Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Any one notices the cracking/popping sound of new 16 inch MBP?

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
for me, all three Mac laptops I’ve had... a 2015 Air, 2019 Pro, and the 2020 M1 Air now... they’ve all creaked to some degree, whether it’s opening the lid, etc. I’ve come to accept it at this point lol
Yeah the creaking is kind of unavoidable with thin and wide aluminum. My MBP creaked too, less, but it was also broken in. Only thing that pisses me off is my wife's Air is completely solid with no creaking at all, and she would never notice or care 😂

I'm wondering if this will break in over time too. Not nearly the issue that the speaker popping was, that was legitimately infuriating and clearly an actual hardware issue.

Comment

qecce

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Hi guys,

I am not sure if this was discussed before, but I can reproduce the popping/cracking sound when I am on the desktop, with the finder open. Then I hold the closing shortcut "command + q" for a while. For my machine this is the best way to reproduce it, it is clearly hearable.

My machine was just now updated to 11.0.1. Where it is still the same as before.

Cheers

Last edited:
Comment

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
The senior support guy got a reply from the Apple engineers and they are insisting that the 16" models are all going to make a popping noise and it's not going to get fixed because it's how the speakers work.

I've asked him to relay further information over in that it occurs over both Bluetooth and via an external USB DAC too but I'm not hopeful that I'll receive a satisfactory resolution.

I'm extremely unhappy with this MacBook and it looks like I'll just have to sell it as the type of work I'm trying to do is made very difficult with the popping noise, even if it's not something that the majority of people even notice.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.