Any other iP5 owners just disable LTE and do without?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DynaFXD, Oct 7, 2012.

1. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

We did not get our iP5s because of LTE. ATT's 3G speed has always been enough for my wife and I. That 'enough' includes using the phones as hot spots so the kids could watch Netflix on the iPads while driving down the PA Turnpike without hiccup, etc. Still, we had iP4s and we don't get a discount for being off contract...so we got the iP5s. The camera was our most desired upgrade and the rest of the phone is just the nads :).

When I noticed the LTE connection competing with our wifi, I just went ahead and disabled it on both iP5s and have not had a second thought about it. Sure, if I need to use my hotspot to help others connect while at a meeting or something I'll fire it up (never had to before). But otherwise ... eh. Beyond that I just am not enamoured with the speed benefits LTE offers and sould prefer to save my battery for other usage. I was just curious, for curiosity's sake, if others had a similar experience.

BTW, yes, I like the fact that the benefits of LTE are a 'slide switch' away. I just don't see it as a primary sales pitch to the average smart phone user. Media junkies and power users (80% of the time, probably the same thing I'd wager ;) ) may naturally have a different bent.

Cheers

edit: *owners

2. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

No I like to use one of the best features of the iPhone 5.

3. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

I plan on turning mine off when it's delivered tomorrow. No point in having it on when there is no LTE coverage in my area! Lol Did you notice any battery life increase when you did turn it off?

4. CatsTide macrumors 6502

I just like seeing the LTE in the status bar. :D

My battery is waaaay more than I need on a daily basis so I keep mine on.

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

I turned LTE off on the iPhone 5's I've handled. It increases the battery life and you can't really use LTE speeds without worrying about blowing through your data caps in a couple hours.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

We we with AT&T I keep LTE off most of the time because HSPA+ speeds are more than enough. I didn't buy the iPhone 5 because of LTE. My 4S on AT&T network performed well.

7. kalexn macrumors 6502

I have mine turned off. It is fast enough for me without it and I'd rather have the battery last longer. :)

8. Mikex6956 macrumors newbie

For me LTE is not working at all ! It mess with the 3G and the 4G .it cause the battery to drain too faster and cause connectivity networks issue!

THE LTE speed has attract everyone but for me it's more like a false lying selling attraction because it's not stable at all and it has not been test on every provider before the lauch of the iphone 5 .
    Maybe one day but not for tomorrow .

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I leave it on here in Tampa, but when I am on the road for my job (locations three hours away) I disable it.

By the way, I streamed music for a couple of hours yesterday, used turn by turn, uploaded about 60 photos, and emailed and browsed, all on LTE. Used 122mb.

10. DynaFXD thread starter macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Interesting to hear everyone's opinions :D Like a 300 HP V-8, I guess it is nice to know the power is there if you need it. However, I kinda like my 90HP TDI Jetta. Since 99 I never "needed" super HP. So, yes I am happy to have the option. Just would not make that a high priority in my buying decision at his point.

I am a bad data point as I have not really lived with LTE on. I will say that [without LTE enabled] my battery easily lasts a day or two with casual web surfing, a little hotspot usage, and a lot of podcasting (DL'd, not streamed). No complaints here.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

With a side by side comparison I don't notice a significant difference between 4G and LTE.

I think AT&T in general didn't need LTE as much as others because AT&T network has gotten significantly better. I was very happy how my AT&T 4S performed. I would have been just as happy with a non LTE iPhone 5.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Actually LTE was the only reason I updated. Otherwise the 4s is basically identical.

13. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

That's because 4G is LTE.

14. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I did for 2 days and didn't notice that much difference in battery life, if at all. I have LTE coverage where i live and once you're spoiled with it, its hard to go back. But i can kinda understand what you mean by AT&T 3G (well, 4G) being good enough. I too live in PA and their coverage seems to be pretty spread out and speedy, compared to Verizon which seems to have neither.

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

AT&T 4G isn't LTE.

16. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

4G in the status bar indicates that its on AT&T HSPA+ network with 14.4 mbps down

LTE means its on AT&T LTE network with 100 mbps down.

Slight difference :)

17. jumpmandds macrumors regular

I'm enjoying my unlimited on Verizon with LTE I love the speed

18. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I had LTE on for the first few days and loved to see the 50Mbps download speeds on a speedtest but quickly realized it didn't actually make anything I was doing faster. HSPA+ in Toronto is 5Mbps at least and I normally hit 9Mbps. Videos and music can only stream as fast as they will play and webpages/email can only load as fast as you can see them. I basically run an entire 5 person office on a 10Mbps line. I'd rather get better battery life than be visually satisfied with a speedtest or LTE icon in the status bar. If I were in an area where HSPA was really slow but LTE was still blazing, I'd toggle over but I'm not sure that's usually going to be the case.

19. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm in Philly and get good HSPA+ speeds as well.

I would assume those that had the 4/S on VZW are happy to be on LTE with the 5 because of much slowe network than AT&T. Those with AT&T already experience good speeds for the most part.

The people I talked to couldn't wait for a VZW LTE iPhone because data speeds were slow.

20. alent1234 macrumors 603

21. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Haven't read that anywhere else and certainly hasn't been my experience. iPhone does get better results on LTE versus other smartphones but I'm pretty sure it's more battery intensive than 3G and HSPA+/4G.

22. SunnyFL macrumors regular

Was in Tampa a few weeks ago with my Sprint I5 and turned LTE on but my phone never changed from 3G I was between the Brandon area & the fairgrounds.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

LTE is not a big deal if you have AT&T 3G/4G, but if you're on a CDMA network like Sprint and Verizon who's 3G network averages less than 1 Mb / s download, LTE is quite noticeable.

24. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

See, that's half my data plan gone in one day. LTE speeds are great and all, but you have to be willing to pay through the nose for it.

25. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Having a Verizon iP5 with an AT&T data plan I have no option as LTE isn't available on my device.

The 4G seems to be just fine. Having a page open almost instantly- can't imagine the true, real life difference.