Any other android users giving the Iphone 5 a try?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacChinoNyc, Sep 15, 2012.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

And what android device are you coming from? Are you worried you'll miss any android features?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I switched from a Nexus One to the 4S last year and just ordered the 5. The biggest thing I missed was the built-in turn-by-turn navigation, but that's addressed by iOS 6. I didn't really miss widgets that much. The only other feature from Android that I would like to see at some point is the dashboard that lets you turn wi-fi, bluetooth, etc. on and off with a single tap.

3. Coffee87 macrumors regular

Coffee87

Switching from an EVO 4G. Won't miss it one bit. Slow, sluggish, the Swype keyboard sucks, having to purchase apps twice. After getting used to iOS with my iPads I'm really looking forward to the iPhone.

My wife is switching from an EVO 4G Shift. She'll miss the slide-out keyboard, but that's it.

4. 617aircav Suspended

Tempted but can't give up my AT&T $15 for unlimited Internet plan on my one x. Used the 4s before and the 5 isn't that much different. It's definitely better but I prefer android to ios. I can't change phones anymore, this year I've used htc trophy, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, galaxy note, galaxy nexus and now the htc one x.

5. lls4f macrumors regular

Switching from an EVO 4G. It's been a good phone, but it's two years old and will certainly never see another android update. I'm switching because I've got an iPad and a Macbook air. May as well complete the trio.

6. Omacc macrumors member

I am switching from Samsung Galaxy S2, not by choice but by default since it got messed up in water. If this did not happen to my old phone i would still be stuck on t-mobiles horrible network. So it is for the better forsure..

7. Chromie macrumors member

Me.

Had the OG Evo and the Evo 3D and quite frankly? I'm tired of Androids.

I rooted both devices, still doesn't match up to my friends iPhones. The iPhone has a HUGE support network from cases and accessories to apps and software. With Androids, it's like you buy it and the OEMs leave you to fend for yourself.

8. Kelly682 macrumors regular

I can't wait to get the iPhone 5. I'm coming from a droid incredible 1st gen. I won't miss how my droid freezes, scrolls through pages by itself, won't get anymore updates, how it reboots itself constantly. Oh and the call quality sucks. Camera app is a joke. It's slow, buggy and I personally think its possessed.

Pre ordered on the 14th, just waiting for the 21st to get here.

So long Android!!!!:D

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I'll eventually try it but not until I can get one off contract for about 300

10. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

The iPhone. Well engineered. Brilliantly designed.

Android. The thicker phone for you. Just another day enjoying the box.

11. ianrobgill macrumors newbie

Currently got a Desire HD and will be getting the iPhone 5 when it's available

Had a 3GS before the Desire HD and to be honest I prefer the iPhone experience.

I've been trying to talk myself out of it and get the GS3 but it's that big it looks like you are holding a dinner plate to your ear

12. Chaser81 macrumors newbie

I had an iPhone since the first one in 2007. Then I had a 3G then a 4, then a 4S.

With the 4S I used iOS6 and I started to feel really bored with the whole thing. There wasn't one thing I could put my finger on as to why I felt the desire to change, but I felt like iPhone wasn't doing it for me any more.

I then swapped my 4S for an HTC One X about two months ago. Been very happy with it. The screen size was the thing I most liked. I have large hands, so didn't find it cumbersome at all and loved the extra real estate for web browsing, videos, etc.

It was obvious to me that Android wasn't as polished as iOS but the software was more open/customizable and I found it a nice change.

With the iPhone 5 I am willing to give Apple another go. I am hoping the extra screen size makes this decision easier. I wouldn't have gone back to Apple if they had kept the screen at 3.5inches.

I know that Apple's new maps aren't as good as Google Maps, as I have used both, but I am hoping Google release their own Maps app to rival Apple's. If they do it will be a must-install.

13. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

I'm coming from an HTC Incredible 2 and am very excited about switching over. The only features of Android I can see myself missing are the LED notification lights they have, and ... Ummmmm... I think that's about it.

14. 617aircav Suspended

Troll

15. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Technically I'm switching from an Android since I've preordered the 5, and am currently using the Galaxy Nexus.

I bought my Nexus earlier this year to get a chance to try out an Android phone, and didn't want to get one that was locked to ATT, or was limited to Gingerbread.

And though I'm switching, I've used an iPhone since the 3G, then the 4. I bought the Nexus to see if I would like Android better. Also so I could give my iPhone 4 to my brother in law who is now driving a truck for a living, and needed a better phone on a prepaid plan that would also allow him to do internet.

My Nexus will be a backup phone for times I feel bored, and useful if either my sister ever needs an emergency phone or I do something not covered by warranty to my iPhone 5.

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Considering there hasn't been a single upgrade to the horrendous iOS keyboard, I wouldn't return.

17. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I recently switched, honestly i just got tired of iOS, and unless I am really blown away by the iPhone 5 when i see one in person, I'll stick with my HTC One X, atleast until Apple really innovates the hardware like they did with iPhone 4. Or if they decide to do a complete software revamp of the looks of iOS, like google did with ICS. But i highly doubt the 2nd one is gonna happen, why fix something that aint broke.

18. aml0609 macrumors member

Previous Samsung Galaxy S2 owner.

I previously owned an iPhone 3GS, but decided I wanted a little change and got the Samsung Galaxy S2.

I am going BACK TO THE iPhone!

I find that it is much more user friendly when owning an apple product. I like having iTunes to back up everything and it was very confusing to do this with my Samsung.

Cannot wait to have my iPhone back!!

19. blunti macrumors 6502a

From iPhone 4 I went to Galaxy Nexus, back to iPhone 5, baby!

20. leoneedees macrumors member

Currently rocking an original Droid Incredible, served me very well for 2+ years. But I am looking forward to a change with the Iphone 5. Nothing against the droid and would buy again, but in the end I just needed something new after being with android for the last 2 1/2 years. Can't wait for my Iphone to arrive.

21. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

Droid Incredible for 2 years. Ordered my iPhone 5 today. I don't think I'm going to miss it very much. My brother had the same phone and he decided to get the GSIII instead. He liked it more than I did.

22. iTalk macrumors member

Going from the Droid X to iPhone 5 (my first iphone). I'm not a 'fanboy' of either OS but personally I'm making the switch for the following reasons, not necessarily in order of importance:

1. More stable and streamlined UI
    2. Less buggy apps, hopefully fewer freezing issues
    3. Better integration with my MBP using iCloud
    4. Light weight and smaller screen. For me, the difference in weight and dimensions trumps any gains in user experience between a 4" and say S3's 4.8" screen
    5. I'm not sold on NFC yet
    6. Friends & family members who own Apple products with whom I can facetime and imessage for free using unlimited data
    7. More robust app store
    8. Availability of OS upgrades
    9. Better quality construction and hardware

The only thing I will miss is flash, and the only disappointment for me with the iphone 5 announcement is the inability to talk and surf on Verizon. That was almost a deal breaker. Almost.

23. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

How's jellybean on the Gnex?

24. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Nearly the same. HTC Desire. But there is no more flash on android (google removed it from the play store) I never needed it anyway. And as I am from Europe i don't care about Verizon ^^
    The only thing that sucks are euro prices (679€ for 16GB)

25. darster Suspended

Going to give the i5 a try. Currently have the Razr Maxx. Love the battery life and voice quality. Too much bloatware and 4G drops off when signal is weak too often. Screen quality average at best and doesn't integrate well with my other Apple devices. Will give the i5 a 2 week spin to see if I like it. If not, will return and stick with Maxx.