Any other designers struggling to use illustrator on the RMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mexico, Jul 24, 2012.

1. mexico macrumors member

Hey all. Im loving this macbook for all of my work except for illustrator. In all of the other programs the UI looks blurry but my work looks fine and it does not significantly impact my workflow. However, on illustrator the lines are all blurry and horrible even in the workspace. Is there any remedy for this? How are you all coping?

Example:
    [​IMG]
    Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 5.03.10 PM by m3x1can7, on Flickr

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Just got to keep praying for those nice adobe updates.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

plug in an external monitor until Adobe delivers.

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Use it in native 2880x1800 and deal with the small UI until an update comes.

5. dailybibliotaph macrumors member

No, I think he means a dot update, not a version update - thus free.

Unless, you're not running the latest Illustrator version, which would mean a lot of $$$$.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yep. Apple has been asking developers to include high-dpi compatibility for years now. The actual HiDPI mode that they're using with the RMBP first debuted to developers in the OSX Lion betas. Adobe could have already silently supported it before the RMBP launched if they really wanted to.

7. mexico thread starter macrumors member

it looks terrible even in the scaled resolutions. I haven't tried pixel for pixel yet but I imagine it won't be practical. Remember I do make money from my designs so While Adobe drags its feet on this my workflow is seriously mixed up.

----------

I really wish I could ditch Adobe. To put it lightly, they are *******s about their software. I know people using CS3 who needed to use hacked versions of CS 5.5 in order to put food on their kids tables. I mean we drop mega-cash on these suites and Adobe doesn't so much as sniffle in the direction of those who have older versions of their software. I'm guessing I'm going to have to drop a wad of cash on CS6 in order to make use of this display. Which in that case I will just buy a Cinema Display, believe it or not it is the cheaper option.

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

I'm in the same book. Shelled quite a
    Bit of cash on cs5, right before cs6 was announced. I have a sickening feeling that only cs6 will get a retina fix.

9. mexico thread starter macrumors member

The problem is that I enjoy working from coffee shops as it gets my creative juices flowing to change my surroundings. But I don't think I can justify $2600 just so I can be portable. Most of my work occurs in After Effects and Cinema 4d thankfully.

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

like i've said multiple times on here, the rmbp is not ready for design work using the usual adobe applications. an external monitor is a must until software gets updated. who knows when that will be.

----------

right. because buying the RMBP was a definite must? everyone knew adobe software wouldnt be ready for quite some time. who's fault is that for seriously mixing up your workflow?

11. mexico thread starter macrumors member

understand that the problem with Adobe is not just the Retina display issue. It is the fact that they will not go back and update their old versions for any reason whatsoever. I knew that going to the Retina would disrupt my workflow yes, but I have serious doubts that waiting to purchase the laptop after an Adobe update would have been a solution. The issue is not that they have not released an update. Its that when they do, they most likely will completely ignore users that are only one version behind. Let alone those still using CS3 and 4.

There is no reason that I should have to hold off on updating my ancient hardware because a software developer is slow on their feet to update.

Perhaps if Adobe made even the slightest hint towards an update, but no. They are silent and absent from these discussions which causes those who rely on their software to make a living to get restless. That is why I am posting this.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

This is one of the reasons that I'm glad I have a MBP that will still be usable for a few years. There's just going to be too many issues with trying to do design on the retina screen for now. It will all get sorted out in time, but for people that work in visual communications or art, I think there's just too many questions about how the retina MBP fits in and when the software will be optimized for it. Unfortunately, Adobe isn't usually one of the faster companies at making revisions to their software, so it's hard to tell when it will be ready for retina.

I think that when you're depending on your computer to earn a living, it's often better to not be on the bleeding edge of technology.

----------

I understand your feelings about Adobe, and your points are very valid. They are generally very lacking in customer service and listening to what their users want or need. Still, you made the decision to go with the retina MBP knowing that the older versions of the software likely wouldn't be updated. You could have purchased the older-style MBP, still had an updated machine, and one that would work well with your software for a long time to come.

13. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

No not at all, just hoping that these will be free updates to the suite seeing as cs6 has just come out.