Any other proud iPhone 2G users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alaerian, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I feel like I'm the only one left! I still use my original 16GB iPhone 2G, and I love it! I've felt no reason to upgrade yet - none of the new features have really felt useful enough for me to throw down any money.

Has everybody moved on but me? :)

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You have no idea what you are missing out on.:D

3. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

As good as the iPhone 2G was, just the speed difference alone between the 2G and 4G is enough to warrant an upgrade, especially if you lose it a lot of playing games and even have it Jailbroken, I actually picked up another iPhone 2G a few months back while I was waiting for the 4 to come out and I have to say that it was excruciatingly slow!

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

..... 3 years ago. Now you should be ashamed! No 3G no ram no a4 bad camera no front camera no video recording multitasking or 4.0 in general no voice control mms or tethering bad screen Ect

5. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on how you use your phone. If you are just using it for some occasional calls and as an iPod I am sure it would be more than enough...

I imagine your are not a big mobile data user?

6. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

7. Alaerian thread starter Guest

Alaerian

No 3G - I very rarely browse the internet unless I'm on WiFi.
    Bad camera - says who? The picture quality is perfectly fine for quick snapshots.
    No front camera - Seems very gimmick-y to me. Face Time appears very useless.
    No video recording - this is what I have a video camera for.
    Multitasking - what do I need to multitask?
    No voice control - I've never once desired this
    No tethering - I've been able to tether for a while with a jailbroken phone
    No MMS - I've also been able to do this for a while with a jailbroken phone
    Bad screen - ... again, says who? If it was all that bad, I doubt we'd have seen 3 models with the same screen. I believe what you meant here was "a non-better screen"

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

You could be right, you might be alone on this one!

Don't get me wrong. The original iPhone was an amazing device for its day. My 3rd fav phone behind my iPhone 4 and Nokia N82. But once you own the 4 and get spoiled by the speed, better camera, HD video recording, and Retina Display, it is hard to go back to the original. I have an app to check how much free memory I have. I sometimes could bring it down 110MB and I am not multi-tasking all that much. The original iPhone has only 128MB of RAM and would be crashing from Safari or my apps by then. It really all depends how you use your phone. I use my phone alot for web browsing and the original just wouldn't cut it for me.

9. Amino Man macrumors 6502

I didn't think there are any "proud" original iPhone owners.

They're just the one's walking around pretending their iPhone is still top-notch, but inside they're thinking "Man, I really wish I had one of them iPhone 4s, they're so nice!"

10. JonBook Pro macrumors member

No, it sucks. Badly. As an iPhone user for 3 years who has recently upgraded to the iPhone 4, it has absolutely no comparison. It even pales in comparison to my Samsung Blackjack.

Until you've actually tried it. Nothing beats seeing someone via camera from half way across the globe.

Not sure about you, but I always carry around a phone, not a video camera.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

You don't seem to have high standards for current technology.

I'm one of those that would mind carrying another device like a video recorder. Cycorder just won't cut it. The HD recording on the iPhone 4 is even better than the one found in my P&S Canon. Another very underrated feature the iPhone 4 has is the LED flash that could be used as a flashlight. The other day, I was sitting in my car and the keys accidently slipped out of my pocket toward a very obscure corner at the bottom of the driver seat. Opened the flashlight app, and found it. The original iPhone has a flashlight app that uses its screen, but you can't video record which is perfect for some late-night coitus in a dark room. Then I have this app called Private Info ($1.99) that hides everything naughty from the camera roll. FaceTime is for that SexyTime.

Not to offend the iPhone 2G owners because I was an owner myself. But the iPod touch 4 is better than the original iPhone as a practical device. But since I don't want to carry around two devices, iPhone 4 is good enough for me.

12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'm still a 2G user, I just don't use it as my primary phone anymore.

I had my 4GB 2G from 2007 until the day the iPhone 4 came out, and loved every minute of using it. Although I like all of the new features of the iPhone 4, I still have to say that the 2G is a better-feeling device. I still don't think that Apple has made a more physically attractive or solid phone since the 2G. I have dropped that thing so many times, and it has survived with not more than a few scratches and a ding in the aluminum on a corner. And I don't use cases, not on the 2G, not on the 4. I still use my 2G today as a fun hacking device, seeing just how far the old little guy can be pushed.

And lo, those are my opinions. Feel free to tell me how horrifically wrong I am :)

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Before the iPhone 4 came out, I was using my original iPhone all the time. Since I have had the iPhone 4 on launch, I have gotten it out maybe twice just to charge the battery and then I put it away again. I really don't miss it. I won't sell it though.

14. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Uhm the only reason the iPhone is cool is because it's high end technology, by saying you don't need/like/want all the cool technological things, you might as well just say you don't need the iPhone period and a lg dumbphone is good enough.

15. Adisah macrumors regular

Heck yeah! Still rocking that 2g. I would get a white iPhone 4 but they are not available yet. Either the shipping dates come down to 24hours for the black iPhone or the white iPhone 4 releases whichever comes first, then I'm purchasing. Until then, I'm sticking with this.

It's a little bit slow sometimes but it gets the job done very well. I'm sad that the screen is cracked through the middle but at least it still works.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0852 by Adisah, on Flickr

[​IMG]

16. Alaerian thread starter Guest

Alaerian

That's not true. Not even remotely.

I love my iPhone, and I simply don't seen the need for anything else they've added since the 2G came out - FOR ME. I'm thrilled to pieces that so many people are happy with their newer versions - I love that the general population has embraced the iPhone as a great product! When the original iPhone came out, it had exactly what I wanted (not even including that I had been WAITING for an Apple phone for a long time - I'm a admitted Mac junkie). I liked the ability of having a full featured phone, iPod, decent PDA, quick shoot camera, and the (eventual) ability to run the apps that I wanted.

However, FOR ME, I just don't need all the extra "shtuff" - I don't need a video camera, because I don't shoot video. EVER. If I intend on shooting video, I take my video camera with me. The camera has never once bothered me, because I use it for quick snapshots. If I intend on taking GOOD high quality photos, I take my digital camera with P&S and manual options with me. For me, FaceTime is gimmick-y and useless. I have not a soul that I would need to use it for.

I see absolutely no reason to upgrade when my 2G is well-broken in and perfect for what I do. I suppose it would be fair to say that I may upgrade to an iPhone 4 eventually, as I would like having a higher capacity for a growing music collection.

I find it extremely humorous that several of you think I'm a mouthbreathing idiot for not wanting features that I neither use nor want. Well, to each his own! :)

17. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

If I had one I'd rock it. I love my iPhone 4 (my first iPhone) but I'm sure the 2G would have knocked the socks off the crappy BlackBerry Storm I used for almost 2 years. Besides, I only use my iPhone 4 to make phone calls, send text messages, and occasionally to quickly check email - for everything else I use my iPad.

Honestly I think I'm wasting an iPhone 4 since I don't use it to browse the web or play games but I feel confident that it will last me for several years to come (unless I drop it, lol).

18. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Just like religion.......in denial.

You enjoy your Mazda miata while I have fun in my Aston Martin DB9

I don't really think you mean "proud" either.....

The great thing about iPhones is you pretty much only have to buy it once. They have such a high retail value, you could get the same if not a little more a year later then upgrade to the new model. That train left a long time for you tho buddy

19. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

True that, each year I sell my current iPhone which I paid full price for contract free in order to buy the next iPhone for full price contract free and each year I only end up losing about £60-80, iPhones are such good phones to own :D

20. Alaerian thread starter Guest

Alaerian

Your comparison makes absolutely no sense. You might want to rethink that.

What's with the hostility? Jesus christ. Get over yourself. I'm sorry if my choice offends you and your precious iPhone 4. I wondered why I hadn't posted on these forums much, even though I've been a registered member since 2005.

Attitudes like yours make that perfectly clear.

Grats, internet tough guy, on causing a perfectly friendly member to rethink her decision to become a part of this community.

21. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Here is the problem... Anyone on an iPhone 4 LOVES having faster 3G for data on the go vs slow dial up EDGE speeds. Anyone on an iOS 4 loves quick launching / background. Anyone on an iPhone 4 loves the higher rez retina display or the zero lag. You can keep telling yourself how you don't NEED something but guess what, the iPhone is all about having what you don't NEED.

22. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

yup im loving my 2G iphone still..iOS 4.0.1 is awsome on it:D:p

23. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

You don't "need" any of these new features, but after using one, you wouldn't be able to go back

24. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

uh, what?
    i may not be thinking all that straight because i'm sick as a dog and am in bed all day

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Still have my 2G which is jailbroken and allowed me to make it better with the likes of video recording and watch TV shows on it, etc.
    However, i am using a Android now(Vibrant) and really there are a couple things i wish i could still do but glad i upgraded. I actually had to use the 2G today though because i didnt charge my battery and it was about dead (4%). Using it today comfirmed that it is slow compared to what i have now.
    The 2G is in very good shape though. All i have to do is fix the silent button and it is in excellent condition .