ML upgrade was installing, came back to check on it and was done. Signed in, and updated my apps (Pages, Numbers, iMovie, iPhoto). While this was going on, Safari would give a grey screen when using MT Gestures to go back. Either the wireless connection wasn't quick enough, or it was a product of lots going on. It would show the previous page, go grey, then come back 3-10 seconds later.

Last 45 minutes though, no issues.

And, it's Snappy!

16. echo44 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have put it on my new MBP retina 2.7/16gb also my MPP from last year,
    3 fully loaded desktops and 1 macbook air it seems slow on all of them.
    I tested my internet connection and the download speed is 64Mb/s

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

It's fine on my old 2009 iMac. Faster than on Lion, less buggy, etc. My connection is good though. (50/5)

18. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Echo,

Something seems wrong here. You're sure it's not 'placebo' effect, right? :) I'm not being tooo sarcastic, but honestly curious. It seems across the board...not just this thread but review folk as well...We're noticing faster 'snappier' performance comparatively speaking...compared (for me) to BOTH SL and Lion. I just updated my '09 Mac Pro last evening from Snow Leopard to ML. Very, VERY Happy!!!

However...there are very, VERY few folks on this planet that have the speed of connection that YOU happen to have. 64Mb/s download speed is ***** unreal! Especially in my neck of the woods (Alaska). My speed is 24Mb/s down/3 up. Not nearly as quick as yours...yet no slouch either (and I PAY for it:))...possibly the new Safari is optimized for slower, more mainstream broadband speeds? Again...total speculation. If you're noticing it on a half dozen computers, and I the exact opposite on the same amount of differing hardware...there's something weird.

Good Luck though...have you tried Chrome? Opera? FF?

J

19. Yofi macrumors member

I am having this problem too. Maybe Safari is less forgiving to slower internet connections (~3 Mbps here), because when I hit "back," the page I was on in Chrome will load and let me scroll/click in under a second while for Safari it takes approximately four seconds. This is a huge difference and makes it very painful to browse the internet. I am positive it isn't just a placebo effect…it seems like Safari is not at all remembering pages it was on and is reloading them from scratch every time I go back. :confused:

20. whbunn macrumors member

whbunn

I have found Safari to be much quicker in ML on 2007 iMac and 2011 MBP

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That is great!!!

22. scottfreeman macrumors newbie

scottfreeman

I'm currently using Safari 6 as my default, in place of Chrome. Not totally won over, but liking it so far.

It does seem more 'slick' - not perhaps faster technically, but certainly faster visually, and has much nicer UX.

However, I was on zeebox.com last night for the Olympics opening ceremony, and Safari on my MacBook was running at over 100% CPU, and using 2Gb RAM.

System became unresponsive, and I had to force quit. This happened every two hours or so.

The second time it happened, I left the iMac running the same page on zeebox.com on Chrome for comparison and it behaved perfectly.

Granted, the iMac is much more powerful than the MacBook, but it was still rather interesting.

23. ajmas, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

ajmas macrumors newbie

Its slow for me too. The scrollbars aren't responding properly either. Have started using Google Chrome as a workaround.

Edit: I just tried clearing the "application state" information fo Safari it seems to have made a difference:

~/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

24. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

I wanted to go back to Safari from Chrome after all these new things integrated, as I did that, started managing bookmarks and stuff, in an hour it crashed (Safari quit unexpectedly) about 6 times. So I tough I will hold of for a month or so.