Any other MBP owners feeling really SMUG at the moment!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neutral Gamer, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

For months now various people on these forums have recommended to others that they'd be mad to buy a MBP when an upgrade was so imminent in January. This despite the fact that there were NO leaks or rumors from websites that suggested anything of the kind. Only an ultraportable MacBook was rumored. People instead seemed to have got it in their heads that it was simply "time" for Apple to upgrade the MBP.

Now that Apple have NOT upgraded the MBP in any way at all, I'm feeling even better about my MBP which I've had for nearly 5 months now. People said the same thing about Leopard and how you should wait so you got it included with a new Mac. I didn't wait. I wanted my MBP and I bought it and bought Leopard a month later.

Let this be the warning bell for those not buying a product because they are scared of it being upgraded. If you want or need a product, just BUY it and enjoy it. I've been enjoying mine, and so I imagine, have many other MBP owners.

Even today there are still people saying that there will be a silent upgrade in the next few weeks, still clinging onto hope.

If you let your constant paranoia about buying an out of date product affect you then you will end up buying nothing!

Go forth and do the right thing folks. Join us. You won't regret it. :)

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

And if Apple announces said upgrade next Tuesday so as to not step on the toes of the MacBook Air launch? ;)

I have an MB and MBP and just bought an Air because it fits my needs as a travel laptop (where I don't need the extras the MB offers and I want to save weight and size).

If I did not have any laptop, I'd wait a week to see if Apple slips in an update for the MBP. If they did, I would have bought it. If they didn't, I still would have bought an MBP.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've got a Macbook, and I feel the same way. For weeks, people were forecasting all sorts of dark magic about coming updates, and a lot of people let their greed get the best of them. Where are they now? No new computer, with several weeks (months?) wasted. I'd like to say "learn from this!", but I don't think folks will. Oh well! :D

4. Neutral Gamer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Then I'll obviously be eating my hat ... :D

Still, even if they did upgrade it slightly that shouldn't put people off their already impressively specced and beautifully designed MBP's. :)

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

And i'm still trundling along perfectly fine with my 1st generation macbook with no thoughts of upgrading. The macbook hasn't been updated in any significant way for the average user since it was released in my opinion.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Exactly. Just processor, drive, and memory bumps. If you don't need that stuff (or are willing to up the latter two on your own), there's very little reason to keep looking toward the Next Big Thing apple releases. So many people don't get that, and trap themselves in endless cycles of buying and waiting; in the meantime, other folks are happily *using* their gear, instead of resenting it. Cheers to that.

7. Beowulf666 macrumors regular

Beowulf666

Well i bought my macbook just a few weeks ago and I can safely say that I am currently very happy with my purchase and that I am glad I did not wait for the "MBP update". However, For those people who did wait, it's not like they lost money or anything. And nobody held a gun to their head and said wait, it was their choice, and i'm sure they can safely purchase a new MB or MBP and not worry about any major upgrades any time soon.

8. theman macrumors 6502a

i dont think they are coming out with anything that would make my SR mbp obsolete... hopefully they don't add the multitouch trackpad... i would be jealous then. it looks amazing for a back/forward button in browser. i miss using my mouse that had easy back/forward buttons, gestures would be sweet.

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

All I can say is you will be a greater fool to buy now.

I for one refused to be blackmailed by Apple by their lax product release schedules. I do believe at some point (soon) Apple will need to do something when their Macbook Pros with huge 160GB harddrives are put side by side Dells with harddrives twice that and a later generation of processors.

Free market forces aside, the new keyboard on the Air and the multi touch trackpad are just hints of things to come, any fool who buys now is seriously... just a fool.

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It's not really "hope" that we're clinging too - Intel's Penryn CPUs are out there and Apple won't want to be much behind the PC camp so they'll integrate them into their product in the near future. Might be a day, might be a week, or might be a month. Hell, maybe 2. But the smugness might wear off by then.

11. mongoose8p macrumors regular

As would I
    just an idea...
    if they were to do this we might be able to purchase new top cases as they have the keyboard and trackpad built in... so therefore we could buy new top cases and manually add them?? although the multitouch pad might require more wiring but just an idea

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yup, feeling very smug about my MacBook Pro, and still glad I spent the money I did in the first place.

Mind you though, I always have been...

13. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm a bit torn to be honest. I have a MBP but was going to sell it to buy the updated one, but the good thing is, I'll get a slightly better price for it now because MacWorld has been and gone without a MBP update.

Would still love to see an update to the MBP and the iMac specs too before I buy.

14. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Bought my MBP in December.. was very happy then and I still am now (Even if they had done another incremental update today)

The laptop is the best one out there.. and when the next one arrives to take its crown.. it will be slightly better.

I just have a hard time buying gear when it hasn't had an update for 6+ months.. otherwise who cares. Curb your ego.

15. bov macrumors 6502

i do feel quite smug at the moment :D

ahhhh this is a great feeling...

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

the macbook first, then the imac, then the apple wireless keyboard, now the macbook air - it's obvious that apple is standardizing around the "chicklet" keyboards and a new design - i'd feel DUMB, not SMUG, if i bought the last macbook pro before that update!

17. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Ha! i sold my MacBook Pro, cos i thought come MacWorld the resell value would drop vastly... erm. i hope one comes out in the next couple of weeks, cos otherwise i will be ANGRY:mad:

18. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

uh, why?

The MBP is an awesome computer the way it stands.

A new design is a long way off.

if you need a computer now as a lot of use have, buy now.

The REAL MBP update is probably not going to happen until next fall: if you can wait 6 to 9 months, great.

If not, why not buy now, use it, pay for it, and get a new one next year. This cycle will never end.

19. Sean9689 macrumors member

After the new update comes out (whenever that might be), people will be saying "should I wait..." again. It's a never ending (and annoying) thing.

20. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

...glad I never waited for a refresh on the Mac Pro. I bought mine shortly after the 8 core model was released in 2007. I needed the computer then, and am glad I didn't hold off for an update. I was even advised not to buy it then because the Mac Pro case has been the same for so long... oh well.

21. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Smug? No.

My MBP - even though I went for the "lowest" spec 2.2ghz with a Superdrive - suits my needs perfectly.

I needed something that could replace a desktop (check!) had 'burning' capabilities (check!) had enough 'juice' to allow me to run Photoshop (check!) and had enough hard disk to store an extensive amount of digital images (digital photography is my bag) - check!

All round, I looked at the Mac Book, the Mac Book Pro, and plumped for what I needed - a Mac Book Pro.

Yes, they've not announced any MBP updates (so what? - a minor CPU 'nudge would do what for me, exactly?)

And yes, the Mac Book Air is a fantastic product (hey, I'd put money on that my Managing Director might order one tomorrow!) but for me, for my needs, I'm glad I went Mac Book Pro.

22. Sean9689 macrumors member

Sounds just like my reasoning!

23. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Amen brother! I have an mbp rev-c 2.16GHz that I got december of 06 and I am still as happy as ever with it! :D One thing I do suggest though, BUY APPLECARE FOR IT. Best decision I have made in a while.

24. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Holy crap man! That's exactly why I got my MBP! And I've been loving it ever since.
    *high five*

Glad I didn't wait:)

25. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I only have a MacBook, but I'm sure glad I bought it last November instead of waiting for MWSF!

Still, I envy the Air's waaay cool backlit keyboard. :cool: