Any other drummers/ musicians on here? Check out others covers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iLikeToDrum, Jan 1, 2011.

1. iLikeToDrum macrumors member

I bought a mac a few months ago hoping to learn software to record and make videos.

This guy does pretty much what I'd like to do, but he's better than I am at it. He did that Mike Posner Please Don't Go song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgcvBuEzr9Y

Anyone else know much on software for macs for recording? Preferences?

Any other Youtube cover people on here have advice also?

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Reaper is the cheapest, fully functional DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for Macs. It can be had for $40.

That guy is using a spaced pair of overheads, and a mic on each drum. You could get away using a pair of overheads, and a mic on the kick and snare. If you did this, you'd need a 4 channel audio interface (with 4 mic preamps, if you don't want to buy separate ones), 4 microphones, and 4 mic stands.

The Presonus Firestudio is probably the most popular entry level 8 channel audio interface. The MOTU 8 Pre is another. Personally, I'd step it up to the Profire 2626 if I were you. It has decent preamps (with 72 db of gain) and 20 db pads on each channel.

As far as microphones, the typical entry level drum setup is a matched pair of overheads, and a mic on the kick and snare. For cheap overheads, you can't go wrong with a matched pair of Joe Meek JM27's. For the snare, there's the ubiquitous Shure SM57. For kick, you could go with something like the Audix D6 or the AKG D112.

If you live in an area with a decent music scene, you can probably score these items for much less than retail. Of course, there are countless other microphone and interface options, but it would be impossible to cover everything.

That said, good luck with your setup.