Carrier any one still love the old ipad look and feel?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snow755, Feb 21, 2016.

1. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

the other day i order a Ipad 4 LTE from AT&T i still love the old look and feel of the ipad and it is this right i dont mind the new look of the airs but i still like the look and feel of the older ipad pluse this Ipad will be my main go too go tablet for LTE am no longer am i going too buy a smart phone and pay $80 a moth and i really dont have a hole lot of people calling me so today i got me a flip phone wish will do me good so my ipad 4 LTE will be my main LTE tablet

i no the ipad 4 is getting old now but since this is going too be uesd a lot when am out and about i did not want too get some in that going too be too fin

cant wait too buy a good case for the ipad 4 LTE from AT&T i all so cant wait too see what IOS it comes with

i may save up for a ipad air 3 or ipad pro for home uesd only but my Ipad 4 LTE will be my main go too go tablet

and by getting rid of my smart phone i am saveing $80 or more a moth so am happy about that

2. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

I have my IPad 4..and still love it! Have the IPad Pro and Pencil now so my 4 doesn't get used much at all but it works great and I throw it in a bag when I want to take my tablet out and about without worrying too much.

The IPad 4 is a great tablet no doubt, I got mine when it was first released and didn't upgrade until the IPad Pro.

Good luck with yours and the flip phone as well.

3. snow755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

snow755

4. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

5. Umbrarian macrumors member

I still love my ipad 3. It hampers my need to upgrade. I need to drop it or something or I am going to have it forever.

6. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Hated the large bezels and weight. Love my Air 2 in comparison

7. bufffilm, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

My ipad2 is still going strong. I may get the air3 if it gets 12 hrs battery.

One thing I'm going to hate though is having to go back to stock iOS again...my iPad2 has always been jail-broken. Little things like faster scrolling, custom layouts and keys will be missed. :(

It's crazy that Apple doesn't allow these simple mods...

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The iPad Air 2 is definitely the best looking iPad yet, IMO.

9. bensisko macrumors 65816

Ugh. The thing I hated about the older iPads was the 'bulge' and 'tapered' back - I really like the flat backs with the current iPads (air, mini, pro). Also hated the bezels. The air/mini/pro design is much better!

I keep thinking about getting rid of the iPhone because the Mini does a lot of what I want in s mobile device... BUT - in their infinite wisdom I can't sync my Watch with the mini, nor does the mini have the health app or Apple Pay for physical stores. Apple seems to not want you to be able to make the mini the center of your iOS experience instead of the iPhone.

10. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

Nope. While my iPad 4 served me VERY well, it was quite a heavy tablet, and those large bezels and sharp edges meant that a case is needed.

The iPad Air 2 is IMO, perfection, rounded chamfered edges, super light and thin, whilst keeping the same 9.7inch display size, by far the best iPad design wise. I've been using my Air 2 naked for a few days happily while waiting for a case, it is incredibly ergonomic.

The iPad 4 does win one major area, that huge battery that makes it so heavy, the iPad 4 has one of the largest if not THEE largest battery ever put in an iOS device, and my 3yearold iPad 4's battery still takes forever to drain. :)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My second gen iPad mini is showing its age, but its doing ok. A little slow at this point but its a decent small tablet.

12. Benny- macrumors regular

Benny-

I stil have mu iPad 3 that I bought on launch.
    Although it's a little slow it's still great for media consumption.
    I've seen no need for an upgrade over the pas few years.
    I don't like the feel of the iPad Air/2 when you tap the screen is feels incredibly fragile and thin compared to the bulky old 3.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Why did you hate the tapered back? It made a relatively thick device feel much thinner.

The iPad 3 and 4 had the largest batteries, but they also had the least efficient displays that required larger batteries. The iPad 3 and 4 got the best battery life for things that didn't require the screen to be on (music playback, hotspot, and standby) but it isn't much different than any other iPad when the screen is actually on.

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Nope. Still have a 4 that we use every day next to the Air 2. It feels so outdated compared to either of the Airs. Heavy and clunky with way too much bezel. The Air was the first iPad that I felt fulfilled the original iPad vision.

15. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

my first gen iPad mini is feeling it! may have to upgrade soon!

16. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

Very true, my Air 2 with high brightness does a great job battery wise, and doesn't heat up the way the 4 does in iOS 9. Been heavily using the A2 today, still got 77% and it's almost 4PM, it's not even a week old yet.

That's the 1st thing I though when I went back to check something in my 4, it is truly heavy, clunky and that bezel makes it look very old.

I also have the 1st gen Samsung Galaxy Tab10.1, that too is incredibly clunky, a bit lighter, but still hefty.

Amazing how far tablets have come actually, only now are they what they were meant to be originally.

17. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I find it funny that I didn't like the iPad Air's design at all when it was first revealed. I liked how the iPad 1st-4th gen had almost the same size bezel all the way around and how the back tapered. Now I look at the old design and also feel like it looks very outdated. The iPad Air 2 is definitely my favorite design now.

18. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I still like the iPad 2 design the best. The 3 and 4 were too heavy and thick, the Air 1 had a horrible feel to it the tapping. The Air 2 design is nice though. I feel that my iPad 2 was better on battery than the Air 1 and 2. Numerous family members who own the Air 1 (who I give tech support to) do not get the sort of battery life I get out of my iPad 2.

19. KaliPaige macrumors member

KaliPaige

The iPad 2-4 had a great feel... I loved the volume rocker design on them but found them to be a bit weighty for my liking, and without a case the edges would dig into my palms after a while. With a case, it was a bit bulky, but that alleviated the problem.

I have to say though that I greatly prefer the current iPad aesthetic. As much as I preferred the previous design's volume rocker and power button on the 2-4, the sheer thinness and rounded edges make the device comfortable and lightweight to hold for extended use, even if you slap a bulky case on one.

20. februarian macrumors 6502

februarian

That's a very interesting question, actually. I really like the feel my old iPad 2 has! But I also feel that the thinness of my Air 2 affords me the portability & convenience that's hard to match.

I only like the iPad 2 form factor cuz with it's weight and extra bezels it provides the solid feeling that very much offsets the unpleasantness and break points in your workflow that arise from animation stutters (all due to shoddy software optimization). On the Air 2, there is nothing to offset the ugly animation stutters and in my opinion it gives the device a very fragile feel.