Any opinions on the Dell 2208wfp monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 109%, Jan 25, 2008.

1. 109% macrumors member

109%

Hello all,

I'm just about to place an order for a Dell 2208wfp for my MacBook and wondered if anyone had a good reason why I shouldn't.

I don't do any pre-press or advanced graphics work, so I don't need anything spectacular (an ACD would be nice, of course - for looks, if nothing else; but funds don't allow :rolleyes:).

I've read in other threads here that the camera in the 2208wfp works fine with Leopard and I could use the extra USB ports (they'll work fine ... won't they?). DVI input, HDMI (whatever that is!) ... It all looks good to my inexperienced eye. If experienced eyes see something different, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Its a super cheap TN panel. Frankly, even if you aren't doing color critical work you would be much better suited but a 2007wfp or another S-IPS panel 20'' monitor. 22'' monitors in general are extremely low quality (except for a certain lenovo wuxga+ 22'') so I would steer clear.

But hey, its your choice. You can get the 2208wfp for around $230 with Dell's sale right now.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Got some suggestions or a site that lists current LCDs with S-IPS panels?

4. 109% thread starter macrumors member

109%

Hmmm. Now I'm properly confused. I don't even know what a TN panel is, but I assume it's bad. Would the quality be utterly dreadful or are we just talking comparisons with monitors that cost a lot more (which isn't an option, remember)?

I'm still liking that webcam and those ports ...

5. 109% thread starter macrumors member

109%

6. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I was just looking at this monitor too but the SP version with a built in webcam. Don't want a TN display though.

7. 109% thread starter macrumors member

109%

Just for comparison, is a TN much worse than what's in my MacBook (or my old G4 iMac, for that matter)?

Sorry, I don't know thing one about monitors.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I wouldn't think Apple would use TN displays.

You may find this useful. I sure did. This site explains that TN panels cannot produce the full 16.7million colours that the PVA and IPS panels can.

9. 109% thread starter macrumors member

109%

Oh, thanks for that. At least I don't feel quite as ignorant now.

10. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

No problems. I didn't know there were different types of panels until today :p

11. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

If accurate color reproduction isn't a big deal for you, then a TN panel like your Dell should be fine. Some people are just too quality-conscious. :) I have a Hyundai L90D+ external monitor which I'm pretty sure is a TN panel, and I prefer it to my MBP's LCD monitor. Although I would steer clear of the 22" panels as they are cheap for a reason; same resolution as 21" and 20" panels, so their dot pitch is lower (higher?), so it doesn't look as sharp. Whatever you get, make sure you have the right cables to connect it to your Macbook (miniDVI to DVI or miniDVI to VGA, etc.). DVI looks quite a bit better than VGA in my opinion though.

12. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I can vouch for this because I have a 22" HP Widescreen and it hurts my eyes because the picture's not very crisp.

13. 109% thread starter macrumors member

109%

Thanks all.

I'm not hearing a lot of love for the 22"-ness of it, although I'm inclined to agree that I wouldn't really be bothered by the fact that it's a TN panel. Don't think I'm that discerning ...

14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

To be fair, I think my HP is a TN panel. It's a HP w2207. It's not that bad apart from the 22"ness of it.

15. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

ok so what's the best monitor to get that isn't a TN panel?

16. 109% thread starter macrumors member

109%

... that also has USB ports and doesn't cost an arm and both legs. Lemme guess - it doesn't exist ...

17. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

18. 109% thread starter macrumors member

109%

Oh, nice! I hadn't seen that before because it's not for sale on the Dell site where I am (sunny Ireland).

Didn't know Dell sold through anyone else ...

19. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Just so you know, Overclockers are a very good company and reliable. I live right by them and buy all my PC parts from them and I've never been let down

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi