Any one else recieved a faulty iphone 3G from the Carphone Warehouse?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adaml99, Jul 14, 2008.

1. adaml99 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm just wondering whether anyone else has managed to recieve a 16GB iphone from the Carphone Warhouse with a defected display? Or am I just the unluckiest iphone owner in the UK right now.

Apparently, I have to wait until the end of the summer for a replacement! Is this right?! - Should I be demanding a replacement phone to be given to me straight away?! I'm soooo so gutted :-( :mad:

2. ryanmanu macrumors regular

if i were you i would demand a new one!
    just dont take mine, should be coming this week even though it should have been on friday

3. WilliamUK macrumors newbie

My 16gb from CPW has the off-kilter silent switch issue. It's only a minor defect, but I would like to get it sorted as it seems that it can also result in it coming off completely.

I haven't spoke to CPW yet but their website suggests that they will exchange (as opposed to repair) within 28 days. Assuming that no stock will be available within that timescale I want them to put a note on my account that I can have an exchange after this time.

I bought it online but hopefully I'll just be able to swap it instore(?)

4. adaml99 thread starter macrumors newbie

The nice person on the end of the phone told me that I was one of the lucky ones to recieve my iphone today! Mmmmmmm... Yeah, 'lucky'.

Good luck with yours mate, lets just hope it wasn't the whole batch that had defected screens and yours is ok!

5. adaml99 thread starter macrumors newbie

According to the information that customer service gave me and the store assistant at my local branch (had to drop the faulty phone off to them), they said that they're unsure when they will be able to receive the 16GB in stock again so they couldn't commit to a specific time.

If I was you, I would make the call to them now and get your phone registered for a replacement. They'll then give you a call when they get some in stock and also give you preference over new customers. You should be able to pick it up at a store of your choice.

6. WilliamUK macrumors newbie

Okay, cheers - I'll give them a call later. As long as I can keep mine in the meantime, that's fine with me.

Did you not have the option of keeping yours for now or is it completely unusable?

7. adaml99 thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries. They said I could keep the phone, but I really didn't fancy going through the whole process of setting the new one up so I decided against it.

It's a bit of a shame because I'm off on hol tmw and I really wanted to take it with me! :-(

8. alexboy45 macrumors regular

if you are near an apple store take it to them and they might swap it out for you.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What's the problem with your silent switch? I got mine from CPW online and vibration has decided to stop working. I've done a power cycle and reset to no avail, so I'll try a full restore tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll be looking for an exchange too...

10. WilliamUK macrumors newbie

It's very slightly off angle. I can see some glue in the place where it should be. I think this may also be causing it to be a little stiff (though I'm trying not to use it in case it falls off). Looks like this has affected a few people:

http://www.appleiphoneapps.com/2008/07/ibroken-is-the-iphone-3g-on-its-way-to-a-recall/

11. pchilds80 macrumors newbie

Me to!

My iphone is also faulty with a defective sim card reader. Have been told they have no availabilty to give another one, and if a small supply come in, they will sell them first before exchanging for my faulty phone. Not happy...they would rather get new customers than keeping their existing ones happy.

12. adaml99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no replacement. Carphone Warehouse iphone shambles

Hi. Just back from my hols in Spain and still no sign of my replacement iphone! I've been told that all Carphone Warehouse stores will receive stock of iphones tomorrow (24th), so hopefully I should get my replacement then.

What really annoys me is that they (Carphone Warehouse) have been charging me line rental from the day I received the faulty item (14th) even though I've not been supplied with a phone to make any calls/texts from. I’ve called the store several times today asking for this to be rectified and an update, but unfortunately they didn’t didn't decide to answer their phone that day and I had to call the head office instead. Strangely, the head office tried getting in contact with the store but they couldn’t seem to get through either! In the end, they told me that all stores should receive stock so I should try calling the store again tomorrow. Huh? Ok, I’ve already paid £59.99 for the phone, £45 line rental, and most probably £10 worth of call charges to them from my landline phone, and still I’ve not received anything in return, don't I get at least an apology or somekind of refund on my line rental!!? :mad:

Furthermore, I sold my previous phone, the Nokia N95, and terminated my t-mobile contract so I won't have two phone contacts running in tandem but all has happened is that I've now been left with no phone altogether! - Which doesn’t really help given that I’m a high phone user and also needed my phone while I was abroad.

I can’t help feeling that Carphone Warehouse was the wrong route to go down in order to get an iphone. I think the 02 stores or web ordering would give me less trouble. Anyone agree/disagree?

Has anyone else had a phone call or been given any indication on when you'll receive your replacement?

13. pchilds80 macrumors newbie

Apple store

I went to the apple store in glasgow and got a replacement in about 10 minutes.

Go to the apple store, look for the retail link and search for the nearest store. (www. apple.com/uk/retail/) you will need to book in with a 'genius' but they will then swap it straight away. You will need your original receipt. Obvoiusly only heloful if you live by a apple store, but it was well wortha visit for me. They got it sorted no problem

CPW are to interested in selling them to care about fixing them...i will be thinking twice about giving them any business again.

14. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

I think you all need to read up on the Sales of Goods act.

If it's not fit for purpose take it back for a refund.

15. sunnym macrumors newbie

cpw a joke

had a problem with my iphone where it just turned of and refuses to power back up. took it inot cpw yesterday on carr house road, doncaster, where i was met by a useless set of sales staff you have ever met. after they refused to process an exchange because of the lack of a system being put in place to do this for the iphone 16g, i was told to toddle off and phone there cust support. when i did this i was told 'no u were lied to in branc, go back in and tell them to do it' i was thinking WTF, theyre just gonna do it cos i say so. went in today and again was dealt with by a useless excuse for sales team member, who told me sorry cant exchange as the new phones we get in can only be sold to new customers!! a joke. after having to calm myself down from knocking them out and argueing with them for 45 mins i walked out, broken iphone in hand.

got home and rang o2 who said no worries sir we'll have a replacement to you within 3 days. happy days!! well i hope. fingers crossed it turns up within 3 days.

learnt one important lesson in life: DO NOT EVER BUY FROM THE JOKE THEY CALL CPW!! :)

16. shiny-blanket macrumors member

Ended my contract with CPW (14 change of mind after 10 cold calls, been told I can't exchange a faulty phone and them adding the bolt on). Picked up a white 16Gb from Apple store today. Screen is much better.
    Support is direct with Apple now. CPW is like the middleman nobody wants nor needs.

17. philgilder macrumors 68000

thats carphone warehouses entire business model - never understood why people buy there! they have lousy staff, and there support must be the worst in the industry

at least o2 support is generally good
    fyi sunnym, o2 normally send out replacements next day, but maybe with the iphone demand it is 3 days....

18. muldul macrumors 6502

Demand a new one, it is carphone warehouses fault, not yours, you should have to pay for it. Contact apple, and demand a new one. Haven't they just got stock back in in england? I remember i sign outside my carphone warehouse saying stock is back in

19. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Yep, if you have an Apple Store close by, just take it there for a replacement. It's the manufacturer's warranty you will be taking advantage of.